fbpx

Remember when…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Remember when…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Leigha
    Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Perforated continuous computer paper. 😯 Remember that?

Ha! I remember that. I used to rip the perforated parts off the paper because I liked making caterpillars with them ^^ folding them over and over so that they were all crimped.

twindragonsmum
      Participant

Dad worked for IBM and computers were programmed with punch cards. We would go to the yearly open house at IBM and got to see the ‘super computers’. They took up whole huge rooms and ran reel to reel tapes that were about the size of a dinner plate. Ever wondered where the term ‘bug’ came from to indicate a glitch in a program? It came about because if a fly or insect (bug) of any sort got into or onto one of the magnetic tapes and ran through the reader portion of the computer, it couldn’t read through the bug and caused everything to crash. What most people don’t know is that the PC that we all have at home and use every day has more computing power in that little box than all the computers combined that NASA used to put men on the moon 😯 and most cell phones today have more computing power than the original PC’s that came out in the early eighties!

twindragonsmum

tdm

Bob

BUT computers where just a FAD!!

twindragonsmum
          Participant

😀 😀 😀 😀

tdm

Maria
            Participant

Romeodanny wrote:

Aw, drive in movies were the best. Saw all three original Star Wars at the drive in.

Wolfen and I really wanted to go to the drive-in when I stayed with her. But the day we planned to go was Monday, and it turned out they were closed then. It was such a disappointment. 🙁

Ah, it’s too bad that you didn’t get to go to one. They are really fun. The last movie I saw at a drive in was Austin Powers. Now they would all be showing that long boring movie…. “Closed for Winter” 😆

Skigod377
              Participant

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Ha! I remember that. I used to rip the perforated parts off the paper because I liked making caterpillars with them ^^ folding them over and over so that they were all crimped.Yeah, we still use those at the office.

Starbreeze
                Participant

I remember when having internet access was not a requirement for school homework. Now the teachers assume you have it and expect kids to use it almost daily. Remember all those trips to the library for school projects? 😆

Maria
                  Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Ha! I remember that. I used to rip the perforated parts off the paper because I liked making caterpillars with them ^^ folding them over and over so that they were all crimped.Yeah, we still use those at the office.

For what?
                    Or was the sarcastic?

Skigod377
                    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

For what?
                      Or was the sarcastic?No, Im serious. We use them to print out flight pack stuff. Its kinda funny that that is a “remember when” and we still use them. It would be like someone on here saying “whats wrong with curb feelers?” I thought the Army was supposed to have all the high-speed stuff.

Maria
                      Participant

Exactly! 😆

Jodi
                        Participant

That’s pretty funny, Ski. I’m not sure what it says about the government, but pretty funny. O.o

Participant

Leigha wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Ha! I remember that. I used to rip the perforated parts off the paper because I liked making caterpillars with them ^^ folding them over and over so that they were all crimped.

OMG, yes! Those printers were so loud. Where they the dot-matrix? Or am I thinking of another printer?

Participant

starbreeze wrote:

I remember when having internet access was not a requirement for school homework. Now the teachers assume you have it and expect kids to use it almost daily. Remember all those trips to the library for school projects? 😆

And the Dewey decimal system – and the little cards in the long drawers. As far as I know most libraries now have that all loaded onto computers. There might be a few school libraries that still have them.

As for assuming people have internet that is not good. There are many who cannot afford a computer, let alone internet access – unless they have it at the school or a public library.

Skigod377
                              Participant

For real. I know I could not hve afforded it growing up. We did have those encyclopedia Britanicas that we never finished paying for.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.