fbpx

Should people expect a cost of living increase annually??

Home Forums Miscellany Community Should people expect a cost of living increase annually??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Bob

I’ve done well but I got lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I started with the phone company, then Pacific Bell at about $29K and move to bcome a dispatcher with a base of about $46K but with allmy overtime I turn it into abotu $70K so now you can all see why I REALLY can not afford to lose my job by getting caught on the Forum. There has been talk about us going to Texas and if tha happens we coudl all be in trouble.

Oh ya, good luck selling the houses those employees have already purchased all at once.

Bob

the pewople they moved from Sacramento to San Ramon could not even afford to sell the sac houses and buy one in San Ramon. They are about 100 miles and $300K away from eachother

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Every time I want to complain about income, I think to the 4-5 years I survived on less than $10-12k a year, nearly 6 months of one of those years was supporting someone else too, and am humbled. Even then, I knew it could have been much worse.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Anonymous

Nambroth wrote:

Every time I want to complain about income, I think to the 4-5 years I survived on less than $10-12k a year, nearly 6 months of one of those years was supporting someone else too, and am humbled. Even then, I knew it could have been much worse.

I can relate. It was nice to finally have enough cash to get out of debt when I had my gov’t job (even if I just went right back in), but in the 7 years that I’ve been with my GF, only the last 2 or 3 were when we both had steady jobs, and well, that didn’t even last because now I quit mine to run Wild Rose.. but hey… if there’s enough money to live, eat and sleep and keep your bills paid (the, um, proper ones, not Windstone bills lol) then, what more do you need than friends and family?

Bob

I many sound like I have a lot of money but I’m very far in debt right now. After this winter and the storms finally hit I will be in a much better place but I’m at laest 2 or 3 years away from being in a good place financially

I can certainly empathise.

The bank has raised our mortgage payments three times in the last six months, from £720 in June 06 to closer to £780 now… supposedly to be in line with the Bank of England rate. Yeah, groceries and bus passes also go up, too – my bus pass is now £10 more expensive per month than it was last year.

However, I only get a pay review once a year, and at my last pay review I was awarded £0.50 per hour more – which, after tax, works out to having about £20 a month more.

So there’s about £50 per month that my cost of living has increased but my means has not.

We aren’t hurting for money… yet. Give us another few months.

Bob

I hope we get a new president and governer soon!!

Make good money, $5 dollars a day,
                If I made anymore I might move away.
                😈 (Greatfull Dead).

AMEN DM! (For the Pres anyway.) Bush doesn’t have much longer to royally screw things up, unless he passes a buttload of new bills. But, Arnie? You gotta give it to him. He’s been broke in *wherever he came from* to, what was it? Mr. Olympia (5 or 6 times)? To a mega millionaire actor with whatever he wanted. To Govenor of California. What else could he ask for? 😆
                The nursing home, cuz yes, that is what it is, that I work at charges Private Pay guests over $4k a month to stay there. Somewhere around $2500 for state aid rooms (which always come with a roomate)a month. We have about 25 Private pay, and 60 state, and then Medicare (I don’t know how much they pay, but I am sure its alot)at about 15. So, with that much money coming in, and I don’t see much going back into it, where in the hell is it all going? Because I am only making $9.70 an hour of it…..Hmmm 😕 But I got my raise last year…big $.35! But I won’t see another raise in about 5 years…If I am still there. Asphalt sounds fun! 😆

On TOP of being a crummy company now they have upped the bar for crappiness. Not only do they pay us significantly less than the rest of the city but the two things most precious to me are my schedule (7a-3p) and the benefits. They just changed my schedule to 7-4, mind you that leaves me with 2.5 hours to try and raise my son in the afternoon. If I’m going to have to work crappy hours I’m going to get paid more to do it. I think I will be seriously looking for new employment, maybe on second shift so I don’t have to pay for daycare and I still get the mornings and early afternoon with my son.

Anonymous

They just added an hour to your day with zero compensation?

Is this company public? Does it trade stocks?

Actually, being a person who has worked since age 12 and the creator of a few small businesses;…I’d also ask those of you who feel cheated by your employer: Does your productivity improve costantly over time? Do you expect to be paid for fixing mistakes that you were paid to make? Do you realize that you have agreed to sell so many hours / year to your employer? That this time you are paid for is no longer yours?
                  And lastly;….if you are worth more than what you are paid : Tell your boss to give you a raise or fire you 💡 . If you can’t get better at what you do, don’t do it, you’re wasting your time. This really counts in every part of life.

Anonymous

Art Slinger wrote:

And lastly;….if you are worth more than what you are paid : Tell your boss to give you a raise or fire you

I’ve done this twice in the last year. I quit a unionized government job, not due to pay, but due to the impact on my health, and I’m on the last week of a contract that I chose to end because the workload has increased beyond what was agreed and do feel cheated, and have made that known.

I’ve been in business for myself since 1998 while simultaneously working for either private or government entities. 2007 will be the first time I’m solely self-employed though, I think it’s time to focus.

I delivered papers at 13, so you beat me by a year. 😆 But I also ranked up to being a district supervisor who managed 55 carriers and 2200 customers.. until they sold the entire distribution system to a private company…

Bob

Corporate America sucks

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.