fbpx

removing old paint?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone removing old paint?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have a prototype PYO griffin that I half-painted, but now I want to do something else with it… how should I go about removing the old colors?

The paints aren’t too thick, I COULD paint over them, but I’d rather find out if there’s another way first.

Pegasi1978
    Participant

Some replies from other PYO repaint threads

skigod377 wrote:

I ran it under a faucet and scrubbed a little It didnt work to well. If you didnt lay on too much paint, you can always paint over it. Getting the paint off is difficult.

Algy wrote:

I use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.

Dip the q-tip and dab where you want to remove paint, you have to give it a few moments, then you can rub it off with your finger or an old toothbrush.

That’s how I work. 🙂

foxfeather wrote:

Pure actetone will take the Paint off just about anything. you get it in the automotive section of hardware stores. But I don’t know if it will damage the gypsum. Maybe try nail polish remover with acetone, if there is such a thing anymore, it might be gentler, or try the actone in a small spot first.

SPark wrote:

I’ve used acetone. Works just fine!

SPark
      Participant

I should add that I’ve found out acetone is kind of toxic. It takes paint off a little better than rubbing alcohol, but I’ve switched to using alcohol for most things, as breathing toxic fumes on a regular basis probably isn’t a good idea.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I actually used non-acetone nail polish remover and it worked fairly well at removing the paint.

Thanks a lot! I should have researched the threads first XD

Pegasi1978
          Participant

There are so many threads that sometimes things have a tendancy to get lost.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.