fbpx

Airbrush Question

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Airbrush Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

www.nakaseart.com

I’d like to ask the Windstone Staff this question actually.

What kind of airbrushes do you use for the Windstones? I’ve recieved some birthday money, and was hoping to invest it into a nice airbrush, asscessories, and a few PYOs. Is there a specific brand that is the best? Certain paints, tips, etc??? All I have to spend is $350, and if I can’t get the airbrush, I’ll be looking into Corel Painter 11.

Thank you in advance for your replies and your time,
    ~Nakase

www.nakaseart.com

Pam

Painter is cool, but if you decide to get it, make sure your comp has a very good processor. My e7200 @ 2.53 ghz is able to run it but only if i use small brushes. You would need a wacom tablet too in order to take full advantage of Painter’s features.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

I recognize that gold dragon sprite from the Dragon Cave forums. Are you the same Nakase who is working on the potential gold dragon replacement sprite? I use the same name in both forums.

Pam Thompson wrote:

Painter is cool, but if you decide to get it, make sure your comp has a very good processor. My e7200 @ 2.53 ghz is able to run it but only if i use small brushes. You would need a wacom tablet too in order to take full advantage of Painter’s features.

I have a wacom graphire, and I have a 1.6 ghz Dual Core but I really would like to look into the airbrush first :

pegasi1978 wrote:

I recognize that gold dragon sprite from the Dragon Cave forums. Are you the same Nakase who is working on the potential gold dragon replacement sprite? I use the same name in both forums.

I am the same Nakase <3

www.nakaseart.com

Melody
        Keymaster

Nakase wrote:

What kind of airbrushes do you use for the Windstones? I’ve recieved some birthday money, and was hoping to invest it into a nice airbrush, asscessories, and a few PYOs. Is there a specific brand that is the best? Certain paints, tips, etc??? All I have to spend is $350, and if I can’t get the airbrush, I’ll be looking into Corel Painter 11.

~Nakase
          “We use imported Iwata*** trigger type airbrushes. I don’t think this exact model is available in art stores.”
          ** Edited** I think I am wrong about the brand most of our airbrushes are! I found an unopened airbrush box and it doesn’t say Iwata on it anywhere, perhaps these are not Iwata brand after all. The box is marked “Fuso Seiki” .

I just did a google search and didn’t find the airbrushes we use; I could only find the bigger “spray gun” models that look like them.

I don’t know much about the button types that are available, though I do love the brand bwe use! The parts go together so nicely that they don’t leak. Maybe all modern airbrushes are as well machined now, but I know my old Pasche and Thayer-Chandler needed to have their leaky nozzles sealed with wax each time they were removed and replaced.
          The only problem we have ever had with ours is with the weld on the paint cups breaking, but even that problem has been rare among our hundreds of hard-used airbrushes.( As I edited above, these are not Iwatas after all! unless the name “Fuso Seiki” is another name they use)
          You will also need an air supply ( bottle or compressor), and some kind of regulator and air dryer on the line. Water in the lines is less of a problem with painting gypsum sculpture because it likes moisture, but it is aggravating to have your carefully airbrushed piece of 2d art wrecked with a droplet of water splatted on it!
          A good book on airbrushing: http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Painting-Art-Techniques-Projects/dp/0871921383
          This is written by my college airbrush teacher!

Corel Painter makes my computer burn up, but it is SOOO neat! (I have manged to use that program by putting packs of “blue ice” around the processor, but that’s kind of a nuisance!)

Melody wrote:

Nakase wrote:

~Nakase
          We use imported Iwata trigger type airbrushes. I don’t think this exact model is available in art stores.

I just did a google search and didn’t find all the sizes we use; I could only find the bigger “spray gun” models.

I don’t know much about the button types that are available, though I do love Iwata brand! The parts go together so nicely that they don’t leak. Maybe all modern airbrushes are as well machined now, but I know my old Pasche and Thayer-Chandler needed to have their leaky nozzles sealed with wax each time they were removed and replaced.
          The only problem we have ever had with Iwatas is with the weld on the paint cups breaking, but even that problem has been rare among our hundreds of hard-used airbrushes.
          *Edit* You will also need an air supply ( bottle or compressor), and some kind of regulator and air dryer on the line. Water in the lines is less of a problem with painting gypsum sculpture because it likes moisture, but it is aggravating to have your carefully airbrushed piece of 2d art wrecked with a droplet of water splatted on it!
          A good book on airbrushing: http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Painting-Art-Techniques-Projects/dp/0871921383

Corel Painter makes my computer burn up, but it is SOOO neat! (I have manged to use that program by putting packs of “blue ice” around the processor, but that’s kind of a nuisance!)

Thank you so much for replying πŸ˜€ <3

I too did a quick google search and I think I may have found the “trigger” type you are talking about.
          http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Revolution_Airbrushes.html – at the bottom of that page there are two types of trigger airbrush guns. The one with the longer trigger seems to be a better idea, and is still within my budget.

