A Flock for my Happiness?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone A Flock for my Happiness?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Could I have the hens spayed or something? I know you had a hen die of ovarian cancer…Is any of this stuff preventable in any way, or is this just kind of their fate?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this. The answer is complicated. You can do this to a hen, but it’s very expensive and invasive and somewhat dangerous. It’s not as simple as a spay on a cat or dog. My vet is very kind and works with us and even with her the base price is around $900-1000, and it’s risky.
      Sometimes hormone implants can stop a hen’s body from continuing her laying cycle, and this in turn can greatly reduce her risk, but even the hormone implant is expensive ($200+) and only lasts 6-8 months on average. There are also laws that vets have to be careful about here in the USA, as it’s illegal to use hormones in laying hens (USDA regulation).
      In the end, the easiest option is to try to find birds that lay fewer eggs/less heavily, if the idea of reproductive disease bothers you.

Last week I had to put down my nearly 8 year old hen, and one of my best bird friends, from peritonitis. While we were at the vet, another chicken came in with it as well, she was 2 years old and also had to be put out of her suffering. It reminded me of my dear golden comet (a sex-link production hen) that passed away at 3 years old. I asked what age they normally see it and they told me mostly between 1.5-3 years of age. My 6/8 year old hens that I lost to it were outliers.

I don’t want to scare you with any of this, just want to help you understand the possible risks. It’s still very rewarding to give them a good life.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Amy
      Participant

No, I know know you’re not trying to scare me. It’s just good to be well informed.

I’m glad to know, because I’m the kind of person who goes all out for my pets.

I was so depressed after my breakup that my friend/coworker said I really ought to have a pet or something to keep my mind occupied. She went with me to get a baby hamster. Her name was Butternut.

I loved her so much. Had her for probably three or four weeks, and one day when I came home from work I could tell something was wrong with her. She was freezing and limp and you could tell she was dying. It was awful. I called all over and nobody treats hamsters.
        Finally found a place that did. Rushed her over there, got xrays, oxygen, antibiotics, anything they said basically. Spent $241 on a $15 hamster, and she died anyway. I knew she probably would, but I wouldn’t just let her die without trying like a lot of people would because I could have just bought 16 more hamsters for the price I paid trying to save one. The money isn’t the point. I got her, and it was my responsibility to take care of her.

That being said, I shouldn’t take on animals that I “know” are going to have really expensive medical problems with relative frequency, because I WILL spend all of my money trying to help them. I can’t not do everything in my power to try to save them. They’re my babies.

So, out of the following, what are the odds do you think that they’ll have major medical issues?
        -Rhode Island Red Hen
        -Barred Rock Hen
        -Australorp Hen
        -Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen
        -White Cochin Hen
        -Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster

-White Cochin Bantam Hen
        -Red Cochin Bantam Hen
        -Black Cochin Bantam Hen
        -Barred Rock Bantam Hen
        -Rhode Island Red Bantam Hen
        -Self Blue Cochin Bantam Hen
        -Barred Cochin Bantam Hen
        -White Cochin Bantam Rooster

(If it makes it any easier, I think all of the different colored cochins should be the same except for their color. That’s what the woman who works at Ideal Poultry says, but she honestly didn’t sound that knowledgeable, so idk. Maybe there are health issues that come along with certain colors)

Amy
        Participant

Is “wood ash” literally just wood that has been burnt to a crisp and busted up into ashy flakes? Like logs in a campfire?

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Yes, wood ash is the ashes left from burning clean wood, like in a campfire or fireplace. Clean wood meaning woods that are not chemically treated or known to have toxins, etc.

As far as your question goes, I have put *** next to the breeds that I have most commonly seen reproductive illness in. I am just one person though so it merits doing a bit of research into this!

