fbpx

Two-toed unis?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Two-toed unis?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ann

Never mind! I just had a brain fart. I guess that happens after working 12-13 hour days for the last four days. blah

Does anyone know why the unicorns have two does rather than one? Just curious if there was a reason or if it was just the way Melody liked it.

fatalbeauty
      Participant

usually books describe them with cloven hooves….

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Ann

Yeah, I should have just googled it. Sorry everyone!

Melody
          Keymaster

I have no idea why. Its like asking why unicycles have one wheel.

I have no idea why. Its like asking why unicycles have one wheel.

HEHE Ok Melody that is a really funny question to ponder. Maybe they should have hooves……LOL It does have Uni in the name!!!!

O.K. everyone, try not to bombard me with requests, but I have some VERY RARE Unihooves without horns made by Breyer. I really hate to part with them . . . but because you guys are friends . . . I will give you a special deal! πŸ˜‰

Andrea
            Participant

Do horned/antlered animals always have cloven hooves? I can’t think of one that doesn’t, but in nature, there’s usually an exception to the rule…

KaytanaPhoenix
              Participant

Don’t worry Blackfire! πŸ™‚ My mom brought my GB to a dogshow for me to pick up, and she wanted me to bring him out and show our friends, and one of our friends wondered about the cloven hooves on a uni as though it wasn’t what it was supposed to be XD – I should paint one of my unis in the future with them! I always paint regular hooves o.0

Ann

I think horses are the only animals that evolved only one toe, which is why I thought a unicorn would biologically follow the same pattern. My guess is those that came up with the idea of a unicorn didn’t have a degree is zoology. πŸ˜›

Blight
                  Participant

Yeah, traditional/original unicorns before the New Age fantasy subculture and artists who don’t know better discovered unicorns, had cloven hooves because unicorns in medieval times and before were made up of different animals. Typically a lion, deer (or goat), and horse. A lion’s tail, deer or goat legs with the feathering, a goat’s beard, a deer or goat’s ears.

The unicorn besides being attributed to God was a graceful, surreal looking creature that was supposed to be the most beautiful animal on earth. In general, a unicorn is supposed to be awe-inspiring compared to a horse or any other hooved animal (two-toed and one-toed are two different families in the Animal Kingdom). Nothing can hold a candle to the unicorn’s beauty. To compare the likeness of a unicorn to a regular beast should be offensive to the unicorn. The history and meaning behind the traditional unicorn’s looks is a passion of mine, and it infuriates me when famous and not-so-famous artists draw unicorns as a horse, the only thing stopping it from being classified as one because of the horn.

E.G Amalthea in Beagle’s The Last Unicorn. // Mare? Mare? I, a horse?! Is that what you take me for? // πŸ˜‰

Ann

I hope I didn’t infuriate you with my low level of knowledge on Uni histories!

Blight
                      Participant

Hahah, definitely not! πŸ™‚ I meant when authors, artists, toy companies, etc portray the unicorn as a 300 pound horse with a horn.

The defining point of a unicorn’s design in my mind is the body first, then the horn. I’m a diehard fan of traditional designs when it comes to mythical creatures so yeah.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.