fbpx

When you did your first PYO…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone When you did your first PYO…

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Yep, I was nervous when I got the first one because I didn’t want to ruin it. I think it sat for like a day or 2 before I got the courage to paint it.

I’m trying to start on number PYO 3. So far I haven’t been brave enough! πŸ™„

Heather
    Participant

I started painting my first PYO this last weekend. It’s the Muse. She is turning into one crazy little mixed-up patchwork beastie, but I’m really grateful for her: I would never have had the courage to start painting otherwise! All those different patches of fur, feathers, scales, etc. pretty much mean that it’s OK if she turns out looking like a Discworld Igor. Which is a good thing, because there were a lot of techniques I wanted to try, and she’s getting hit with most of them. I should order another Muse for the leftovers. πŸ˜›

Now for the funny. Want to guess how long I’ve had PYOs sitting around? Since they were first issued! I bought some griffins back then and have been afraid to try anything with them ever since! πŸ˜† Maybe I can start now that the Muse has tested the waters for me. πŸ˜›

See I think that is where that guide would come in handy I was talking about. The muse should be the first peice to order when starting a PYO. It gives you practice for all the other ones.

Barrdwing wrote:

I started painting my first PYO this last weekend. It’s the Muse. She is turning into one crazy little mixed-up patchwork beastie, but I’m really grateful for her: I would never have had the courage to start painting otherwise! All those different patches of fur, feathers, scales, etc. pretty much mean that it’s OK if she turns out looking like a Discworld Igor. Which is a good thing, because there were a lot of techniques I wanted to try, and she’s getting hit with most of them. I should order another Muse for the leftovers. πŸ˜›

Now for the funny. Want to guess how long I’ve had PYOs sitting around? Since they were first issued! I bought some griffins back then and have been afraid to try anything with them ever since! πŸ˜† Maybe I can start now that the Muse has tested the waters for me. πŸ˜›

When I ordered my first PYO (only one so far), the muse hadnt come out yet. Just barely missed it! But I agree with you and Dragonessjade about the Muse being the best piece for nervous PYOers to start off with. For me it’s almost like a “cant go wrong” piece because it’s so quirky to begin with. Anything will look right on it, IMO.

I tried the blending by the hooves but wound up painting the fetlocks over solid because the blend wasnt right. But, I dont know what color to do the hooves (they are dark brown right now). Im also waiting on an order from dickblick for some interference paints and some metallic paint pens for the beading.

But at least I can see that others had some reservations about trying theirs for different reasons. I can definitely see how it can become addicting to paint them, just like it is to buy anything Windstone! There should certainly be a Windstones Anonymous support group somewhere!

My sister in law wants to get a few so I think the next ones we’ll do will be the Muse (to try out different painting styles… poor thing will be so abused but in that good way!), and a Griffin. Next would be the Ki-Rin and then once we have a handle on painting, the Wolf.

I must admit I could barely wait to paint my first little dragon- and she is still one of my favorite pieces- I probably started painting the same day (at the latest the next day)— BUT I paint almost everyday on sculpts- so that gives me an unfair advantage… plus I invested in the dragon so I could paint and sell her- so I couldn’t afford to sit on it.
      I was a little scared to ruin it– especially with the insert windstone puts in there about how hard they are to paint πŸ™‚ that doesn’t make it any easier to start πŸ˜† and thank God I didn’t struggle as much with my first as I did with following pieces– or I would have never ordered another! haha

You will do just fine! Honestly the sculpts are amazing- they look decent even with the worst paint jobs… They can take a couple coats of paint before they start looking gloppy- so even if the first attempt looks terrible you can try again. Start with a base coat and see how painting it feels- try not to worry about it too much!
      PS- watch out you might catch the PYO bug tho– then you can’t stop painting them!

Adaneth
      Participant

πŸ™‚ I finally got up the gumption to move past the basecoat with my first PYO this evening–which made me think of you. How’s it coming with yours, or have you not gotten to work on it?

Adaneth wrote:

πŸ™‚ I finally got up the gumption to move past the basecoat with my first PYO this evening–which made me think of you. How’s it coming with yours, or have you not gotten to work on it?

Im done with the first PYO unicorn (not sharing pix… nope, no way; maybe next time around; not ready to be that embarassed here).

Right now I have the Muse (which I wanted first but timing was off) and the Griffin. Both have their base coats on and the muse’s nose is done which is gold leaf. Im not selling her; she’s going to my mom (dixie cup included so the cats dont sit there looking at her like, “what the heck are you dude? Wanna swat play?! Stop staring at us or we’ll dice you like the appetizer you are!!!”). I’ll do it in colors mom likes but will try out different painting techniques on the different surfaces. You know moms… they love anything their kids give them (even their 36 yr old kids πŸ™‚ )

Depending on how it comes out will depend on if I show pix. Same with the griffin which, since I cant seem to ever afford the original black Griffin again, will be based on the black griffin but with highly noticeable differences. Wings will be black with some irridescents or interference but body base will be more natural. I say this now but we’ll see.

If anyone has some nice blending techniques, please PM me and let me know. It’s my biggest obstacle. Whomever did that dapple grey unicorn… I was floored and want to know how to do blending like that.

Sorry for the delay in responding… I sometimes forget where I post and in general, Ive just been feeling weaker than usual so Ive been sticking to the “have to” threads where Im selling things.

But thanks for asking! Again, this PYO unicorn is nothing special to look at as she’s all black with blue eyes (love that combo) and since I couldnt decide, after many color changes on her hooves, they went gold leaf since I love gold and black combo too. I have some very small gems that might go on her forehead but we’ll see. Her beads are metallic purple. But thats it; again, serves the purpose I need her to but if I werent keeping her for that reason, I wouldnt expect to sell her for more than a buck!

Im intimidated by all the awesome talent here so Im scared to share- no matter the amount of coaxing. Perhaps in PMs… but if you repost the pix here, I’ll send a griffin after ya!

Have an incredible weekend all!

Purplecat
        Participant

My very first pyo had me soooooo nervous! But don’t worry, when your done it’ll be worth it!

Kujacker
          Participant

SPark wrote:

Heh. I guess I’m weird. I tackled my first one the day after he arrived in the mail.

Same here! πŸ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.