-Rhode Island Red Hen *** (one of the most commonly seen breeds at the vet I go to, along with any sex-link)
            -Barred Rock Hen *** (both of my hatchery girls died from this, one at age 6, the other at nearly 8 years)
            -Australorp Hen *** (though maybe less commonly? not sure)
            -Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen
            -White Cochin Hen
            -Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster

-White Cochin Bantam Hen
            -Red Cochin Bantam Hen
            -Black Cochin Bantam Hen
            -Barred Rock Bantam Hen
            -Rhode Island Red Bantam Hen
            -Self Blue Cochin Bantam Hen
            -Barred Cochin Bantam Hen
            -White Cochin Bantam Rooster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Amy
            Participant

I’m having such a hard time deciding. Do you think bantams wouldn’t have the same problems because they’re not bred to lay eggs? I just don’t know what to do. Should I get mostly bantams? Ack.

pipsxlch
              Participant

Amy, Thunderfoot has his first layers of paint. I will have to be away from home for 5-6 days starting on the 21st, so I hope to get him done before then. I won’t have any internet access then, or ability to paint.

Amy
                Participant

Ok, though no pressure if it has to wait until after you get back, just take your time.

And I only mention this in case you’re planning on putting his name on the felt pad, I’m really not trying to be rude.
                  His name was “Tenderfoot” not “Thunderfoot” (though that would make an awesome rooster name XD) His name was Tenderfoot because my brother stomped on his foot so it was wounded and bandaged for a while when he was a baby. And then the bandage would grow into the wound as it healed, so every time we changed it it would start bleeding again. It was bad. (It did finally heal eventually, but it took a long time)

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

It’s a tough choice! You should do what you feel is best and will work for you. I don’t know a lot about bantams, so maybe you can ask around on the BYC forums for the breeds you like, and see what sorts of lifespans people are experiencing. I should note that many people don’t realize when their birds die from a reproductive disorder… most miss the subtle signs and write it off as “old age” etc, but, chickens can live longer than people realize…

Amy
                    Participant

Do you feel like chickens are very sickly in general? I mean, you know how some people have a dog that’s in and out of the vet constantly? Do you feel like you have to take the chickens in very often, or is it just once every couple of years?

pipsxlch
                      Participant

Hi Amy, tell me which eyes you prefer!! (I like the bigger pupils in person) He’s finished except for the eyes, if you let me know by tonight I can get them glued in and sent in the morning before work. Otherwise, I’m stuck at work straight until Monday night so wouldn’t be able to get him out before next Tuesday morning.

IMG_1734-Copy

IMG_1735-Copy

I thought of you; I had Monday off and went to a flea market with my sister. A man there had 3 therapy chickens riding on a stroller he was pushing around. He had a dark Brahma hen, a blue Silkie rooster, and a spangled Hamburg banty hen. They were all very sweet and cuddly. I’ve had Brahmas and Silkies and can attest they’re sweet; never owned a Hamburg.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

I haven’t had to go too often, but over the years it has added up. Any time you add in tests or (eek) surgery, the costs go up exponentially it seems! I have chickens that I’ve never had to take, and a few that have had to go more than once due to ongoing/chronic issues. I think just like any other pet, you are going to get a really mixed bag. That said, sourcing can make a big difference in your chances. Any animal can end up unexpectedly needing vet care, but careful breeding can help reduce the chance for genetic problems at least.

pipsxlch that PYO rooster is great!

Amy
                          Participant

I agree with you, the bigger pupils are way nicer.

pipsxlch
                            Participant

Thank you Jennifer! Coming from you it really means a lot.
                              Bigger pupils going in now! I’ll send the unused ones back to Susie. I’ll post full photos later. Hope you enjoy him!

pipsxlch
                              Participant

Here is Tenderfoot; the eyes are drying then into the box he goes. These photos make the color contrast look a little more stark than it does to my eye. *shrug* Hope you like him!

IMG_1736-Copy

IMG_1737-Copy

IMG_1738-Copy

IMG_1739-Copy

Amy
                                Participant

I love him already. You gave him such a cute little face. I like the lighter chest. Very pretty. Thanks again for painting him for me. That was really nice of you. <3

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 90 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.