fbpx

Thinning the herd

Home Forums Miscellany Community Thinning the herd

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I skimmed most of the posts in the thread.

This has been discussed in brief a few times with John and Melody, but it’s not such a large forum yet that it causes problems. On top of inactive users, there are also old posts that are no longer relevant and get dug up from time to time.

But here’s what will happen after the migration next Friday:

1. When a user is deleted, no, their posts will remain, with their old name under ‘guest’ status.

2. User removal will occur based on inactivity of three years. Inactivity means the user has not logged into the forum in two years, it does not mean they have posted. Users are very much welcome to register and never post, in order to take advantage of PM’s for sales, see all forums (some of them don’t show to guests), and keep track of which topics are read and not read. However, if you don’t log on for three years, you will be considered inactive and no longer interested. It would not matter if you have 0 posts or 10,000 posts.

3. If you’re trying to find a member to PM, don’t look through the entire memberlist! Open a new PM window and use the Find a Member link that allows you to type in parts of a name, wildcard, etc. Or press the PM button on one of their posts (and it will even quote the post for you into the PM!)

Then there’s the whole issue about how long to retain posts in specific forums.

I’ve seen and done it all before with the older forums I host, this one is just going through the maturing process.

Susan
      Participant

Adraenyse wrote:

2. User removal will occur based on inactivity of three years. Inactivity means the user has not logged into the forum in two years, it does not mean they have posted. Users are very much welcome to register and never post, in order to take advantage of PM’s for sales, see all forums (some of them don’t show to guests), and keep track of which topics are read and not read. However, if you don’t log on for three years, you will be considered inactive and no longer interested. It would not matter if you have 0 posts or 10,000 posts.

Just to quell my paranoia, for those of us who appear hidden on the forums and thus don’t have a last visited date in our profiles (including you), there is a way to get the true last visited date via admin rights on which you will be basing the cutoff?

Maria
        Participant

Snap to the rescue again! :yes:

Jennifer
          Keymaster

unicornita wrote:

Adraenyse wrote:

Just to quell my paranoia, for those of us who appear hidden on the forums and thus don’t have a last visited date in our profiles (including you), there is a way to get the true last visited date via admin rights on which you will be basing the cutoff?

Yes, we with the POWEERRRRR can indeed see that on hidden members.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Anonymous

Nothing is hidden to me. I know all.

But yes, this is purely an automatic thing in the software. I simply type in “3 years” and it does the rest. It keeps track of when you were last on in order to know what posts are new to you.

dragonmedley
              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

May the Force be with you all.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

NirvanaCat13
                Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

I KNEW this place was held together by duct tape….

dragonmedley
                  Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

dragonmedley wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

πŸ˜†

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Anonymous

Don’t laugh, some duct tape is the only reason the AC in one area is functioning at the moment…

Greater Basilisk wrote:

@Dave: I think it’s rather silly to want to keep around dead accounts just so we can say we’ve got so and so many members. Several accounts are doubles due to login glitches, so you’re even counting members twice that way.
                      Also, if you had dealings with someone exclusively over the forum, they haven’t shown up for years and you want to contact them again, what makes you think they’ll come back in a timely manner to read a PM?
                      Again, kindly keep in mind that the idea has been narrowed down to cleaning up accounts that were created but never used and have lain dormant for years.

I do agree with this. If it’s been dormant that long then… πŸ˜•

Maria
                      Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

dragonmedley wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

HAHAHAhaha. πŸ˜† Thank you, Cat. XD

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

dragonmedley wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

twindragonsmum πŸ˜†

tdm

NirvanaCat13
                          Participant

Exactly TDM

And just cus it fits the principle….

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

twindragonsmum πŸ˜†

tdm

I just wanted to say that I wish I posted more here and it’s nothing to do with lack of desire and I have no logical excuse of being away from my computer, I’m just stretched too thin these days. Usually I’ve got about five Firefox windows open, with a total of something like 50 tabs of different sites and some I don’t remember to revisit for weeks, due to my own oatmeal brains @_@ But when I DO remember and DO get a chance to stop by here, I enjoy talking with you guys, definitely πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.