fbpx

A rare opportunity…(picture heavy)

Home Forums Miscellany Happy Thoughts A rare opportunity…(picture heavy)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

I live close to a zoo that recently closed due to financial difficulties. When I saw it was happening I started looking for where the next closest zoo to me was. Turns out the next closest zoo to me is the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo, the one featured in the Animal Planet series The Little Zoo That Could. While perusing their Website I noticed something very interesting advertised…Tiger Encounters. 😮

Hubby (and I) have always wanted to play with tigers, but as average citizens the chance of that happening is next to none, so I snatched up the phone and started calling. We managed to reserve a slot for the two of us (and Gavin) for yesterday (the last day children under the age of 13). We got the first encounter of the day at 10 a.m.

We headed out to the zoo and got there about 30 minute before they opened so we did our best to keep Gavin preoccupied. We were keeping a close eye on the weather because there were signs of a thunderstorm moving in. While waiting we also saw the sign about Outback Encounters and Lemur Encounters. We decided to see if we could add those in as well (they didn’t need reservations). The woman who does the outback encounters was out so they weren’t happening, but we were able to get tickets for lemur encounters.

There were four ruffed lemurs – two black and white named Tarzan and Jane and two brown ones named Tiki and Twitter.

NOM, Nom, nom!

Lemur kisses

The lemurs were very childlike, jumping this way and that. The loved chewing on my watchband and giving lots of kisses. Their fur is very soft (reminded me of alpaca wool) and their hands are incredibly warm to the touch. We hung out in the lemur tent until the weather started getting bad and the zoo worker was asked to bring the animals indoors to somewhere safer. We headed to the spot that our tiger encounter was to happen to wait.

They brought the tiger cubs to an area know as “The Pit” in a kennel carrier. The cubs weren’t real keen at getting out at first.

They gave the cubs some time to get used to the pit again before coming to get us. Gavin played follow the leader through the glass.

We eventually got to go in and were told to sit down and try not to be to rowdy. The rowdier the people are the rowdier the cubs get. They are 8 week old snow white Bengal tigers, the rarest of the four Bengal tiger color morphs. The boy had darker face markings and is named Kashmere. The girl (who has very little in the way of face markings) is named Kismet. Their stripes are as dark as they are going to get.

NOM, Nom, nom! Kismet was very “mouthy”.

I was surprised by how much their behavior resembled that of house cats. And holy cow, the size of their paws. Easily the size of my palm. Their fur is coarse. It reminded me of horse hair.

Kismet was sleepy by the end of the encounter.

I also have a short video you can here Kashmere talking in.

We didn’t get to do anything else after our tiger encounter because they had to close the zoo due to the weather. They did give us a rain check good through the end of the month so we’ll likely be going back in two weeks when my husband is off on the weekend and finishing our exploration of the zoo.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

dragonmedley
        Participant

OMG! That’s totally awesome! The jealousy meter is way, way, way up there, girl. It’s great that you got to do this. I hope Gavin remembers it for a long, long time. You sure will!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Pegasi1978
          Participant

It’s something I’ll remember for a long time, that’s for sure! And let me tell you – yeowch! Baby tiger teeth and claws can hurt. Part of why yesterday was the last day for children under the age of 13 is because the cubs are starting to learn their bite pressure and such.

Hubby and I both have a tooth-sized/shaped bruise where one cub or the other latched on. The claw marks are fading though. If anyone else ever has an opportunity like this I highly recommend wearing durable pants (like jeans) and possibly long sleeves. If they are children defintely a must on the pants and long sleeve shirt.

Adaneth
            Participant

Wow, what a neat experience! Thanks for posting! 😀

lamortefille
              Participant

Wow, that is totally cool! What a wonderful experience! 8) 😀 They are sooooo beautiful.

Jasmine
                Participant

I would love to do something like that. It looked awesome.

Leigha
                  Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

OMG! That’s totally awesome! The jealousy meter is way, way, way up there, girl. It’s great that you got to do this. I hope Gavin remembers it for a long, long time. You sure will!

I’m totally ditto-ing the jealousy meter….*WHINES*….

Thanks so much for the pictures and for sharing! SO CUTE! The lemurs sound like so much fun ^^

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

This was awesome! What a neat experience-like swimming with dolphins! Looks like you all had so much fun. To pet a bengal tiger and live to tell about it! Thank you so much for sharing! 😀

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Leigha wrote:

dragonmedley wrote:

I’m totally ditto-ing the jealousy meter….*WHINES*….

Thanks so much for the pictures and for sharing! SO CUTE! The lemurs sound like so much fun ^^

Same here!!! AWWWWWWWW!!!! Such choot widdly beebees… 😳 😆

twindragonsmum 😆

tdm

I am totally green with jealousy! But what a great experience. And it was so great that you could share that with your son – getting kids involved with animals young is such a wonderful idea. The tiger cubs are so adorable!

Lokie
                        Participant

I’m sorry to hear about the other zoo closing. We have two local zoos who are threatening to close due to financial hardship. 🙁 Anyway, to the positive, I’m so glad you had a great time with your encounters 😀 The lemurs are so cute; I’d have tried to smuggle one out in my shirt!

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

Apparently the other zoo isn’t “dead” just yet. They are still looking for a permanant source of funding to maintain operations.

The truly sad thing is how the two zoos (Zoo Northwest Florida and the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo) mirror each other. They both took beatings by Hurricanes Ivan, Dennis and Katrina yet only one if them is truly recovered from it. “The Little Zoo That Could” have very easily been about Zoo Northwest Florida instead of the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo.

siberakh1
                            Participant

Wow! Such an amazing opportunity! I’ve gotten to play with tropical birds and a blind joey before, but not the same as the encounters you just enjoyed. Congrats! I’m loving those pictures! 🙂

Maria
                              Participant

That’s neat! I wonder if our zoos do that; I kinda doubt it, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.