fbpx

A few books

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion A few books

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

This isn’t really writing, but they are books so I thought this might be the best place.
        I’ve got art in a few published books:

Dragon Art: Inspiration, Impact and Technique in Fantasy art, featuring art by Todd Lockwood, John Howe, Bob Eggleton, etc. I’ve got three pictures inside. I don’t have my copy of the book yet but this is what it is:
        http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Art-Inspiration-Technique-Fantasy/dp/1847863000
        http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=9781435117716&x=

Not sure why it has two different covers!

I also painted the cover art for a novel by Scott Appleton. The neat thing is that Amber Hill (Vantid, here) did the interior illustrations. She’ll be doing the cover for the next novel in this series.
        Disclaimer: Beyond the description for the scene I had to paint I have not read this book so I don’t know how it is.
        http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Six-Scott-Appleton/dp/0615271154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262969955&sr=1-1
        http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Swords-Of-The-Six/Scott-Appleton/e/9780615284231/?itm=8&usri=scott+appleton

The end! Yaaaayyy!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

LadyFirebird
        Participant

So many books–so little time but I’d probably pick it up knowing you did the cover art! So will you be doing any more covers in this series or is Amber doing them?

Laurie
          Participant

So now we sit back and watch the sales of Scott Appleton’s book soar!! 8) πŸ˜‰

LadyFirebird
            Participant

Laurie wrote:

So now we sit back and watch the sales of Scott Appleton’s book soar!! 8) πŸ˜‰

Hey, ya needs to give me a list of some good books to start with–gotta start building that library and seeing what all the fuss is about. I’d probably get this one because of Jen’s art and who knows, it just might be good! πŸ™‚

Anonymous

WOW! Beautiful cover art for that second mentioned book! Weird, I just looked and saw the two different covers, sometimes the publisher can’t decide which to use? lol So, what is the chance of me buying these books and getting them autographed by you? πŸ˜‰

~ Poems

Jennifer wrote:

This isn’t really writing, but they are books so I thought this might be the best place.
                I’ve got art in a few published books:

Dragon Art: Inspiration, Impact and Technique in Fantasy art, featuring art by Todd Lockwood, John Howe, Bob Eggleton, etc. I’ve got three pictures inside. I don’t have my copy of the book yet but this is what it is:
                http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Art-Inspiration-Technique-Fantasy/dp/1847863000
                http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=9781435117716&x=

Not sure why it has two different covers!

I also painted the cover art for a novel by Scott Appleton. The neat thing is that Amber Hill (Vantid, here) did the interior illustrations. She’ll be doing the cover for the next novel in this series.
                Disclaimer: Beyond the description for the scene I had to paint I have not read this book so I don’t know how it is.
                http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Six-Scott-Appleton/dp/0615271154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262969955&sr=1-1
                http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Swords-Of-The-Six/Scott-Appleton/e/9780615284231/?itm=8&usri=scott+appleton

The end! Yaaaayyy!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Poems wrote:

WOW! Beautiful cover art for that second mentioned book! Weird, I just looked and saw the two different covers, sometimes the publisher can’t decide which to use? lol So, what is the chance of me buying these books and getting them autographed by you? πŸ˜‰

~ Poems

You bet! I’d be honored to sign anything like that, if you see me at a convention or if you want to ship back and forth I’d be happy to!

Arlla
                  Participant

That is SO COOL.
                    I’ve always been really curious about the cover art world. How does it work?? Were you involved with the book your art was used for, did you just send in art and they had control over where to use it, were you commissioned for a specific picture…? I’m fascinated!
                    I wish I were any good at all at 2D art. I’m totally enamored with the idea of getting one’s art of the cover of something that kazillions of people read.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                    -J R R Tolkien

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Arlla wrote:

That is SO COOL.
                      I’ve always been really curious about the cover art world. How does it work?? Were you involved with the book your art was used for, did you just send in art and they had control over where to use it, were you commissioned for a specific picture…? I’m fascinated!
                      I wish I were any good at all at 2D art. I’m totally enamored with the idea of getting one’s art of the cover of something that kazillions of people read.

The cover art world– that’s really hard to break into. There are two basic ways of doing it.
                      1. Get hired or become a freelance contract for a publisher or,
                      2. Get hired by an individual that is going to self-publish.

I have a lot of fresh authors come to me wanting to get a cover painting, and present the whole thing to a publisher to get published. I wish it worked this way!! When using a publisher– especially a larger and known publisher– the publisher hires out the cover art, not the author. So, to get consistent cover art jobs, you need to get in with a publisher. I’ve been submitting to all of the publishers in my genre (fantasy/animals/sci-fi/surreal, etc) since 2004 every 6-8 months with not a single bite. VERY competitive. As they say, it’s often who you know, not your skill (I mean some of the cover art out there… ahh! It was pretty obvious they didn’t get the job based on skill alone).

For someone who decides to self publish, they of course have full control over what they publish. Such was the case with the Dragon Sword piece above. Scott Appleton approached me to do the cover and it was essentially a contractual commission.

I’ve been contacted probably over 150-200 times over the years by fresh authors wanting cover art, but after I explain the publisher’s process most of them don’t want me (understandably– why pay for something you can’t use?) and the others have been put off by the need to pay for the art! A lot of people have approached me with ‘do the art for me and it’ll be good exposure!’ which sure sounds nice, but these are the same folks that have no intention of paying for anything– publishing, marketing, etc… so in the end their project falls through or doesn’t go anywhere. How is that helpful to me? The funny thing is that people overestimate what good exposure is! Despite having my art on the cover of one book and in the other dragon book, I haven’t gotten a single contact or sale out of it… so sadly the only good exposure is ‘paid’ exposure I guess. :/
                      Sorry for the rant! I just wanted to warn you about that. When I was younger I did a ton of free art and always got burned by it. Now I have to pay my bills or be on the street and so I’m a lot more cautious…!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.