They have so many different types of hoses too, what is good? They also have that filter thing you suggested. πŸ™‚

The site also has these bottles( http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Medea_Bottles_and_Assemblies.html ) do you have to have one for every color you have?

I understand the best will be pricey, and I want to get something reliable since I’m going to be investing so much into it. I deeply appreciate you helping me with such a big decision.(The father-in-law wants me to do a painting on his motorcycle once I get good enough)

www.nakaseart.com

Melody
          Keymaster

Nakase wrote:

Melody wrote:

Nakase wrote:

~Nakase
            We use imported Iwata trigger type airbrushes. I don’t think this exact model is available in art stores.

I just did a google search and didn’t find all the sizes we use; I could only find the bigger “spray gun” models.

I don’t know much about the button types that are available, though I do love Iwata brand! The parts go together so nicely that they don’t leak. Maybe all modern airbrushes are as well machined now, but I know my old Pasche and Thayer-Chandler needed to have their leaky nozzles sealed with wax each time they were removed and replaced.
            The only problem we have ever had with Iwatas is with the weld on the paint cups breaking, but even that problem has been rare among our hundreds of hard-used airbrushes.
            *Edit* You will also need an air supply ( bottle or compressor), and some kind of regulator and air dryer on the line. Water in the lines is less of a problem with painting gypsum sculpture because it likes moisture, but it is aggravating to have your carefully airbrushed piece of 2d art wrecked with a droplet of water splatted on it!

Thank you so much for replying πŸ˜€ <3

I too did a quick google search and I think I may have found the “trigger” type you are talking about.
            http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Revolution_Airbrushes.html – at the bottom of that page there are two types of trigger airbrush guns. The one with the longer trigger seems to be a better idea, and is still within my budget.

They have so many different types of hoses too, what is good? They also have that filter thing you suggested. πŸ™‚

The site also has these bottles( http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Medea_Bottles_and_Assemblies.html ) do you have to have one for every color you have?

I understand the best will be pricey, and I want to get something reliable since I’m going to be investing so much into it. I deeply appreciate you helping me with such a big decision.(The father-in-law wants me to do a painting on his motorcycle once I get good enough) Oh yeah! Those are very similar to the ones we use, but ours have black grip handles, like a gun. These must be a newer style. Looks as if the cups aren’t removable, so these may be a little harder to clean, but maybe less likely to break.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I have used Corel Painter for years and years so if you have a question you’re welcome to ping me! IT doesn’t make my computer run hot– processor speed is important, but in reality it relies more on RAM and the ability to talk to your harddrive(s) fast. If you are beefed up on RAM and have some fast hard drives, it will preform well even on ‘slower’ processors, within reason.

There are ways to greatly decrease brush lag, too.

Also, I’d recommend either waiting a year before getting Painter 11, as new software by Corel is always very buggy (give them a year to patch it a few times) or invest in Painter X. There are free 30-day trials you can download and see if you like it or not. I use it exclusively for my work.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Melody
              Keymaster

Jennifer wrote:

I have used Corel Painter for years and years so if you have a question you’re welcome to ping me! IT doesn’t make my computer run hot– processor speed is important, but in reality it relies more on RAM and the ability to talk to your harddrive(s) fast. If you are beefed up on RAM and have some fast hard drives, it will preform well even on ‘slower’ processors, within reason.

Also, I’d recommend either waiting a year before getting Painter 11, as new software by Corel is always very buggy (give them a year to patch it a few times) or invest in Painter X. There are free 30-day trials you can download and see if you like it or not. I use it exclusively for my work. I find painter number…uh, -whatever number the one is with the ugly hand with fingers- is extremely glitchy!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Melody wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Also, I’d recommend either waiting a year before getting Painter 11, as new software by Corel is always very buggy (give them a year to patch it a few times) or invest in Painter X. There are free 30-day trials you can download and see if you like it or not. I use it exclusively for my work. I find painter number…uh, -whatever number the one is with the ugly hand with fingers- is extremely glitchy!

Painter 9 IS very glitchy! I found that painter X still has glitches, but they are far, far less. I haven’t had painter X eat any of my art so far, and painter 9 (the creepy fingers) ALWAYS ate my art!!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Kujacker
                  Participant

Those fingers are horrid. You’d think they’d get some better graphic for their program if it’s suppose to be that good. First time I booted it up I said “What the crap is THAT”.
                    I don’t have any painter on my computer anymore. I stopped arting a long while ago, so no need for them πŸ™‚

John
                    Keymaster

Nakase wrote:

~Nakase

I am pretty sure that the equipment we use is not distributed here but you are probably better off getting a true double action airbrush anyway. The trigger guns are meant for production painting and don’t allow the control needed to make a fine line or a course stipple spray like the double action ones. For artwork you should really master the double action kind and the Iwatas are probably about as good as they get. They do come in many sizes and you should do some research and define what you want to do with it before deciding on a particular model. It also depends on the type of paint or dye you are spraying as to which may work best.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.