fbpx

Remember when…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Remember when…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Jodi
    Participant

There wasn’t an Internet when I was growing up. We had one computer (an old Wang model) for my entire high school and you had to sign up to use it. I never got a chance. I couldn’t imagine going to college without computers, and having to type out papers! Ugh!

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Perforated continuous computer paper. 😯 Remember that?

SilverArrow wrote:

OMG, yes! Those printers were so loud. Where they the dot-matrix? Or am I thinking of another printer?

Dot Matrix printers are loud by modern standards, but they were real quiet compared to the daisywheel or golfball typewriters that one could hook up to a computer. Teletype machines were loud too.

I still use a dot matrix printer for printing out daily and monthly reports from my point of sale machine, so I use perforated computer paper. Last time I checked, you could still get this stuff from Sam’s, so there must be a lot of other people out there stuck in the 20th Century.

Does anyone use a typewriter?

Lokie
      Participant

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“] compared to the daisywheel

Thank you, Dave! I was driving myself crazy trying to remember the name of my first printer, the daisywheel! 😆

My parents use to buy the encyclopedias that came out in volumes (two letters to a volume) at the food store. We had to switch brands half way through because our food store stopped carrying them. I still own them (and occasionally use them) 😳

Starbreeze
        Participant

😆 My parents used to buy those at the grocery too!!! We ended up with about 5 different types of the encyclopedia for the letter “A”. We only managed to get the entire set in one type. 😆

Quote:

emerald212 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 am Post subject:

——————————————————————————–

There wasn’t an Internet when I was growing up. We had one computer (an old Wang model) for my entire high school and you had to sign up to use it. I never got a chance. I couldn’t imagine going to college without computers, and having to type out papers! Ugh!
          Eek! I did have to do that… and if you proofed your paper and found a mistake early on that would change the spacing onto the next page, then you’d have to decide whether or not it was worth correcting & retyping the whole 20 page paper over *groan* 😆 Of course, I used a friend’s computer in college and after writing the whole paper I hit save and lost it and had to not only retype, but recreate! I do not make that mistake anymore.

The Castle [Dave wrote:

Does anyone use a typewriter?

😆 I would if my typewriter wasn’t broken.

Maria
          Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Quote:

emerald212 Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 am Post subject:

——————————————————————————–

Eek! I did have to do that… and if you proofed your paper and found a mistake early on that would change the spacing onto the next page, then you’d have to decide whether or not it was worth correcting & retyping the whole 20 page paper over *groan* 😆 Of course, I used a friend’s computer in college and after writing the whole paper I hit save and lost it and had to not only retype, but recreate! I do not make that mistake anymore.

Why didn’t it save?

Starbreeze
            Participant

Computers do strange things sometimes….

Maria
              Participant

Even way back then?

Jasmine
                Participant

I would think they would be more prone to doing odd things way back when…

Bob

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Even way back then?

WAY BACK THEN???
                    Now I really feel OLD!!!

Ha! I used to just say “computers hate me”, but really, you couldn’t (and I don’t know if you can now, I won’t try it again) type in a 20-page paper and then hit save once at the end. And back then I had no idea how to try to find a lost paper in the computer. G-R-O-A-N.

Maria
                    Participant

Jasmine wrote:

I would think they would be more prone to doing odd things way back when…

What, before Windows? 😆 Windows initiated computers doing odd things, I though.

dragonmedley
                      Participant

The first computer we got, we had to type win.exe in DOS to start up Windows.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

The first computer we got, we had to type win.exe in DOS to start up Windows.

Ditto!

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.