fbpx

What is YOUR favorite color on a horse?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody What is YOUR favorite color on a horse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

You asked us, now I am asking you!! :yes:

Melody
    Keymaster

eaglefeather831 wrote:

Dang.. hard one.. well I thought it was that liver chestnut color that looks black, with a golden mane and tail, but buckskin and grulla pintos just send me into raptures.. then I saw what I think was a blue roan, this horse was the color of galvanized steel, a solid blue-grey (not speckled looking like a red roan) and he had a black mane and a white tail.
      That may of just been the way that one horse was colored, and not a real “color”, but WOW! was he striking!
      Oh, and then .. there is that metallic golden color… I saw a real horse that color once.. it is like burnished GOLD! NOTHING beats that color!
      How many favorites do I get?
      If I ever got to choose a color for a horse I owned, I would probably get a plain ol’ grey one. It is the most practical; they never don’t look dirty , and you can find them in the dark!

Melody wrote:

eaglefeather831 wrote:

Dang.. hard one.. well I thought it was that liver chestnut color that looks black, with a golden mane and tail, but buckskin and grulla pintos just send me into raptures.. then I saw what I think was a blue roan, this horse was the color of galvanized steel, a solid blue-grey (not speckled looking like a red roan) and he had a black mane and a white tail.
      That may of just been the way that one horse was colored, and not a real “color”, but WOW! was he striking!
      Oh, and then .. there is that metallic golden color… I saw a real horse that color once.. it is like burnished GOLD! NOTHING beats that color!
      How many favorites do I get?
      If I ever got to choose a color for a horse I owned, I would probably get a plain ol’ grey one. It is the most practical; they never don’t look dirty , and you can find them in the dark!

As many as you’d like.

One thing about them greys, a lot tend to go white as they get older, depending on the kind of grey of course. My dapple grey changes seasonaly. Here’s the thing though, bugs seem to like the greys better. Then again, he’s a typical thin skinnned TB. My liver chestnut seems to be bug free out in the pasture. Oh, I have Photobucket updated! Wanna see ’em?

I missed the pick a favorite color for your equine thread, but we (I) have a joke, “It’s got four legs? Then who cares what color it is, go get on and ride it!”

Me personally, that’d be a red backed Dun.

Speaking of Duns, how many of thoes Grand Unicorns did you Test paint?

{DROOLS ALL OVER HER KEYBOARD}

8)

~Hoofer

P.S. I hope noone minds if I highjack the thread. I’ve been guilty of doing that on other BBS’s for …. some time. 😉

Give us a link so we can go see!

I wonder why the bugs like the grey ones better?

And yes, Melody, if you have any pictures I would like to see! 🙂

laphon1 wrote:

Give us a link so we can go see!

Pretty please!

Or do you mean my photobucket account laphon1?

eaglefeather831 wrote:

I wonder why the bugs like the grey ones better?

No idea, I used to think that mayhaps it was the ‘smell’ of that particular horse, since the one had dirtier habits than the other, which meant more salt/sweat/grime on her than the other. But then I kinda stepped back and realized that my chestnut mare is actually molty skinned, like an Appalossa and some greys are like this. It’s which bugs that try to eat her to death.

The Liver chestnut, standard huge welt from a horsefly here and there, the typical blood suckers will try and get her on the veins, the face flies will try and drink from both of their tear ducts, etc., but no cow gnats are trying to eat the Liver Chestnuts delicate parts, belly button, ears, etc.. like they do with the Chestnut mare.

As an aside, the AQHA does not (did not) recognize the color “Liver” as a type of Chestnut. Then again, them freaks allowed Cremello; it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it!

eaglefeather831 wrote:

And yes, Melody, if you have any pictures I would like to see! 🙂

What they said! Please?!?! How many chances might I have? This the only other one?

NEIGH !! = ARGH !!

Bleh, I have an elective surgery on the one, which I hope to be schedualing in the winter time, when the bugs are seriously reduced. Who am I kidding.

[Slaps her hand away from the BID button]

~Hoofer

Nightcrow
      Participant

Melody wrote:

and then .. there is that metallic golden color… I saw a real horse that color once.. it is like burnished GOLD! NOTHING beats that color!

