fbpx

Welcome HOOFER!!!

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Welcome HOOFER!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the freak show. ๐Ÿ˜€

lamortefille
    Participant

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Hoofer wrote:

Yes I collect the Hoofers specifically, though I am really liking the Lap dragons. I might acquire a few of those eventually.

So far I have the entire white Unicorn family, zero black Unicorns and almost the entire white Pegasus family. I’m in the process of obtaining my final one to complete the family. I have two of the black Pegasus family. I’m short the mother and laying baby of that herd. Since Melody responded that she probably won’t be producing those anymore, I’ll probably have to keep my fingers crossed while parusing eVilBay.

Eventually I might also acquire the gothic unicorn.

PS Good to see a forum member ended up with the Young Unicorn medicine hat. How pretty was/is that?! Needless to say, if Melody ever put out another color, any color I suspect, in the hoofers, I’d be all over it this time around.
        Yay another equine lover! We’re outnumbered by the dragons lovers (which I can understand considering there’s so many more dragons and dragon colors).

I’ve got the entire black uni family (minus one of the 12 limited Black Grands), the entire white pegasus family and an almost complete white family. I don’t care for the wing colors on the black pegasus family so I didn’t get them. If they had been like the old Black Griffin wings that would have been a different story. I’m debating on getting a Gothic Unicorn. Almost had one of the recent ones on ebay, but I couldn’t be at my computer when the auction ended so I lost him. ๐Ÿ™

I’m the one who won the medicine hat test paint and I’m so glad I did. He’s gorgeous! I just wish I liked the other equine test paints, but they didn’t thrill me like he did.

Maybe with another equine lover added to the mix we can :squeak: a little louder for Melody to make more equine colors.

Hey SkiGod, your family is very close to home. I grew up in the B-ville area and currently live right down the road from Crystal River.

Talk about Windstone lacking. This area has none that I’ve found. Once I finally decided to increase my Windstone herd, I had to resort to using the web.

I can blame my significant other for feeding the bug, though it really didn’t take affect until years down the road because I thought I had to find a dealer in the area to purchaes them and we are severely lacking in that category nowadays.

He bought me the laying Mother unicorn and I was so in love with her quality. I had only seen them in catalogues except for the one my friend had, which was the sitting/rearing male and that was almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately, when I finally thought to increase the herd and called the shop in Spring Hill that he purchased her from, I was sadly informed that they were no longer carrying them.

Some time later, I finally opted to do a web search and loe and behold WINDSTONE itself was offering them online. Uh, whoa! I might have been able to acquire the black unicorns had I known. Doh!

I’ll agree, eBay is tricky. Yes you can find some nice deals there but that whole shipping thing keeps you on pins and needles. Did they use care as if it was them receiving it? You all know what I mean.

To Pegasi, I musta missed her other test paints. I only saw the medicine hat. Did she do them all in the Young Unicorn mold? What colors did she put out?

As for more color lines, yes I’d love her to do others. However, my votes for Melody to finish the Grand Pegasus first and my hope is that she offers them to the public, not as a limited production. I’m sure all us equine lovers would have loved to have obtained the black Grand Unicorn, but since she made them limited, most of us can only drool over their pictures.

I’d really love to add that fella, whenever he gets finished, to my Pegasus family, of which I am more partial to when it comes to the fantasy line. Unicorns are nice, but wings are grand!

Til the next time …

~Hoofer has neighed.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Melody did a test paint baby pinto unicorn, two test paint male pegasus (bay pinto and appaloosa) and three test paint male kirins (two “koirins” and a blackfire). Oh and I almost forgot the two dark ivory gothic unicorns.

The Black Unicorns were retired long before Windstone opened their online store. The online store has only been up an running a little more than a year I think. The store opened after the forum did.

Interesting, the Windstone webstore has only been open a little over a year? That means the black Unicorns were in stores. I wonder why I never see any listed in the ‘old stock’ threads.

Of note, that Bay colored Grand Unicorn I saw when someone posted pictures of their vist to the factory was gorgeous. I can only assume that was Melody’s desk I saw it on. I wonder why she wouldn’t consider doing a family of those. It really turned out so nice.

I know I would like more hoofers to collect.

We’re so lacking when compared to all the dragon molds and colors she offers.

~Hoofer has neighed.

Pegasi1978
          Participant

Part of why you don’t see black unicorns listed in the old stock threads is they retired in 2000 so most of them have been bought out since then. Every once in a while one will turn up in a store, but it’s very rare that happens. I was lucky and got two of mine from a store around the time the color retired. The other two I had to hit ebay for.

Melody is considering different colors for the hoofers, but she’s looking for something that’s not too hard to paint. When there’s a change from one color to another it can make things trickier sometimes. I wouldn’t mind Bays. I’d love to have grays (dappled or not). I think both the pegasus family and unicorn family would look wonderful in gray.

I think part of why there aren’t as many hoofer molds and colors as the dragons is there was more competition with the hoofers from other artists, but not for the dragons. I can understand expanding more into a market that is almost empty rather than one that has more competition.

I’m late but, Welcome! ๐Ÿ˜€

Stephanie
            Participant

Welcome!

Ya know, interesting thoughts Pegasi, more competition for horses from artists vs dragons …. hmmmm.

Thing is, I’ve seen a lot of very expensive horse sculptures out there (porcelin, resin, bronze, glass, etc) and I can honestly say that the quality and life-likeness (not a word I know, but you get my point) of her statues are just unbelievable. As Windstone collectors, we all definately recognize this.

The ability to create such detail using the gypsum stone can not be compared to.

When I first held the Mother Unicorn I thought to myself, “My gawds, she looks almost real!” I was so impressed that I never considered any other artist to collect. As far as I see it, her tallent is unmatched in the field and I’m sure a lot of others would agree with me. Although she (Melody) is probably to modest to consider such a thing, we all know better.

That’s why we all want HER to increase her Hoofer line to include more colors. No one sculpts like Melody Pena and we know it.

~Hoofer has nickered.

PS Thanks for all the late welcomes, glad to be here and not so silent anymore!

Yeah, I especially appreciates Pena’s knowledge of “hoofer” hinderquarters anatomy. Let me explain. In my life, I’ve seen many lying hoofers sculptures and representations. Although, almost all of those representations have the same exact problem: the buttocks are arisen and the tail is “planted” on the same height as the back, way above the ground; way too high. You’ve seen at least one of those, necessarily.
              Actual living lying “hoofers” have their buttocks on the ground and the tail is “planted” on the same level as the ground. Melody Pena is one of the very rare artists to represent the “lying hoofers” in the correct way. She understood, unlike most other “artists”, that all Vertebrae share the very same bone structure… ๐Ÿ™„

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.