fbpx

What was/ the hardest sculpture to do?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody What was/ the hardest sculpture to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Hello, I was just curious out of all the sculptures you have done, which do you remember giving you the hardest time to get just right?

Also, do you favor facing a sculpt in a certain direction?

Andrea
      Participant

Melody
        Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Hello, I was just curious out of all the sculptures you have done, which do you remember giving you the hardest time to get just right?

Also, do you favor facing a sculpt in a certain direction? Wow, this may be a very loong answer! It would be easier to list the ones that just jumped out the clay, perfect. Some really did that, but not many.

The male griffin was a struggle, it was the first thing with bird wings I did. It was difficult to sculpt the bird wings in a position so that they didn’t cover up the the cat back-end, yet would be strong enough to cast. I was sure glad when that one was done!

Some of them have been just murder… Sculpting the Secret Keeper gave my assistant, Dhey, and I allot of trouble, until I gave up and raised one paw up. There simply wasn’t room for both feet on her tail!…The S.K. is still giving us trouble in every way! Hard to cast, hard to make mold on, hard to lift, hard to paint… surprisingly, I still like the sculpture though. Often after that much of a headache, I don’t want to have it around!
          What usually gets me in trouble with a sculpture is some feature that simply doesn’t work… I have (am having) a tough time with lying griffin /hippogriff eagle feet. I want them to NOT look like a dragon’s feet, but if an eagle’s foot is relaxed, and not spread out, it just doesn’t look right as a front foot. A bird foot is a hind foot and there are no wrist bones in it… so I have this anatomical problem of making a hind foot into hand. My approach to most anatomical problems is to cover it up with fur or feathers…but I can’t do that with eagle feet…so the mother griffin has wrist bones. The male doesn’t. The hippogriff has rough blobs of sculpey right now.

I tend to sculpt things facing right. I always draw things facing left. I sculpt left handed and I draw right handed. I have to make an effort to do things the other way. I can if I try, but not automatically. This was always one of my problems…Weird. Do you guys have trouble drawing things in either direction??
          This was a fun question,. I love bitching.. thanks!

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Melody wrote:

I tend to sculpt things facing right. I always draw things facing left. I sculpt left handed and I draw right handed. I have to make an effort to do things the other way. I can if I try, but not automatically. This was always one of my problems…Weird. Do you guys have trouble drawing things in either direction??
            This was a fun question,. I love bitching.. thanks!

I thought this was the case! I can tell that you liked (or at least had an easier time of) certain parts of the griffins. It’s probably because I stare at them for so long and learn every line as I paint them, and maybe it’s because I feel the same way when I’m drawing, but I can tell certain areas that you didn’t like doing or had a hard time with. I have the same problem, and tend to draw everything facing left too.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Melody
            Keymaster

I thought sculpting pyos would be easier than regular stuff, but it is quite the opposite!
              When I realised that every angle and detail will be scrutinized by everybody, it became much more difficult to finish things! Everything needs to be much more perfect. On production things, I would think, eh, somebody can just airbrush this part a dark color, and nobody will notice..ha ha. The backside of the male griffin’s front legs…ooog.

Skigod377
              Participant

I only draw horse heads, but yep, they all face one direction. Now I gotta go look at my griffins legs…

Starbreeze
                Participant

Me too!!! 😉

Andrea
                  Participant

Very cool, thanks!
                    Yes, most of my drawings face to the left.

Do any of you have an issue with trying to repeat a drawing? When I draw say a lion and really like how it turned out, if I try to draw it again, no luck. It will look like crapola!
                    Anyway, thanks!

Melody
                    Keymaster

Phoenix wrote:

Very cool, thanks!
                      Yes, most of my drawings face to the left.

Do any of you have an issue with trying to repeat a drawing? When I draw say a lion and really like how it turned out, if I try to draw it again, no luck. It will look like crapola!
                      Anyway, thanks! Oh yeah! Even if you trace it won’t look as good! I have found this when drawing specific characters, the proportions need to be just perfect or they don’t look like themselves. The only way around that is practice practice practice practice…(oh, and photoshop!)
                      A great sketch is a piece of magic.

My biggest problem with drawings (I have many) is being able to ink a pencil drawing, and manage to retain what I love about the sketch. I have found that I can’t. They will always just end up being two different drawings.

I have to admit, when I first got my male griffin, I studied everything. Including the back of his front legs! 😀

I was just amazed you put ANY sort of detail there, myself. That, and inside the space between the back of his head and the backs of his semi-raised wings (below where the wings touch his head). I can’t imagine how tough that must’ve been to get any detail in those areas! Those long dental tools you use most help, though. 😆

The only thing that really made me go “HAAAY” was the lack of halluxes. XD But I forgeeve. And as for avian hindlegs on griffins/hippogriffs…you know 99% of the time I myself draw them with handlike foreclaws, myself. 😀 It’s only when I’m drawing someone else’s character or during the rare times I’m illustrating a character from my second universe that I get out the birduh books.

Melody
                      Keymaster

rockerbot wrote:

I have to admit, when I first got my male griffin, I studied everything. Including the back of his front legs! 😀

I was just amazed you put ANY sort of detail there, myself. That, and inside the space between the back of his head and the backs of his semi-raised wings (below where the wings touch his head). I can’t imagine how tough that must’ve been to get any detail in those areas! Those long dental tools you use most help, though. 😆

The only thing that really made me go “HAAAY” was the lack of halluxes. XD But I forgeeve. And as for avian hindlegs on griffins/hippogriffs…you know 99% of the time I myself draw them with handlike foreclaws, myself. 😀 It’s only when I’m drawing someone else’s character or during the rare times I’m illustrating a character from my second universe that I get out the birduh books.
                        You don’t want to watch me detailing these things. I am not afraid to get out the saw and hack their heads off to get to the hard to reach spots. I stick ’em back together with wax and get them recast.
                        I am thinking of leaving the halluxes off of the hippgriff too. Pesky things.

Maria
                        Participant

Cool question, Phoenix. Thanks for asking it.

Skigod377
                          Participant

Melody wrote:

You don’t want to watch me detailing these things. I am not afraid to get out the saw and hack their heads off to get to the hard to reach spots.

😮 😯 😆 I never would have guessed.

Melody wrote:

You don’t want to watch me detailing these things. I am not afraid to get out the saw and hack their heads off to get to the hard to reach spots. I stick ’em back together with wax and get them recast.
                            I am thinking of leaving the halluxes off of the hippgriff too. Pesky things.

Ah ha! Now I know where all those hard to reach details on the PYO Mare came from! Slicing and dicing! Man it’s tough painting the details inside the legs (yea for angled brushes)! Couldn’t image how they were sculpted! She’s so bea-u-ti-ful.

Note, between back right ‘toes’ is a rough spot that’s really tough to get paint into to hide it.

DantheDragon
                            Participant

Melody wrote:

Yep x_X My drawings (mostly dragons and horse heads) always seem to face left too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.