fbpx

The filling of the Grab Bag Baby Unicorn orders 1-26-12

Home Forums Windstone Editions Windstone Store Discussion The filling of the Grab Bag Baby Unicorn orders 1-26-12

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    fatalbeauty
    Participant

Wish you guys were closer than a few hours’ drive, I’d gladly come lend a hand!

I think we’d all wish to be closer but I bet plenty would mostly just love to be there…must be a fun place!

4 things I'm looking for:
      1. Mother Meerkat
      2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
      3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
      4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Sbianchi
      Participant

I just wanted to say THANK YOU EVERYONE ALSO A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO SUSIE!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

We do our own hosting, but one of my client sites actually has this problem fairly regularly.

When we put up certain popular products, we’d get so many order attempts in such a short time, that the store would sell more than we had.

We ended up changing the store code to debit something from inventory as soon as it was added to the cart to allow time to check out and not oversell. If the item isn’t fully checked out within an hour, it automatically drops back into available stock.

Not sure if something like that would help you or not. πŸ™‚

It doesn’t have to be an hour either, the time can be set to nearly anything. When I buy Mariners tickets, for example, I’m given something like a minute to decide if these are the seats I want,and then a total of just five minutes to complete the order process (at least, the part on my end with all the input fields, they don’t count processing time on their end.) If you don’t complete the process in time, the seats you’ve selected go back into the general pool for distribution.

It’s still a *little* nerve wracking, but I’ve been through the process a number of times now and they really do have the timing for each step set appropriately for their server capacity.

This is a really good way to have a cart system set up for high volume sales in a rush… some of the larger retailers do this, and for places that sell things that people scramble to buy all at once (like tickets to a show or game). I know Amazon does this on black Friday too when hundreds of thousands of shoppers are all trying to buy the same stuff at the same time…

I’m 100% unsure if it can be implemented for Windstone’s cart system or not, but if it can it would be fantastic.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
          Participant

It doesn’t have to be an hour either, the time can be set to nearly anything.

Oh, yes, sorry, I wasn’t recommending an hour – probably 5-10 minutes would be sufficient to complete all steps in the process (it’s more complex to add a timer at each step).

siberakh1
            Participant

Oh, yes, sorry, I wasn’t recommending an hour – probably 5-10 minutes would be sufficient to complete all steps in the process (it’s more complex to add a timer at each step).

This. I think this would help a lot. Kicking everyone off or bringing down the page while they are actually loaded into the store would help as well. That was the only way to get them loaded with all the page refreshing that was going on.

Ann

I really like this idea, if it’s something that can be done with the website.

PurpleTurtle
                Participant

This explains why I couldn’t even load the site on my computer. I got tired of waiting for the page to load and gave up on getting a unicorn. Kinda bums me out because I would have liked to get one of these guys. Never got a single GB uni to date.
                  It’s cool, though. I’ll just buy more PYOs with the money I would have spent on a gb uni. I know it may mot be a lot for some collectors – and not that they aren’t worth it – but 98 dollars for something I don’t know if I even going to like is a lot for me. I give up on the whole GB thing.

Ann

This explains why I couldn’t even load the site on my computer. I got tired of waiting for the page to load and gave up on getting a unicorn. Kinda bums me out because I would have liked to get one of these guys. Never got a single GB uni to date.
                    It’s cool, though. I’ll just buy more PYOs with the money I would have spent on a gb uni. I know it may mot be a lot for some collectors – and not that they aren’t worth it – but 98 dollars for something I don’t know if I even going to like is a lot for me. I give up on the whole GB thing.

I agree that it’s a lot of money if you don’t love them all. I really like all of the babies in this batch, so I figured I better go for one rather than gambling on another batch.

It’s a tossup for me. It’s more than I would have preferred to spend. There are two in this batch I’d be overjoyed to have. There are half a dozen more that I’d love to claim. The rest are cool, but I can take them or leave them.

But I went after one KNOWING there was an extremely high likelihood, at those odds, that what I was buying was really trading fodder (in fact, it’s probably already a committed part of a deal for something I want badly, barring a miracle delivery of one I just can’t bear to part with). And I’m OK with that. Yes, at some point, I want a OOAK from Melody’s hands, but if it’s not from this batch, it’ll happen eventually. And in the meantime, if this one isn’t a keeper for me, I can easily turn it into something I like better or want more.

Also, PT, given your amazing PYO work, I’d bet you could easily work a trade for a GB or two. You’ve got a terrific talent.

