fbpx

2012 Windstone Ebay Auctions Thread 2

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 2012 Windstone Ebay Auctions Thread 2

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 320 total)
  • Author
    Joy

If you always put in the max amount you are willing to pay, then sniping should not be an issue ( because then if you are outbid, it means the price will have gone over what you are able or willing to pay 🙂 )

I feel it is unfair when someone is putting in a massively over-priced bid to ensure they win with seconds left in the auction. However, it is not against eBay’s rules, so there is nothing I can do about it – I just wish people who were going to do this would do so early in the bidding process, so that I don’t get my hopes up.

Hannah
      Participant

We both lost to Hannah Branzy, she kicked our butts ^_^ but at least I saved the money by loosing to get a cool Spectral that should be here any day now. I hope to see some photos too Hannah, I envy your Young Poad collection <3

Alright! I did it! *cowers and points to the Show your collection thread*

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
        Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
        Participant

I feel it is unfair when someone is putting in a massively over-priced bid to ensure they win with seconds left in the auction. However, it is not against eBay’s rules, so there is nothing I can do about it – I just wish people who were going to do this would do so early in the bidding process, so that I don’t get my hopes up.

I used to feel the same way Alegria, but after using the service myself I find that it can not only save people money, but actually makes it more fair in the long run.

Think of it this way – if someone is GOING to bid a large amount on something, what’s the difference between doing it in the first few seconds and the last few seconds of an auction? If you bid the highest you want to bid, and someone bids more, it’s likely they were going to do so in either case. Snipers DO get outbid – constantly! If someone is willing to pay more than you, that’s that, and your snipe doesn’t work 🙂

Getting overbid in the last few seconds is definitely disappointing, but if you roll with the punches (snipe for yourself and try it!), you may find that you prefer the new method that many people use for bidding.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

*points up*

This! I loose ALL the time because I snipe and if someone snipes higher then I am willing to spend well, usually my bid doesn’t even go through >_<

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Joy

I’m going to have to disagree, Hannah, so we’ll just leave it at that. 🙂

This one was especially disappointing because the same bidder was doing the same thing on everything Windstone on eBay that night – it felt very willy-nilly, not like it was someone who just wanted it more than I did. Perhaps I’m silly, but I would have been less bothered if that was the only bid that person had out that night, rather than another 30+…

(edit)
              But I have pulled this far enough offtopic, so I won’t post about it again. Thanks for listening. 🙂

Sikek
              Participant

Well I’ll actually agree with you Alegria =)

Sniping, to me seems like only a way to knock out ‘less experienced’ bidders. If I ever get outbid on something, I’ll often find myself re-contemplating my max, snipers don’t allow for this.
                There is a system on Yahoo Japan auctions (for anyone who ever uses this) where you can’t get sniped. Any last minute bids will extend the auction another 15 minutes.
                Of course auctions can then tend to extend for quite some time, but at least there’s a chance to re think. I’d personally love if Ebay would adopt this concept.

Pam

Not me. Prices can go crazy high in a situation like that, with auctions lasting hours longer! And you would most certainly loose if you were bidding against someone with more money. At least with sniping, you have a chance of winning against someone with more money, if they are inexperienced. So you are exactly right, sniping does weed out the inexperienced bidders. But if you know how to snipe, then this is really to your advantage. Those inexperienced bidders could have had more money to spend than you. Or they might have been “pickers”, people who will pick at your bid and slowly raise it, even if they aren’t very serious about winning, or just because they want to find out what your max bid is. The only people I want to bid against are the ones serious enough to be there in the last few seconds.

For the few days an auction is posted, I see that as just exposure time (time for me and others to find the auction). I don’t see any point in bidding during that time. It would just be a waste of my money. I never place a serious bid earlier than 10 seconds. With sniping, its literally just whoever is willing to pay the most right then and there, is the winner. I have several days to think about what I want to pay, and I usually place my max bid at $10 more than what I feel like paying, to be extra safe. I don’t base my bid on what other people are bidding, only on what I can afford and how much I want the item. On the rare occasion that I do loose, its always because the other person was willing to pay more. I never feel bad because I know I could not have afforded to win.

yolanda
                  Participant

Not me. Prices can go crazy high in a situation like that, with auctions lasting hours longer! And you would most certainly loose if you were bidding against someone with more money. At least with sniping, you have a chance of winning against someone with more money, if they are inexperienced. So you are exactly right, sniping does weed out the inexperienced bidders. But if you know how to snipe, then this is really to your advantage. Those inexperienced bidders could have had more money to spend than you. Or they might have been “pickers”, people who will pick at your bid and slowly raise it, even if they aren’t very serious about winning, or just because they want to find out how high your max bid is. The only people I want to bid against are the ones serious enough to be there in the last few seconds.

