fbpx

Wedding in a week!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Wedding in a week!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sirithiliel
    Participant

**edit**

I am getting married next Saturday! Can’t believe how fast time has flown…

Zelda
      Participant

First of all CONGRATS! I hope planning goes smoothly for all involved and you both really enjoy your day!

Can’t go wrong with peacock feathers in my opinion! You may be able to find someone near you who raises the birds, or find an online source (Etsy rocks!) for shed feathers if you’re worried about birds being killed for their plumage. The whole feathers would look cool in flower arrangements, and I know they make trim out of feather pieces that might look cool combined with ribbon in ties or hair pieces.

You can always decorate with peacock Windstones too 😉

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Sirithiliel
        Participant

First of all CONGRATS! I hope planning goes smoothly for all involved and you both really enjoy your day!

Can’t go wrong with peacock feathers in my opinion! You may be able to find someone near you who raises the birds, or find an online source (Etsy rocks!) for shed feathers if you’re worried about birds being killed for their plumage. The whole feathers would look cool in flower arrangements, and I know they make trim out of feather pieces that might look cool combined with ribbon in ties or hair pieces.

You can always decorate with peacock Windstones too 😉

haha while Windstones would be cool, I’d have no chance of affording it =P i know a local store sells shed peacock feathers, so that’s definitely a good idea ^^

Congrats! I wish you health and happiness. A couple affordable ideas. 1- balloons come in all colors. 2-get some clear candle holders filled them with purple,blue and green glass stones. Either put a little water over them and place a floating candle. These could be used on the guest tables. All this can be bought at a dollar store.3- My friend used japanese fighting fish as centerpieces. they have peacock colors and they have beautiful tails. they also are very sturdy fish. One guest gets to take the fish home. My friend had her fish for 5 years. Check out craft stores,ebay,and cragslist. also depending on where you live,there maybe someone who rents out peacocks for weddings. Hope I help,but most impotantly I wish you a beautiful wedding. Please post pictures

Sirithiliel
          Participant

Congrats! I wish you health and happiness. A couple affordable ideas. 1- balloons come in all colors. 2-get some clear candle holders filled them with purple,blue and green glass stones. Either put a little water over them and place a floating candle. These could be used on the guest tables. All this can be bought at a dollar store.3- My friend used japanese fighting fish as centerpieces. they have peacock colors and they have beautiful tails. they also are very sturdy fish. One guest gets to take the fish home. My friend had her fish for 5 years. Check out craft stores,ebay,and cragslist. also depending on where you live,there maybe someone who rents out peacocks for weddings. Hope I help,but most impotantly I wish you a beautiful wedding. Please post pictures

oooh those are some good ideas! I rather like the one of the floating candle and colored stones =) I’ll post pictures for sure, if people want me too

Ann

Congrats!!!! I have to say that July is the best time to get married (not that I’m biased about July weddings or anything 😉 ).

I wouldn’t worry too much about decorations, it’s one of those things that only the bride (or future brides!) notice and you won’t have time to notice them on your wedding day! Here is a website I made after my wedding for the forum I was on at the time. There are a lot of photos of our ceremony and reception site along with some links that my be helpful. Feel free to look, but don’t make too much fun of me for it!

http://blackfire5th.weebly.com/index.html

Riversgrace
              Participant

I have a suggestion…I have done the complete line of flowers for 2 weddings, everything from the Brides, to the Flower Girl’s head piece…I did this all in silk, so it will last a lifetime if stored properly, and all for about 50 bucks each time. Silk flowers come in amazing colors, and it would be easy to do the purple, blue, and greens of the peacock windstones. Plus you could even incorporate the peacock feathers into the arrangements as well. I bought all the flowers online too, so they were cheaper than store bought…Congratulations!!!!!!

Setsunawolf
                Participant

This! Doing all the flowers out of silk took about four hours and cost less than a tenth of what real flowers would have cost. We made the center pieces out of cheap glass candle holders, marbles and silk flowers… and they were gorgeous at less than a dollar each.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

Bodine
                  Participant

Have a wonderful wedding and a long loving life together.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

This! Doing all the flowers out of silk took about four hours and cost less than a tenth of what real flowers would have cost. We made the center pieces out of cheap glass candle holders, marbles and silk flowers… and they were gorgeous at less than a dollar each.

First off, congratulations!

And on flowers, ditto here. All mine were silk as well.

There were two sites I took advantage of when I got married (second time) five years ago. One was theknot.com–not for the advertising (which typically isn’t oriented towards the budget-minded bride, but for the forums–and one was craigslist.

From the local Knot brides, I found my venue, officiant, photographer (more on that later), seamstress for alterations, embroiderer for a couple of custom things, and ended up buying earrings and a bracelet that another bride had used as a significant discount. I found recs for things online, like silk flower petals. And I picked up a ton of ideas.

