fbpx

There was nowhere to hide/The ashes fell like snow

Home Forums Miscellany Community There was nowhere to hide/The ashes fell like snow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Subject line from Linkin Park’s “New Divide”

So… scary events. Last thursday, I was playing cards with some of my family and I just so happened to notice a slight smell of something burning. Like campfire burning… But no one said they could smell anything, so I kind of brushed it off as nothing and then about a half hour later, the normally clear blue sky turned dark. Then came a team of fire trucks, followed by a ton of cop cars. Well apparently an accidental, small flame turned into a brushfire that practically burned the whole ranch valley a few miles away and then decided to come up the mountains near my house. It was so close, you could see the flames jumping on top of the hills from my backyard, and my grandma’s balcony next door. Scary, no? It was about the time they evacuated the housing tract across the street that we decided to pack EVERYTHING and make sure it wasn’t too far away by watching where it was on the hills. Yes, the ashes really did fall like a light snow and its STILL on the floor near our windows and doors. Every news station was here, the Red Cross set up camp, the police and fire & rescue set up satellites and camps (their main communication tower was burned down) across from our backyard at the city park, and to top it off, anything and everything smells like smoke and the air quality sucked for 3 days.
    Right now it’s better. The air is clear, evacuations have been called off, and you can still hear a truck or copter every so often to beat back another start-up, but we’re good fortunately. Except for all the ashes. And sore throats. And the fact we have to UNPACK everything. But it’s all good.

It also leads me to ask this question: “If your house was about to be engulfed in flames, what would you pack first, and what would you pack if you had extra space and time?” Our packing had my four windstones (of course), photo albums, pictures, anything with the word “collectible”, my yearbook and grad tassel and my three hardcover “Inheiritance” books.

Coyote Moon

Bloodred Sun

Where There’s Smoke…

Leaping Flames

Ashes, Ashes…

This Just In:

Adaneth
    Participant

Scary! 😮 I’m glad you’re all right!

If I had to flee my home, cats and my pc & netbook would come first, after that…so hard to choose!

Anonymous

Wow DragonCat!

First, I am so glad you and your family came out unscathed – it is fierce the time when travels flame and heat!!!

Second – AWESOME pictures you uploaded!

Third – I would pack up the animals (4 birds, 2 cats) and their foodstuffs, then grab my CDs with pictures on them, then if I had time I would grab actual photographs. Then some quilts mom and grandma made (maybe one quilt before the pictures actually LOL) uh……really that’s about it. Everything else is replaceable and if no longer being made, oh well! It’s a shame to have to pick and choose but there’s no messing around with disaster.

Again, glad you only had to deal with the smell and ashes!! Welcome HOME! 🙂

Amanda
        Participant

SCARY!! Glad you’re ok!

I would grab my cats of course, and my little betta in a tupperware. If I had the time to take everything that fit in my car I’d grab my Windstones (but running with them I’d probably end up breaking them O-o), computer tower and external hard drive, cameras and photos, autograph collection, a bronze horse statue, and my corky pig piggy bank. Nothing in it, the bank itself is special.

twindragonsmum
          Participant

Yike-eeeeze! 😮 😮 😮 I bet that got your heart pumping!!! Sounds a little silly 😳 but I’d grab meboyohs (okay, not silly to grab boyohs) animals, boyohs baby pix, my laptop with all my family history and my griffie chick brood… And I’d also have Roddy grabbing stuff and the boyohs too!

twinddragonsum 😮

tdm

Bodine
            Participant

That is very scary 😮

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Jasmine
              Participant

Glad you’re okay. Cats, computer, Windstones…probably in that order.

Megan
                Participant

Cripes! That sounds terrifying 😮 I’m so glad you’re alright.

I guess I’d make sure the cats and guinea pigs were safe first. If there was time I’d grab my laptop and flash drives with all my writing on them, and one or two of my smaller Windstones. And my scrapbooks, totally.

darjeb
                  Participant

The first thing would grab would be my dog

Thank you everyone for all the well-wishes and concern. It’s nice to see comments like these after a stressful and scary situation like the one I just had.

It’s also cool to see the responses for the “packing” question. Family, fur & scale babies, and computer equipment top the list so far.

LOL at twindragonsmum’s “put boyohs to work”. XD
                    I would like to hear the piggybank story someday Eleu. 😉
                    Thank you for the picture comment Poems. 🙂 It’s kind of awesome to see beauty in something as foreboding smoke. In fact, here’s one of my favorite pictures, “Dragonsmoke”.

Bodine
                    Participant

That is a beautiful picture.
                      What I would grab….husband,pets,safe,oh s**t pack and as many Windstones as I could,namely Kalima,Toasty and Lil’B.I already have evac plans for hurricanes.You just never know when Nature is going on the attack.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Adaneth
                      Participant

Wow, what a gorgeous photo! Perfect name, too.

Sure hope the air quality is getting better for you guys!

lamortefille
                        Participant

Scary situation, but some beautiful pix. I’m very happy you and yours are safe.

By the time I rounded up the cats and birds, I doubt I would have time for anything else. I guess I would just have to start collecting all over again. 😮

Bob

WELL as a number of you might remember I have already been thru this once in my life 22 years ago this Christmas so I HOPE to NEVER have to go thru it again
                            I would make sure my cats are out of the line of fire first
                            I would have NO idea where tro go from there all my dragons are VERY precious to me and as you know I have a LOT of them. Over 100 Windstones and abotu 50 Franklin Mint ones. I would not be able to get 3 SK’s out the door in time and my first 8 and oldest most retired Emperors are in a glass case with their families and Earthquake putty holding them in place so maybe I would just have to be engulfed with them since I don’t think I could live thru all that again
                            Not trying to be morbid here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.