fbpx

Windstones in Climate Controlled Storage

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Windstones in Climate Controlled Storage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SilverDragon
    Participant

Hi Melody and team! I have a very important question for y’all. Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen occurrence, I’m having to move and temporarily put all my belongings and furniture into a climate controlled storage unit — to possibly include my large Windstone dragons. I live in Texas and this is why I went for a climate controlling unit vs an outside one. During the summer they keep the storage building temperature no higher than about 80 degrees and in the winter no less then 55 degrees. All of my Windstones are stored in their original cardboard boxes.
      My question is will the paint/clear coat on the statues be okay in these temperatures? Any information is greatly appreciated ❤️

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
      Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

Moondust Dragon
      Participant

Different circumstances, but same basic question: I live in a century home where the attic was converted into living space by a previous owner. It’s not very well insulated, so it gets cold (but tolerable) in the winter, and ridiculously hot in the summer. Since I started collecting Windstones and displaying them up there (away from pets and kids), we purchased a portable A/C and a couple of larger fans to cool things down, so it’s *much* better than it was. Also, I keep them out of direct sunlight to prevent fading, but the lights in my display cabinets give off some heat, which concerns me. I only turn the lights on for short periods of time when I’m admiring them, dusting them, showing them to someone else, etc. The cabinets get cooled down a fair bit by the A/C etc., but I don’t want to blow air directly on the cabinets, as that would blow dust and pet hair in through the little gaps between the glass doors. So I have been meaning to ask about Windstones and heat for a while and just hadn’t gotten around to it. I would also appreciate any information about this. Thank you! 🙂

Moondust Dragon

SilverDragon
        Participant

Sharing a response that I got from Susie on this topic 😊

They should at 55-80 degrees – that’s excellent. I most people’s homes they are not that carefully climate controlled. I don’t know the specifics on highest or lowest temperatures they can be exposed to (I think its quite high and quite low) – but I know that’s an excellent range!

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.

Melody
          Keymaster

Gypsum is what drywall is made of, so whatever normal household temps and humidity drywall can take, our dragons should be able to handle it also.
            We use acrylic paint which doesn’t form a vapor barrier. This allows the gypsum to breathe and adjust to humidity without forming blisters under the paint.
            Very high temps will affect the adhesive on the pads though! It makes it get soft and gooey.

Important note: Do not store Windstones directly in bubble wrap! It will affect the paint. Use the polypropylene bags they came in or wrap ’em in soft unprinted paper.

We once had a dragon returned to us because it had become discolored. We examined the dragon to figure out what happened, and found a pond snail on it! Turns out the owner had been using it as an aquarium decoration… so THAT much humidity may damage the paint!

Does anyone have bad experiences with high humidity and Windstones?

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I have experienced “pressure marks” on more than one occasion from the polypropylene bags being almost melted into the clearcoat of dragons. This takes a long time of being stored in their boxes. I don’t know if its heat, humidity, or that in combination with pressure and time. I’ve noticed it especially happen on Peacock, Emerald, White, and original brown (ESPECIALLY original brown, not the old ones but the ones painted later like the Riser, Spectral, Lap Scratcher, Old Warrior, Hatching Royalty etc) Not the original Male, Mother, and Hatching baby.

The folds in the bags create what look like dents in the clearcoat and though the bags don’t stick to the piece it deforms the clearcoat. I’ve had to fix it many times by lightly sanding the deformities, trying like heck not to accidently sand off the paint, and then re-clearcoat the whole piece. I’ve had it happen to my pieces after roughly 2 years of storage, but I’ve had others stored just as long it doesn’t happen to. It’s very bizarre.

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

SilverDragon
              Participant

I have experienced “pressure marks” on more than one occasion from the polypropylene bags being almost melted into the clearcoat of dragons. This takes a long time of being stored in their boxes. I don’t know if its heat, humidity, or that in combination with pressure and time. I’ve noticed it especially happen on Peacock, Emerald, White, and original brown (ESPECIALLY original brown, not the old ones but the ones painted later like the Riser, Spectral, Lap Scratcher, Old Warrior, Hatching Royalty etc) Not the original Male, Mother, and Hatching baby.

The folds in the bags create what look like dents in the clearcoat and though the bags don’t stick to the piece it deforms the clearcoat. I’ve had to fix it many times by lightly sanding the deformities, trying like heck not to accidently sand off the paint, and then re-clearcoat the whole piece. I’ve had it happen to my pieces after roughly 2 years of storage, but I’ve had others stored just as long it doesn’t happen to. It’s very bizarre.

I have a dragon that was sent to me in it’s original box ftok a seller but iy was wrapped in bubble wrap since they lost the plastic bag. Years later I got a bag from Melody’s team but it was after I realized the damage that yes, bubble wrap can deform the clear coat. So in some spots there’s “bubble rings” on the scales. What clear coat did you use on yours?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.