fbpx

Yeral's PYOs – Gilded Sky to Khufu Keeper (Batch 1)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Yeral's PYOs – Gilded Sky to Khufu Keeper (Batch 1)

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

Thanks guys 🙂

TDM – When I am mixing my paints, I tend to add a lot of interference paints directly to them to get that sparkly effect. I’d say if I have a tablespoon of paint mixed, there’s at least a teaspoon of interference in there with it 🙂 It does tend to lighten the color a bit, so watch out for that if you try it!

Also – interference really shows up well in darker colors (like the dark blue) but not so much in lighter colors. If you have a lighter scheme, I’d recommend putting the interference on top instead of mixing it in, because you won’t see it nearly as much as in the darker colors if you mix it in.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

twindragonsmum
      Participant

thankies!

tdm 😀

tdm

Kujacker
        Participant

Man, I love that dark antiquing! I’m always a wuss or too lazy to antique.

Hannah
          Participant

Kujacker wrote:

Man, I love that dark antiquing! I’m always a wuss or too lazy to antique.

I hear ya!! Every time I think I’m done with a piece I remember that I need to antique it 😆 It can turn into a 2+ hour job depending on how many colors I antique in ><

Apari
            Participant

Wow Yeral, I love it! That’s a very pretty blue. 😮

Wampus Dragon
              Participant

I love Tropical Tides! I love him so much, I think I want a smaller matching PYO to go with him. 😀 I finally have a blue dragon to add to my Windstones and he is lovely. Yeral your work is gorgeous.

Hannah
                Participant

Yay! Thanks guys 😀 I’m so glad that he came out to your liking Sechan 😀

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

Yeral wrote:

Thanks guys 🙂

TDM – When I am mixing my paints, I tend to add a lot of interference paints directly to them to get that sparkly effect. I’d say if I have a tablespoon of paint mixed, there’s at least a teaspoon of interference in there with it 🙂 It does tend to lighten the color a bit, so watch out for that if you try it!

Also – interference really shows up well in darker colors (like the dark blue) but not so much in lighter colors. If you have a lighter scheme, I’d recommend putting the interference on top instead of mixing it in, because you won’t see it nearly as much as in the darker colors if you mix it in.

interference paint? or interference powders?

twindragonsmum 😳

tdm

Hannah
                    Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

twindragonsmum 😳

I use Golden Interference paints. I did just start playing with Pearlex powders and they work much the same when you add them to the paint itself, but you generally get more bang for your buck with the Golden Interference Paints (at least in my opinion) 😀

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

I’m coming in late on this, but I have to say I really love that dragon! I’ve always been a sucker for blue dragons anyways 😀 .

Kelly
                        Participant

Yeral wrote:

twindragonsmum wrote:

twindragonsmum 😳

I use Golden Interference paints. I did just start playing with Pearlex powders and they work much the same when you add them to the paint itself, but you generally get more bang for your buck with the Golden Interference Paints (at least in my opinion) 😀
                          I want to buy some Golden Interference paint for the dragon I’m about to paint. My husband commented on my muse saying it lacked the shiny sparklie pop other pyo’s have. I explained to him it was the interference paint you all use. What should I be looking for when I buy the paint? Is it in a tube? Does it come in clear or is it pigmented with colors? I apoligize for all the questions. I am still new at painting pyo’s and want to get the right paint. Also need some pointers and info on how much interference to use, etc. 🙂

Hannah
                          Participant

Not a problem! My local Michael’s only has 2 colors of the Golden Interference, so if you want a variety of colors I would suggest ordering online – I buy from here: http://www.in2art.com/art-supplies/golden-interference-colors

There are a LOT of options on that page but don’t let them confuse you! I always buy the 2oz tubes (and yes, in stores they will look like paint tubes – you can see the Golden label on the page I linked, it can look generic if you don’t know the company!), and I always buy the fine interference.

If you look on the righthand side where the prices are, look for the ones that cost $9.55 – those will be the 2oz tubes. If you buy these froma local store they are generally around $15.00 a tube, so I don’t mind purchasing a couple online and paying the shipping – it generally ends up being about the same price, and I can get many more colors online 🙂

In any case, if you want to just look for them in the store, this is what a 2oz tube looks like (the one in the middle is Violet Interference):

Hope this helps!

etruscan
                            Participant

Yeral, just out of curiosity … do you need to match the interference color and the paint you are adding it to? Combine an interference color and a different non-interference color to get different effects? Anything goes – mix it and try it?
                              Also, you mentioned a teaspoon of interference in a tablespoon of mixed paint. How much paint do you usually mix at a time?

Hannah
                              Participant

etruscan wrote:

Yeral, just out of curiosity … do you need to match the interference color and the paint you are adding it to? Combine an interference color and a different non-interference color to get different effects? Anything goes – mix it and try it?
                                Also, you mentioned a teaspoon of interference in a tablespoon of mixed paint. How much paint do you usually mix at a time?

I generally only mix about 1-2 tablespoons of each color at a time – to paint a Keeper I generally have about 3-4 wells of different shades of color, all between 1 and 2 tablespoons of paint.

You can mix and match the interference paints – I find that the best results are when you keep it on the same side of the color wheel (green and gold interference mixed with olive paint makes a really nice combination), but if you want a contrasting color it can work too (I’ve done purple paint with gold interference). Again – adding interference to the paint has a more subtle effect, but it makes the color itself more dynamic and deep. If you add interference to the top it can chance the color underneath completely! My Haze dragons are done this way – they have a base coat of purple paint and then interference on top of the paint changes the colors and patterns.

Edit: I also wanted to say that when you add interference directly to your paints, you use a LOT more interference in the paints than if you were to just brush it on top! When I use interference on top of my paints I generally take a tiny amount (maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon) and thin it with a medium before brushing it on. But as I said before, it’s almost a 1:1 ratio when I add interference to paint – you need a lot of it to make a good impact. And I would advise against using it in very light colors – like, in white it won’t show up at all! You’ll get a better impact with the interference in those cases if you brush it on top of the light color.

Kelly
                                Participant

Yeral, thank you so much! This was very helpful and informative. I’m glad you put in the ratios, I was curious about that too. I’m going to check the craft store by me if they don’t carry it I’ll be using the website you linked. The website seems to have everything. 😀 Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 323 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.