For the few days an auction is posted, I see that as just exposure time (time for me and others to find the auction). I don’t see any point in bidding during that time. It would just be a waste of my money. I never place a serious bid earlier than 10 seconds. With sniping, its literally just whoever is willing to pay the most right then and there, is the winner. I have several days to think about what I want to pay, and I usually place my max bid at $10 more than what I feel like paying, to be extra safe. I don’t base my bid on what other people are bidding, only against what I can afford and how much I want the item. On the rare occasion that I do loose, its always because the other person was willing to pay more. I never feel bad because I know I could not have afforded to win.

I deffinately couldnt have said that any better myself & i most certainly agree.
                    I do have a question tho………On the GBB Unicorn livestream was that a spring copper moon dragon shown ? I came in too late to read or hear if anything was said on it. Thats one i think ill check out when it goes on Ebay. Im kinda undecided on this color at the moment..lol.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

That’s the same way I think Pam. I have a method to the price I always put in (but I won’t divuldge it just cause it’s my OCD secret) but yes, I always put in my max in the last few seconds. SOMETIMES I will put in a mediocre bid in the begining of an auction JUST in case an auction gets hacked I MIGHT get a second chance offer (only because once I blew an auction off cause it went to high for me, but if I had only bid when I was thinking of it I would have won because the auction was hacked *cough Burgundy Gold OW cough* but that’s again just me and my OCD with a combination of wishful thinking! ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

etruscan
                      Participant

That’s the same way I think Pam. I have a method to the price I always put in (but I won’t divuldge it just cause it’s my OCD secret) but yes, I always put in my max in the last few seconds. SOMETIMES I will put in a mediocre bid in the begining of an auction JUST in case an auction gets hacked I MIGHT get a second chance offer (only because once I blew an auction off cause it went to high for me, but if I had only bid when I was thinking of it I would have won because the auction was hacked *cough Burgundy Gold OW cough* but that’s again just me and my OCD with a combination of wishful thinking! ^_^

Totally agree with the max bid at the very end. Of course, it does tend to raise the price suddenly if two of us are after the same piece (Copper Sunset Spectral maybe?), so bidding only what you are willing to pay is very important! The only times I bid before the end of an auction are if I find the piece interesting but don’t care if I lose to a higher bidder, and/or I am afraid that the seller will pull the auction if nobody has bid.

Sikek
                        Participant

I guess it is a matter of preference then =)
                          I’ve personally had better experiences with systems like Yahoo Japan, and not because I’m a rich bidder at all 😉

Pam

I love yahoo japan, but the only reason I win there is because I have almost no competition on the things I am bidding on (and that’s exactly why I love it).

And yes, that was a spring copper oriental 🙂

Jinya
                            Participant

Oh I just love picking up all these tips…
                              And check out that BlueBerry Ice Uni! I am loving all these blue creatures!

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

I desperately wanted this one, but someone sniped me with 4 seconds left and put in a high enough bid to jump over my max which was about $75 over what it was going for until that point. *sigh* Seems like every one of these that I try to bid on gets sniped…I really wish eBay would extend an auction by 60 seconds every time someone puts in a last-second bid, it would make it more fair IMO. I hope whoever won him gives him a good home.

I’m trying to understand. If it was $75 more than your max bid, does that not mean it was $75 more than you wanted to pay anyhow? I don’t understand how this matters… if you enter a bid that is the maximum amount you can/are willing to pay for an item, why does it matter if someone outbids you seconds or days before the auction end?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
                                Keymaster

Oh wow– that ivory sun dragon is GORGEOUS! I love it. Shoot, if I didn’t need the money so badly, I’d offer to trade my red fire OW for it instead of selling him!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                  My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 320 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.