fbpx

Adventures in flu shot land

Home Forums Miscellany Community Adventures in flu shot land

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Laurie
      Participant

Oh boy have I cause a storm at work over the H1N1 vaccine. My job is giving out the vaccine because we are in a priority group (fire department). They have both the shot and nasal mist forms of the vaccine. I can’t receive the nasal mist because of Danny being a transplant patient but my job will only let me get the nasal mist form of the vaccine. When filling out the papers to get the vaccine its asks if you are the primary caretaker of someone who is immuno suppressed and if you check yes then you have to get the shot. My job is telling me my husbands condition does not qualify since he is not in a “protective environment”. I wrote the CDC and got a letter from them and my husbands doctor explaining that I am not able to get the nasal mist only the shot. My job still refuses to give me the shot and told me that any doctor can write up a letter saying their patients family shouldn’t get the mist blah blah blah. One of my co-workers is in the same boat I am. Her husband is waiting for a double lung transplant and she filled out the papers and GOT the shot. When I brought this up to my supervisors they told me they are not allowed to talk about other co-workers. So now I feel I’m being discriminated against. I have gone all he way up the chain of command and even got my union involved and still they wont budge. I wanted to file a grievance but work is telling me that its not something I can file for. Thankfully I’ve been able to get Danny and Alyssa vaccinated (I pissed more people off doing that lol). I can’t believe what a fiasco it is just to get this stupid H1N1 vaccine! I just can’t believe the government wasn’t prepared for this. Two of Danny’s cf buddies that he talks to online have died this week form the H1N1 flu and so many others are having a horrible time trying to find the vaccine.

Bob

My CVS Pharmacy has run out in the little BlackHawk center we have in the back of the store
          I should have gotten it already, working there even though I work graveyard.
          I can’t afford to get it now though
          Good Luck with the STUPIDITY Sweety

Laurie
          Participant

I know making such a big stink about this is putting me on the raidar of the white shirts at headquarters but I don’t care. Its not like I’m asking them to bend the rules for me. I’m asking them to follow the guidelines set forth by the CDC and give me the shot instead of the mist. I deal with at least one suspected swine flu case a day at work and it would be nice to have some kind of protection from them other then dowsing the medic unit down with cavacide after every patient like I do now.

Bob

I don’t see what the diference would be between the shot and mist anyway??

Rachel
              Participant

The shot contains killed virus. The mist contains live, attenuated virus. Even though the virus in the mist is less able to infect and cause disease, in people with suppressed immune systems it can still cause the flu. Normal immune systems kill it easily and it’s a very good vaccine for those that don’t have someone at high risk near them.
                Hope it all works out. That is just ridiculous. I know why the government wasn’t ready (the govt isn’t the one making the vaccine, anyway, but they’ve been trying to coordinate it), but it’s all the more important for local officials to get it right!

NirvanaCat13
                Participant

Wow….you’d think a letter from the CDC would make things happen…I don’t know why it’s such a big deal to them I mean even if the shot is more expensive (which I’m sure it isn’t by that much) giving one or two to the people that request it shouldn’t be that big of a deal. What f******* crap….go kick some heads in, if they don’t know by now that your husband has had a lung transplant and is now in the hospital with cancer they’re retarded and need said butt kicking….Good luck sweetie, I hope things get better! Love and hugs!

Laurie
                  Participant

I got a mysterious call from the health department telling me to come in and get the shot. I think the fire department set it up so that way we could both with (I get the shot and they can say they still didn’t give it to me). I had to drive an hour away to the health department building and wait an hour in a crowded room to get it but I got it. I can’t believe what a fiasco it was to get this stupid shot.

Oh my goodness, sorry to hear you had to go through that and glad you got the shot at last. 🙂

NirvanaCat13
                    Participant

Beurocracy at it’s finest…

darjeb
                      Participant

Isn’t that about what happens every time you have to deal with government offices whether federal, state, county or city? but I am very glad to hear you finally got it

Azurielle
                        Participant

Try finding a place to get a 16 month old the h1n1 shot. He can’t have the flu mist…too young. Can’t get the shot at the pharmacies (they won’t inject children under the age of 2), the clinics are too far away, or we have to wit three hours, or they run out by the time we get there, and the pediatrician’s office doubts they’ll even get any. 😕

Keeper of the Fledgings

LadyFirebird
                          Participant

it upsets me, purpledoggy, that you had so much hassle just trying to get the shot! Like you don’t already have enough on your plate! Glad you finally did but WTF–why do they always have to make it so hard? 😡

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.