fbpx

"air-tight" curio

Home Forums Miscellany Community "air-tight" curio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LZ
    Participant

Sometimes I see things listed for sale as having been kept in an air-tight curio cabinet.

Please share your secrets of where you find these types of cabinets!

I went shopping at a local furniture store that had many curio cabinets on display. They all had dust inside. Didn’t matter if they were the kind with glass doors that open on the side or in the front, a sliding front door, or a wood-framed front door that opened on hinges, although this last one had the least dust inside. They all have cracks around the doors that let dust in.

“Air-tight” means to me that dust cannot get in. Is there such a curio cabinet for sale in some store?

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Bodine
      Participant

Not that I have seen but there are things strips of weather proofing materials out there that can easily be put on.I can ask Bodinetoo about it for you is you wish.I have seen a couple of old cabinets with the rounded glass that are great but the older models.Cannot speak for the new versions.Good luck.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Melody
        Keymaster

I need those!

Bodancia
          Participant

I have several curio cabinets that I purchased at various furniture stores over the years.  The more expensive the cabinet, the better the chance that it is pretty dust tight.  I have two that are very good at keeping dust out.  Another alternative is a high quality china hutch.  My china hutch keeps dust out completely!  Best bet is to test the doors on the cabinet.  If it has a very secure latch, it will keep dust out.  If it is just a simple magnetic latch, probably not.

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

LZ
            Participant

Would you be able to tell me brand names of any? I would at least be able to find them online that way.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

merrillannwhite
              Participant

I think people online saying it was in an “air tight” cabinet really just means it was behind glass and not on an open shelf.  To get display cabinets that are truly “air tight” would require a high end museum quality display.  Cabinets with tight doors and especially ones with an overlapping lip at the closure will keep out dust better.  Also check to see if the glass panels are snug.  Weather stripping can help too – after all, it is for reducing air flow around a door or window.  For larger Windstone pieces, make sure your cabinet has wood or really thick glass shelves and strong supports.  Windstones are heavy!

Bodine
                Participant

Mine is a good older one but still has a small crack between door and frame.Shop around😀

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.