fbpx

Airbrush Help- brands to purchase?

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Airbrush Help- brands to purchase?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hello all.

I’ve been wanting to get into the airbrushing aspect of painting for years. I have (somewhere in storage) one of those cheap little cans of air you use like a airbrush, but I’ve never used it.

I’m hoping some of the airbrush artists hear can offer some recommendations on what brand of “real” airbrush is best. I’d like to be able to vary the amount of paint- thin lines for details up to broad sprays to cover more area- and I’m not sure if they all do that.

Also, are certain brands better than others? Which brands do you use? How expensive are the “preffered” brands? Any helpful tips for using them or painting with them?

Would love to hear from you all. Thanks!

KoishiiKitty
    Participant

i use the iwata hi-line. so far it works great.

Koshii- any idea of what they run new (or used?) is that the brand name you would search for when looking for one, say, on ebay?

And that does both the fine paint as well as the wide sprays?

I should just PM you. lol

Bodine
      Participant

:hi: This is a great topic to discuss.I and a good friend both paint on different mediums.I sketch a little,air brush,paint brush,etc,my friend does ceramics. I have bought a few different air brushes and I think you need to find the one that you are most comfortable with,for the work you plan on doing,etc.Most air brush artist I’ve met have all said the same thing.You try a few different kinds and truly invest in the type of equipment you like best.Different strokes for different folks ๐Ÿ˜€ You can ALWAYS use more than one. Many times I have needed about six at once.I guess the pros here can give you better advice and info but air brushing than myself though.I find,it is not all that cheap to get set up if you want great equipment that will last. I started with a little “Artecs” doing galactic scenes and I was hooked.I purchased an air brush painting tecniques book on ebay that is very informative for a few dollars.It was put out by “Fuller”. Ms.Melody probably knows this book,she is mentioned in it also.Ebay has LOTS of air painting equip. of all kinds.Great “links”.Enjoy,I find it is a fantastic stress reliever and there is no such thing as too much beauty and art in the world. :yes:

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Lokie
        Participant

bodine6127 wrote:

:hi: This is a great topic to discuss.I and a good friend both paint on different mediums.I sketch a little,air brush,paint brush,etc,my friend does ceramics. I have bought a few different air brushes and I think you need to find the one that you are most comfortable with,for the work you plan on doing,etc.Most air brush artist I’ve met have all said the same thing.You try a few different kinds and truly invest in the type of equipment you like best.Different strokes for different folks ๐Ÿ˜€ You can ALWAYS use more than one. Many times I have needed about six at once.I guess the pros here can give you better advice and info but air brushing than myself though.I find,it is not all that cheap to get set up if you want great equipment that will last. I started with a little “Artecs” doing galactic scenes and I was hooked.I purchased an air brush painting tecniques book on ebay that is very informative for a few dollars.It was put out by “Fuller”. Ms.Melody probably knows this book,she is mentioned in it also.Ebay has LOTS of air painting equip. of all kinds.Great “links”.Enjoy,I find it is a fantastic stress reliever and there is no such thing as too much beauty and art in the world. :yes:

Just curious, how do you try them out to decide which one you want? Purchase several, try them out, and return the ones you don’t want? Do companies let you do that? I’ve never asked a dealer when I was shopping for a new one because I just assumed I couldn’t do that. But I guess I should never assume ๐Ÿ™‚

And what airbrushes do you own and what art do you make to need six of them? Not trying to put you on the spot, just curious.

I own an Iwata and a Badger, and although each has strengths and weaknesses (and neither can do tiny details), I usually just stick with one to paint with at a time. But I do projects that don’t usually really suffer too much by not having a variety of guns. So I’m curious what you’re painting that has you switching back and forth ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Lokie wrote:

And what airbrushes do you own and what art do you make to need six of them? Not trying to put you on the spot, just curious.

I own an Iwata and a Badger, and although each has strengths and weaknesses (and neither can do tiny details), I usually just stick with one to paint with at a time. But I do projects that don’t usually really suffer too much by not having a variety of guns. So I’m curious what you’re painting that has you switching back and forth ๐Ÿ™‚

I can’t speak for bodine, but I know that at the factory, the folks that airbrush Windstones often have many airbrushes going at once, each with different colors for the sculpts they are working on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Lokie
            Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Lokie wrote:

I can’t speak for bodine, but I know that at the factory, the folks that airbrush Windstones often have many airbrushes going at once, each with different colors for the sculpts they are working on. ๐Ÿ™‚
              Ah yes, that would make sense for the factory. That would make things much more convenient for anyone I guess. Interestingly enough, when I was inquiring about an airbrush job at a local place here, they had an airbrush with tiny tubes connected to it each siphoning a separate color; you just turn a dial for the color you want. I’m sure the airbrushes weren’t as nice as the ones Windstone uses, though.

Bodine
              Participant

:hi: Yes, there are many different models of air equipment. I do not think you can return them,but as you say,different ones have different pros and cons. I tried one gun,different tips. Drove me nuts ๐Ÿ™„ I like painting galactic scenes mostly,and it has many different colors involved. Layers on layers of colors sometimes and one brush will not do it. :roll:You can always clean them up well and put them on ebay or here in the forum ,as used but new, if it isn’t compatible to your needs,for sell.I bet you can sell them.I might be interested myself and the forum member that asked in the first place ๐Ÿ™‚ sounds like they could be.Just a thought :bye:

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.