Ad photos posting sideways?

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Ad photos posting sideways?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Hello all! My apologies if this is a question that has already been asked before.

When I add photos to my classified ads, the ones with their long axis oriented vertically always show up at a 90-degree clockwise tilt. They show up in the proper orientation when I open the file on my computer. They are the correct file size, dimensions, etc. to be uploaded and I have no issue with that part, just that darn sideways orientation! The photos with their 640 dimension in the horizontal plane always come through fine.

Thanks in advance for any help…

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

GardenNinja
      Participant

This means that whatever you are using to view your photos on your computer is automatically rotating them for you. You need to have them saved rotated.
        -What operating system do you have? (Windows 10 / Windows 7 / MacOS whatever)
        -Do you use anything to edit them? If so, what software?
        -What application do you use to view them?

Depending on your answers, I may be able to tell you how to save them rotated.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Zelda
        Participant

Hi GardenNinja, thanks for your help.

I’ve got Windows 8.2 and normally view my photos with Windows Photo Viewer, edit them with Photo Gallery. Whenever I make alterations to the photos and go to close the program/switch photos it pops up a ‘saving changes’ box. When I upload those same photos to Photobucket, Facebook, etc. they display properly.

Thanks again!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

GardenNinja
          Participant

Alrighty, I did a little testing. I have access to Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Home
            W7 –
            Windows Photo Viewer doesn’t automatically rotate. It has rotation arrows near the bottom that will save the change.
            Didn’t find Photo Gallery.
            W10 –
            Windows Photo Viewer has been replaced by “Photos”, which can view or edit. It auto-rotated it. Saving didn’t save the rotation. I re-opened it, clicked rotate 4 times, and it saved the correct rotation.
            I also opened a second test photo with Paint. Paint auto-rotated. I saved it with no edits, and it saved the file with the proper rotation.

So I would try opening the vertical photos with Paint, then save with no edits. Create a test ad to see if it worked. Don’t forget to delete the test ad when you are done (select edit, then a delete button is visible).

Zelda
            Participant

Well, I think I’ve got it figured out, although the solution is weird!

I open the files for photos that have a vertically-oriented long axis. Then I hit one of the two ‘rotate 90 degree’ buttons in the bottom right of the screen. After that, I’ll click forward or backward to view the next file, which saves the changes to the picture. Then I click back to view the original picture again, and re-orient it back to vertical, then click forward or backward to view another picture. It saves the switch back to vertical, and that comes through when I upload the file in the Classifieds.

What strikes me as weird is that Photo Viewer and Photo Gallery (which is part of the Windows Live software package, and does not come standard with most Windows systems but is available to download for free from Microsoft) do not auto-rotate photos. So I originally edited them to be oriented vertically after I imported them onto the computer from my camera. Why didn’t the first time I edited the photo count?

Anyway, I’m just glad a found a solution! Thank you again GardenNinja for your help – I hope this also helps anyone else having a similar issue.

GardenNinja
              Participant

I bet it would work if you rotate it, then rotate right back before going to another photo to save it. Give it a try, it would save a step.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.