fbpx

Very sad news

Home Forums Miscellany Community Very sad news

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    nessiemom
    Participant

GB… from what I heard, he lined them up and shot them execution style. That can kill you no matter what caliber gun it is…

My heart just wrenches every time I think about this…

Megan
      Participant

This is the most horrible thing I’ve heard in a long time. I tear up every time I think about it… which is about every five minutes, since the news is on every TV on campus…

My mom was crying when I left for class this morning. I think she’s just terrified someone somewhere will pull a copy-cat deal… I almost stayed home for her but I just cna’t afford to with finals in a week and a half.

Horrible…

Maria
        Participant

nessiemom wrote:

GB… from what I heard, he lined them up and shot them execution style. That can kill you no matter what caliber gun it is..

Of course it can. But there are very few automatic .22s, and a person still needs to be shot several times to be killed by that varmit/practice cal.
          I am sorry for those people, but I want to know the details – as I’m sure everyone else does.

Megan
          Participant

*sigh* The news just said that the shooter was confirmed to be a student there, a senior boy from South Korea. Apparently he was a “loner” so they’re having a hard time finding out much about him. They found the receipt for a 9 mm. in his backpack though… They still can’t figure out a motive.

*sigh* again. 🙁

Participant

We started hearing about it around noon pacific time yesterday. I didn’t realize until today that the death toll was so high. My thoughts and prayers go to those whose loved ones were injured or killed.

I hope we hear more about why this occured. I was also curious why they jammed the cell phones? Wouldn’t that be the perfect time to have them operating? Or was it a governmental decision?

Rusti
              Participant

Megani-chan wrote:

*sigh* The news just said that the shooter was confirmed to be a student there, a senior boy from South Korea. Apparently he was a “loner” so they’re having a hard time finding out much about him. They found the receipt for a 9 mm. in his backpack though… They still can’t figure out a motive.

*sigh* again. 🙁

As far as motive, I heard on the radio this morning that the two students shot in the dorms were his ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend. And then I suppose the massacre that followed two hours later was just an extension of that anger. Are Steve and DC reliable? ;P

Regardless of motive, heartbroke, pissed off, or whatever, it was a horrible thing to do. People just don’t seem to have restraint anymore. Nothing in moderation, everything in excess.

This makes me want to avoid crowds at SIU, so if somebody decides to shoot up a crowd, I won’t be in it.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

ddvm wrote:

I watched CNN tonight. They had a student on that taped the police going around a building and there were 29 shots heard on the tape. The student was from the Middle East – he chose to go to Virginia Tech to get away from the violence of his homeland. The definition of irony.

Figures. 🙄
                I heard there was a possibility of two gunmen? There was also description of an Asian-looking guy in a sweatshirt. And the radio correspondent talked about automatic weapons. If those were involved, and the shooters were foreigners, you can bet the guns were illegally obtained. Of course the anti-gun freaks will completely ignore that…

GB if you like guns, that’s your perrrogative, but I don’t appreciate you calling people who are anti-gun “freaks” – yes there are some people who are hysterical about firearms but you can find people like that on either side of the debate. I consider myself anti-gun but I try to show respect for those I disagree with on the issues and it would be nice if I could be shown the same.

Incidentally, the shooter was from South Korea where it is illegal for any civilian to purchase or own firearms.

Its all over the paper over here. Aparently 31 dead and at least another 10 in hospital. I really hope its not that many, its awfull.

my dad called me yesterday to see how i was doing. i had not even heard about the shootings until he told me about it. im so knee-deep in writing the proposal, i didnt even turn on a tv.

this whole thing is just terrible. my heart goes out to everyone involved and everyone who knew anyone involved. 😥

Maria
                Participant

sunhawk wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

ddvm wrote:

I watched CNN tonight. They had a student on that taped the police going around a building and there were 29 shots heard on the tape. The student was from the Middle East – he chose to go to Virginia Tech to get away from the violence of his homeland. The definition of irony.

Figures. 🙄
                  I heard there was a possibility of two gunmen? There was also description of an Asian-looking guy in a sweatshirt. And the radio correspondent talked about automatic weapons. If those were involved, and the shooters were foreigners, you can bet the guns were illegally obtained. Of course the anti-gun freaks will completely ignore that…

GB if you like guns, that’s your perrrogative, but I don’t appreciate you calling people who are anti-gun “freaks” – yes there are some people who are hysterical about firearms but you can find people like that on either side of the debate. I consider myself anti-gun but I try to show respect for those I disagree with on the issues and it would be nice if I could be shown the same.

Incidentally, the shooter was from South Korea where it is illegal for any civilian to purchase or own firearms.

I am sorry if I offended you, sunhawk.

siberakh1
                  Participant

The first shooting was suspected to be a domestic dispute and police/security believed that the gunman had escaped off campus, so only that area of the campus had been blocked off. No one suspected the guy would cross campus to go shackle up another building and start shooting anything that moved. No one had any reason to believe or suspect that, as it is a freak, rare incident. It’s not exactly a violence prone area or campus. Ironically, the administration had a planned meeting to discuss security on campus because of what appears, at this time, to be 2 unrelated bomb threats in the last couple of weeks.

Jodi
                    Participant

I heard on the news last night that the two people shot in the dorm were both women. One was his ex-girlfriend, and the other was the RA (residential advisor) who had either been checking to see what the noise was or was sitting at her post by the door to check people in and out of the dorm.

Then there’s a gap of two hours during which time nobody knows where he went or what he was doing. But then he went to a building of classes, chained the doors shut so students couldn’t get out and police couldn’t get in, and started shooting. He was trying to kill everyone who was in the building from the sounds of it. He went from classroom to classroom, just shooting everyone in the room multiple times. Teachers, students, it didn’t matter.

I sit here in a computer lab just down the hall from my office on campus and I think what would happen if it had been my classroom. I stand by the whiteboard by the door. There is no where for me to hide, I would have been killed. My students could have hid behind and under tables for a while, but couldn’t have gotten out the windows or other door if he had stood in the doorway. They’d have been hurt or killed too. It’s scary to think about. It’s shaken me up quite a bit.

We just had the news on, aparently it was a 29 year old student at the uni.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I am sorry if I offended you, sunhawk.

I appreciate your apology GB, thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.