From craigslist came all the decorations, save for a few things bought at local craft stores. I found cast pedestals. I found floral urns, big ones, complete with silks in my wedding colors. These I partially redid with the help of 40% off floral deals at Michaels every few weeks. Centerpieces ended up being less than $10 per table–a gorgeous candleholder, on a beveled mirrored tile, surrounded by silk rose petals and candy kisses. All except the kisses (and our bouquets, also silk) were resold on craigslist after the wedding for what I’d paid or more–so net cost of decorations was close to free. Nowadays, craigslist isn’t quite as friendly as it used to be, so take care and bring a friend, preferably big and male, with you on any deals. When selling, arrange to meet someplace neutral, preferably with that same big male friend along. Don’t bring people into your home. It’s a shame, but that’s the way things have gone. It’s still a good place to find things, if you exercise some care.

If it’s a small wedding, consider printing your own invitations. There’s some amazing papers out there, and I was able to do something pretty fancy and layered for about a quarter the cost of having it done professionally. But it was a bit of a pain in the behind (I hate routine work and love to do one of a kind pieces, so they drove me a little nuts.)

Oh, and the dress (OK, all three dresses, because I couldn’t decide, LOL) were from ebay. Total for all three was under $500. None had been worn, all were either previous year designs or store samples or the final one I chose, which was a from an ebayer wholesaling from Hong Kong, IIRC.

As for peacock feathers–check the prices on local versus online first. Locally (at least here), feathers are often more expensive and poorer quality than what I can buy in bulk on etsy. (I do feather fascinators on occasion.) Ebay has some good sources for feathers, but some ship pretty poor quality stuff, so check their feedback and don’t necessarily go with the lowest cost–or you’ll end up with a bunch of feathers too ugly to use. If doing centerpieces that use marbles, they’re available in all colors, so a mix of peacock colors would be stunning. Again, check prices online before buying locally. Often you can get a better deal buying in bulk online.

(And regarding wedding photography: mini rant here. Pull from other parts of your budget to get a GOOD one, the absolute best you can afford. If you do videography, you might watch it once or twice, but that’s it. Photos, on the other hand, you’ll want to put up on the wall, have an album, gift to family (or they may purchase), etc. If I could change ONE thing, I’d have doubled my photography budget and cut from somewhere else, or sold some things off. It’s just too important, and I still kick myself regularly on that one. I actually did wedding photography for a couple of years after that, apprenticed to an outstanding photographer, and let me tell you, it’s a tough gig. A good wedding photographer is worth his or her weight in gold, even at todays prices!)

Search for “Peacock Ore” on eBay. There are a variety of auctions in all price ranges. These rocks are gorgeous, but they do tend to flake a little, so you might want to place them on something? I have seen gold charger plates reasonably priced. Maybe pile some on a charger with a votive or other candle in the middle? Or place the ore inside those fluted rose bowls you can get for about $1.00 at a craft store with a votive.

I don’t know if you are having bridesmaids and whether they will wear hair up or down, but my sister got some really beautiful peacock feather clip in extensions at Rue 21. I have seen similar ones sold other places.

I saw a lot of peacock color and themed ornaments this last Christmas. You may want to check and see if any place stores their old stock on site and if you could get a good price on a few pieces. If not too seasonal looking, they might look pretty scattered on a table.

You might use several jewel toned colors of the really wide cheaper ribbon (such as the kind used on outdoor flower arrangements). If you made oversized bows using several colors at a time, that might be pretty. (Psst floral wire is a must in making these).

More fluted rosebowl ideas: You could get paint at a craft store to paint the outside in several peacock colors and then set a votive inside. It would probably look like stained glass.

Also, from time to time, Pier 1 has carried some beautiful Peacock Feather wreaths (around $30 though). Also, check out their clearance. They often have beautiful votive and other candle holders very reasonably priced.

Some plastic “crystal” beads “throw” peacock colors when illuminated, you could string these and use as garlands or cover votive holders with them.

Have fun! I am excited for you. What a neat idea for a theme!

CONGRRATS first of all!

Second… a place I found REALLY helpful – http://offbeatbride.com/ . Lots of ideas for peacock weddings, and the people on the forums are really helpful too, and it has lots of low budget suggestions as well (I used them a lot and spent probably $6000 total, including $2000 for my photographer!).

Sirithiliel
                    Participant

Thanks all of you, I appreciate the well wishes and the ideas =) I’ll definitely keep a eye on Etsy, craigslist, and the other sites and i have made notes on everything you suggested for decorations to look for in local stores.

darjeb
                      Participant

CONGRATULATIONS Peacock Wedding sounds fantasdtic

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.