fbpx

When Receiving a Gift…

Home Forums Miscellany Community When Receiving a Gift…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

That’s a tough one…

Getting a gift is great, but as time goes by and I get more and more stuff, sometimes, the card is better, especially if it’s for a bookstore or a store in which I’ve never set foot!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

With the exception of my mom, I prefer gift cards. What I like is pretty obscure and often hard-to-find, and gift cards are so fun because I get to choose. 🙂

Geeze, tough one Ski!

There are reasons to give either.

If I know the person well enough, they pop into my head when I see an item.

If it’s a person that is hard to find something for, then yes, a gift card is the perfect item.

Personally speaking, I’m a practical person.

Doodads collect dust and make more work. Given as a gift, an easy thing to overlook. Course, I too have some fugly doodads, but they were given with love, so are cherished.

If given a gift card, I might end up using it for practical items and not a special frill item as intended.

Unless it’s one I can use at Bath & Body Works, which would be frill and practical!

I <3 that store. 😎

So in essence, either or is fine for me personally and I have specific reasons why I would choose a gift card/certificate as a gift for someone.

~Hoofer

Post Script:

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“](I was really hoping to find a pair of women’s bright red trousers, but they didn’t have any that fitted me. Men’s trousers are so boring. Oh well.)

Huh? I take it you’re not really joking.

I can’t imagine finding nor wearing bright red trousers, let alone a man trying to fit his shape(s) into womens trousers. That can’t be comfortable.

My vote is for kilts to make a fashion return. 😉

Skigod377
    Participant

Thanks for the input all. We are pretty split. 😆 I was mostly asking for the forum gifts. It was suggested to send gift certificates instead of a gift and I was curious about what you guys would prefer, coming from other forum members. We could always do Windstone gift certificates, but for a new baby, say, that wouldnt really seem appropriate.

Ah forum member gifts. I thought you were talking generally. 😀

Hoofer wrote:

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“](I was really hoping to find a pair of women’s bright red trousers, but they didn’t have any that fitted me. Men’s trousers are so boring. Oh well.)

Huh? I take it you’re not really joking.

I can’t imagine finding nor wearing bright red trousers, let alone a man trying to fit his shape(s) into womens trousers. That can’t be comfortable.

My vote is for kilts to make a fashion return.
      Yes, I’m not joking. And I go for baggy trousers anyway, so my actual shape isn’t too much of an issue (other than that nothing they had fit me at all so my shape was entirely wrong).

My biggest problem is in translating the measurements. I mean, “Size 15”? What’s that in inches? I need to learn to take a tape measure with me when clothes shopping.

There is too much cloth in a kilt. Way too much. I like to travel light.

Skigod377
      Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

Which would you prefer as a pick me up from the forum?

Stephanie
        Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

As a general pick-me-up, I think a Windstone or flowers or something is fantastic. For something specific (that also requires funds) such as a baby or the like, then a gift card is best, I think.

skigod377 wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

As a pick me up from the forum? I don’t know, I’d feel guilty if any of you got me something… like I was somehow unconsciously manipulating you.

I’ve been called manipulative too many times, if I am, I’m not aware of doing so, so I make an effort to not be. :shrug: Yes, I’m weird.

If I did get something, depends on the circumstance, I guess. A windstone would always be appreciated. A gift certificate to Coles/Indigo/Chapters would also be appreciated, perhaps as much if not more (would make me feel less guilty, I suppose).

I hope that made even the slightest bit of sense. 🙄

I like gifts because no matter what someone gives me, it always means so much to me!

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

it depends, I like both really.

eaglefeather831 wrote:

I like gifts because no matter what someone gives me, it always means so much to me!

I have to agree with eagle….it’s about the love behind the gift!

Jodi
            Participant

DragonMistress wrote:

eaglefeather831 wrote:

I have to agree with eagle….it’s about the love behind the gift!

It’s a nice sentiment, until your house starts filling up with things that you will never ever use in a million years. Or you get clothes that don’t suit you or aren’t your size. I don’t mean to start an argument here. Just expressing my opinion.

It’s nice that someone thought of me enough to give me something, but it’s just as nice IMO if that person would think of me enough to give me a gift certificate with which I could buy something I really want or need.

If instead I got a Menards or Home Depot gift certificate, this dining room would get done faster, and I’d be very happy. And whenever I looked at the dining room I’d think about how so-and-so helped me finish it and helped make it so pretty. It would still be the thought that counted to me.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.