fbpx

Alaska Ice Sculture Competititon Masterpieces

Home Forums Miscellany Community Alaska Ice Sculture Competititon Masterpieces

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Participant

Each year Fairbanks Alaska holds its annual Ice Scultping Competition. Some of these sculpts are unbelievable works of art.

Alaska magazine published some of the photography and its available online also. Many of the nature & animal sculpts are just fantastic. My favorite is the tiger & wolves. Also a pretty winged horse. Just amazing talent on display by these worldwide artists.

Here’s a link to some of the photos, for those of you who have any interest;

http://alaskaphotographics.photoshelter.com/search?_bqO=100&_bqH=eJzLjMoJS_EoCKgyS_MsNAiOKsvQzcgqNiqL97GwsjQwsjI0MABhIOkZ7xLsbFueX5STop2ZnKqdWFSi5hkfGuwaFO_pYhsKUmNeWFGW7RVZFmzoqQZWHu_o52Jbohbv6BxiW5yaWJScAQC7biMB&ppg=100

Prezaurian
      Participant

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing! Ice and sand sculpting is always so interesting to look at. Though the lighting potential with ice is fantastic!

Falcolf
        Participant

Those are crazy beautiful, I love the lighting! 😀

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Mary
          Participant

Agree that it’s a shame that after spending so much time and effort to create such beauty, it ends up melting. I guess the artist can refer back to the photos which make the art more permanent.

StormDancer
            Participant

I love the ice sculptures! I love sand sculptures as well. Just amazes me how beautiful they are.
              But man the time and effort put into them, just to see them slowly melt, can’t be easy on most of the artists either.

It’s like that ice hotel they build each year in Sweden. They spend spring planning it, as soon as they can they build it, people stay in it thru the winters (No Heating) and then they start all over again each year.

Here is a link to a video on some of it. And yes all the glasses at the bar are made out of ice as are the beds!

Looking for:
              "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Prezaurian
              Participant

Definitely something special about temporary art. It’s hard to imagine putting all that time and effort into something only to have it melt, or wash away (sand and sidewalk chalk art) or get eaten. Its like mankind’s way of imitating the temporary beauties that nature creates. Like blooming flowers or the changing leaves.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.