Riversgrace
                    Participant

I was happy to spend 98 bucks on a uni that is painted like an ebay piece. I will be very upset at anoyone who whines about what they got…we complain about something not being available, and we complain when it gets to us…hopefully most of us who actually were LUCKY to get one are happy with the one they get, and if they aren’t trade respectfully….I am sure it has hurt Melody’s feelings that we whine for these, and then when we get them…we say we hate them… I have traded myself, but I was nice about it…I still loved the uni I got, but was willing to trade her to someone that had been in love with her since I posted pictures, I ended up with a uni I adore, but never once did I disrespect Melody and her imagination by saying I hated any GB I have ever gotten…I hope this batch around we can be kinder and more thankful for what we get.

Ann

I really like what you said Riversgrace. I feel so bad for Melody who works so hard on her pieces. Not every design will appeal to everyone, but using words like “hate” is a little too much.

PurpleTurtle
                        Participant

I suppose I’m guilty of “complaining”. But I WAS willing to spend money on one of these guys. It wasn’t the item or the price I was complaining about as much as the website not working for me. I gave up because I figured it wasn’t meant to be. Not a big deal.
                          Anything individually hand painted by Melody is a treasure to me. My GB baby poad’s paint job is gorgeous. I admit, my only “complaint” was the eye color and that wasn’t even a major issue with me. The fact that it’s a unique critter that Melody took the time to paint makes it precious to me. I also appreciate it for the fact that I can’t compete with the ebay items. This way I still get to have a unique Melody item without the hassle of a bidding war. God knows Windstone could make more if they sold these guys on ebay instead of offering them in the store.
                          I don’t want to come of as being an unappeasable customer. Nothing is further from the truth.

KaytanaPhoenix
                          Participant

I think Melody did an amazing job on *all* of these and we should be very respectful in what we say and how we say things about them.

There is no way that we’re all going to get one that fits our tastes exactly, but no one should say they hate them. Just because it isn’t your flavor, doesn’t mean it isn’t the favorite flavor of someone else! – ‘n Just because it isn’t your flavor, doesn’t mean it isn’t a perfectly made piece πŸ™‚
                            That’s what makes trades fun. Finding the person who’s tastes is exactly what you have, and finding the one that matches your tastes…

Lord I hope that made sense o.o

I know in another thread I said something that might have come across wrong, in hindsight. ‘n that is my being anxious to possibly get one from the unseen pieces. ‘n hoping the unseen ones go into the batch where those who haven’t been shipped yet and those who were the ‘overrun’ order gets equal chances to the unseen and the original batch.
                            My mind has been frazzled with what has happened with my fish that I’ve been trying so hard to save, so I may have phrased it up wrong.
                            What I meant by it is I have a handful that I really love from the original batch, but my mind wonders if one of the new ones I would like even more… so it’s that “I really like that greenish blue with stripes one!! but there could be one from the new batch that I love even more!!” so it’s a fun anxious! (If this at all makes sense?)
                            I’m gonna stop trying to explain and hope that makes sense XD but know that I meant absolutely no harm from what I said! Even if I trade the one I get, it’s only because it wasn’t to my taste, ‘n I know someone out there is going to give that uni all the love it deserves, *not* in the slightest because I thought it was ugly!

I am very grateful I was able to get through the site issues, and user error issues XD I experienced, to get a confirmation email with an order number! πŸ™‚ and VERY grateful that Melody puts up with us all and does this for us!!

KaytanaPhoenix
                            Participant

I suppose I’m guilty of “complaining”. But I WAS willing to spend money on one of these guys. It wasn’t the item or the price I was complaining about as much as the website not working for me. I gave up because I figured it wasn’t meant to be. Not a big deal.
                              Anything individually hand painted by Melody is a treasure to me. My GB baby poad’s paint job is gorgeous. I admit, my only “complaint” was the eye color and that wasn’t even a major issue with me. The fact that it’s a unique critter that Melody took the time to paint makes it precious to me. I also appreciate it for the fact that I can’t compete with the ebay items. This way I still get to have a unique Melody item without the hassle of a bidding war. God knows Windstone could make more if they sold these guys on ebay instead of offering them in the store.
                              I don’t want to come of as being an unappeasable customer. Nothing is further from the truth.

Have/can you apply for the raffle? There is Hotdog in there πŸ™‚ he’s quite cute and a special piece yet beyond the GB babys now because of his Hotdog tattoo and unique story! πŸ™‚ ‘n he’s uber cute! ~ Reminds me, I need to put my name in the hat! lol

Christine
                              Participant

I don’t think anyone was referring to that, PT. πŸ™‚ I think it referring more toward the last batch of Youngs. People were really excited for them, but when some didn’t get what they were hoping for, I remember some complaints that made me wince a little on Melody’s behalf.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.