That is my favorite breed in all the world, and practically no one has ever heard of it. (Or can spell it.) 🙂 Akhal-Teke! They’re kind of weird — metallic coats, and conformation that’d make a judge cringe, but they’re THE endurance horses — they stopped outcrossing with Thoroughbreds to “improve” their speed and strength in 1935, when a race was set up from Ashkabad to Moscow (2600 miles, including 215 miles of desert with little to no water), and the purebreds did notably better than the Thoroughbred/Akhal Teke crosses! 🙂

(Here’s a neat link, if you want to learn more: http://akhaltekesocietyofamerica.com/index_Page1157.htm)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

pipsxlch
        Participant

Hah, funny you mention the Akhal-Tekes Nightcrow. The Arab stud we had when I was a kid was a bright, almost blood bay with the metallic sheen like a Teke. It’s not all that rare in Arabs, at least of some strains. (one stud back a few years ‘Golden Pharaoh” was a very dark liver with the golden sheen, that was gorgeous) I always go back to a clear blood bay with the sheen when thinking of my favorite color. The two breeds are probably closely related and share ancestry, branches of the same tree sort of.
          I’ll have to see if I can find pictures, don’t have any on the computer of Tifer (don’t think I have any decent ones even). There may be ones of Golden Pharaoh online though, and I’ve seen a head shot of a current stud ‘Fire ‘n Ice’ that makes it look like he may have the sheen.
          Some of Tifer’s chestnut foals especially had the sheen- talk about new copper!

PurpleTurtle
          Participant

I’ve always loved the very dark dapple grey coloring. I also love buckskins.

Patricia
            Participant

I would have to say my favorite colors would have to be the Silver Grulla and Buttermilk Dun/Buckskin colors. 🙂

purpleturtle wrote:

Buckskins!

dunreining wrote:

I would have to say my favorite colors would have to be the Silver Grulla and Buttermilk Dun/Buckskin colors. 🙂

Silver Grulla!

Buckskins! again

Buttermilk Dun?

Describe please.

Do you mean a Red Backed Dun, which can be variations of Palominos, without any dappling. I’m not sure about how golden highlighty a RB Dun can get. I never saw a Red Backed Dun that had the flashy highlights like you can with Palominos. I guess the Dun says it. Just never heard of a Dun referred to as Buttermilk. There’s a lot I’ve never heard of.

I remember when it was either a Paint or Pinto and I’m not that old!! 8)

~Hoofer, squeeking for a Red Backed Dun Grand Unicorn …. squeek* squeek*

*sigh* I will someday have a horse of my own. 🙂 All of this talk about their beautiful colors makes me eager to have one!

Patricia
              Participant

Hello,

A Buttermilk Dun is a Buckskin horse who has the Dun Gene which makes the horse a very light creamy buckskin color with the black mane, tail and they will have Dun factor like the Dorsal stripe, leg barring, Shoulder barring etc. Here is a picture of 2 buttermilk dun horses so you can see what they look like, There very pretty horses. 🙂
                http://crownzquarterhorses.org/sitemap.aspx
                http://montanamalonequarterhorses.com/Default.asp

A Buckskin plus a dun gene, often called a “dunskin” or a “buttermilk dun”, will usually be lighter in body color than either a regular dun or a plain buckskin, and will have all the dun markings in a darker color.

Hoofer wrote:

purpleturtle wrote:

Buckskins!

dunreining wrote:

Silver Grulla!

Buckskins! again

Buttermilk Dun?

Describe please.

Do you mean a Red Backed Dun, which can be variations of Palominos, without any dappling. I’m not sure about how golden highlighty a RB Dun can get. I never saw a Red Backed Dun that had the flashy highlights like you can with Palominos. I guess the Dun says it. Just never heard of a Dun referred to as Buttermilk. There’s a lot I’ve never heard of.

I remember when it was either a Paint or Pinto and I’m not that old!! 8)

~Hoofer, squeeking for a Red Backed Dun Grand Unicorn …. squeek* squeek*

Blood bay or solid black.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.