fbpx

Van Dyke's PYO Eyes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Van Dyke's PYO Eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I have a question…I’ve painted my PYO Keeper dragon in bronzy red colors, and the bright blue eyes I have don’t match. I saw that Van Dyke’s Taxidermy site is recommended for replacement eyes. Someone on here said that convex/concave eyes don’t usually fit in the sculpture. Does anyone think it would work if you were to use smaller convex/concave eyes (like 10mm instead of 11?) The reptile eyes they offer are so much more detailed than standard flat back bird eyes. Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

PurpleTurtle
    Participant

I think it was me who mentioned that 😉 . I would be wary of using them – even if you got a size smaller. They bug-out more then the regular flat-backed eyes and the sculpts, from what I have seen, are made to accomidate the flat-backed eyes. You can try, but I’m not sure how it will work. I would love to try the reptile eyes myself – but they all seem to be only avalible in convex-concave :nea: .

PurpleTurtle
      Participant

I also hear that dreamingtreestudios.com ( I hope that is right 😳 )makes great eyes. I have never bought from them, but they have an awesome selection. FYI – the eyes they offer are resin oppose to glass.

Jasmine
        Participant

purpleturtle wrote:

I also hear that dreamingtreestudios.com ( I hope that is right 😳 )makes great eyes. I have never bought from them, but they have an awesome selection. FYI – the eyes they offer are resin oppose to glass.

Yup, she is great…and will even do custom colours.

Melody
          Keymaster

nimuete wrote:

Hi,
            I have a question…I’ve painted my PYO Keeper dragon in bronzy red colors, and the bright blue eyes I have don’t match. I saw that Van Dyke’s Taxidermy site is recommended for replacement eyes. Someone on here said that convex/concave eyes don’t usually fit in the sculpture. Does anyone think it would work if you were to use smaller convex/concave eyes (like 10mm instead of 11?) The reptile eyes they offer are so much more detailed than standard flat back bird eyes. Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

What color would you like? I can send you whatever other color we got. email me: Repttangle (at) gmail (dot ) com

Jasmine wrote:

purpleturtle wrote:

Yup, she is great…and will even do custom colours.

Ummm….I copied the addy for dreamingtreestudio, and it took me to a wedding photographer’s site………I’d love to see the other eyes if someone could provide the addy, please? *puppy eyes*. 🙂

PurpleTurtle
            Participant

Here’s the correct link 😉
              http://dreamingtreestudio.com/index.html

Thanks, PT! 😀

Oh yes, I posted a couple pics of the PYO’s I have been working on. I got the eyes in the pics from Dreaming Tree. I love them! Resin or not, I find them a nice high quality. I also like how the pupils seem more “realistic” in color to a regular pupil. I am glad I got the guts to order from her! 😀

PurpleTurtle
              Participant

I just came from that thread – and now I’m itching to buy some eyes from her. They look awesome in those PYOs 😀 . The only problem I have there is about 25 pairs of that I like to buy :spank: …..

XD I ordered 12 pairs!! Oh, and she sells grab bags for $5-10 each of what she calls seconds…Like the rescue PYO’s in a way. Some just don’t match together, so she sorts them until they get one that does match, then she throws them into bags. Size bags are 3-10mm and 11-20mm. I am thinking about the 3-10mm size. If I get a pair of 9mm, I want to try those in a Griff…I am seriously thinking they would fit. I asked her a couple questions last night, and got a nice email from her, answering everything and leaving me with no questions! Really, she is very generous! (So, I would imagine the Grab bags are of a good amount) I also got bonus free pairs for getting so many I guess. Anyway, the ones I ordered, cost me a whopping total of $39 including shipping…Yeah, just a hair over $3 a pair. I don’t know, I just know I REALLY like these eyes, and do plan on another order! (Wether I use these all up first or not! 😈 ) I think they are well worth the price. 🙂

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Don’t get convex-concave eyes. Who recommended those? O_o If you ever want to get them off of Van Dyke’s, get standard pupil eyes. These: http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/category/standard-pupil

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

PurpleTurtle
                  Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Don’t get convex-concave eyes. Who recommended those? O_o If you ever want to get them off of Van Dyke’s, get standard pupil eyes. These: http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/category/standard-pupil

Maybe someone misunderstood me. I didn’t ‘recommend’ them. In another thread I actually say to only get flat backed eyes, and to stay away from convex-concave 😉

Hey all! I am happy some of you have ordered from me! I still am taking orders! I have a few PYO’s now myself, and can tell you what sizes fit what…If you have a keeper PYO, the 11mm’s I cast work well. The profile is a little higher than the Vandykes, but they fit well!, And for any of you who have Phoenix’s, they take 6mm’s. I offer all sorts of Pupil options! I’m not sure about copyrite issues here on Windstone, because I see very few images of PYO’s shown with my irises set, but I do have examples on my website.If any of you want to see them, you can visit there http://dreamingtreestudio.com/ As soon as I get my hands on a Young Dragon PYO, I can tell you what size that one takes, but I do believe it takes a size 8mm, But I am not 100% sure on that.

For all of you still on the fence about my castings, I can tell you that I use Van Dyke’s as my supplier of masters that I make my molds from. So you know that they will fit! If for some reason they seem a little too snug, you can gently file down the edges to squeeze them in. But, once all my castings are finished, and coated, they are minutely smaller than the comparative glass master that Windstone uses in all their pieces.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.