fbpx

6am visitor – Sad News :(

Home Forums Miscellany Community 6am visitor – Sad News :(

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author

pretty spider ^^

BDW
    Participant

I tried to find it on the internet but couldn’t find anything like it. 🙁

White-Backed Garden Spider

SpiderArgiope trifasciata

Typical Orb Weavers, Family Araneidae

At first you may confuse this spider with its close relative, the yellow garden spider. A closer look will reveal a slightly smaller spider with a more sharply pointed back end. The abdomen is patterned with many thin silver and yellow transverse lines and thicker black, spotty lines. The carapace is small and covered with silvery hairs. White-backed garden spider females are larger than the males, ranging from 15-25mm as opposed to 4-5.5mm for the males. Compared to the yellow garden spider, this orb weaver tends to build its web slightly lower in the vegetation. It also is less likely to be found in shade and is more tolerant of open areas with sparse brush. White-backed garden and yellow garden spiders feed on similar prey.

I suspect this is your spider, looks like it to me.

Kyrin

BDW
      Participant

Thank you Kyrin! 😀

Blackdesertwind wrote:

Thank you Kyrin! 😀

You are welcome, I found her by putting in orb spiders, and then just searched through until I found a match, took all of 10 mins.

That’s the problem with search engines, if you can’t figure out what to research, finding something is like a needle in a haystack, though this time I got lucky.

Kyrin

RIP my spider

so about a week ago I’d found out my spider had laid an eggsack. I took the eggsack from her, flushed it, and put a couple crickets in her cage to make up for it…

it didn’t make up for it…

I found her belly up dead just now 🙁

*is very sad* 😥

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

*shudders* I’m sorry about your spider though……..I’m deathly afraid of them when they’re alive.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

My condolenses. 🙁 Honestly, I’m impressed you had her as a pet all this time!

I’m afraid that’s why I won’t get giant millipeds, tarantulas, or any other creepy-crawly as a pet–they’re fine alive, but for some reason I can’t handle touching dead bugs! 😳

Lokie
          Participant

I’m sorry about your spider 🙁 Considering that most other members said they would have squished it if it was on their pillow, it’s a good thing it was your house because you gave the spider a second chance at life 🙂 It could have just been her time to go.

I use to have a huge house spider in my bathroom for a long time that I would help feed occasionally by opening the screen at night to let some bugs fly in. It would disappear sometimes but always come back until one day it climbed behind the sink and I never saw it again. I still think about her whenever new spiders make camp in the bathroom.

Thanks you guys

Didn’t someone post a picture of a huge spider that was as big as a garbage can lid? I can’t remember anything else about it except that I was so impressed by the sheer size of that monster spider. I think it may have been from someone in Texas but I’m not even sure about that. Whew! That was one BIG spider!!! 😮 😮

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

…Sounds like one of those camel spiders in iraq *shudder*

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

now that would be an awesome pet spider…

😆

Awww…that spider did live for a long time! I am sorry Leigha. 🙁

Aw, I’m sorry, Leigha. At least the spider did have several more comfortable months with you after you discovered her on your pillow.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.