fbpx

Remember when…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Remember when…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Mom still has a record player and records. We like to tease her about it.
      And it took me a year to convince Opa to finally get a PC in the office. (Thank goodness, because the next year we built 1000 apartments and couldn’t have managed without it.)

lamortefille
      Participant

emerald212 wrote:

laphon1 wrote:

Yeah, I remember these, too. My favorite uncle drove a Studebaker. My daughter has never heard of it. So many wonderful things. But how about some of the duds? Any one remember 8-tracks?

I remember 8-tracks. It would switch tracks half way through songs, and sometimes you could hear a part of another song along with the song playing. I got used to one 8-track I had (I sang along with it), so when the song came on the radio, I found myself stopping at the place where the song switched over to wait for it, but it didn’t stop because it was on the radio. 😆

My first car (a ’78 Camaro) had an 8-track player…I was hot sh*t. LOL! Yup, it used to “double track”.

I have a cell phone, but barely use it. I hate to talk on the phone…I think I talked myself out as a teenager.

Who remembers phones that you dialed? I remember when I was really young, some people still used the letters for a phone number…like LE3-5555

Microwaves have spoiled me. It used to take hours to cook something. Now I am impatient if it has to nuke for 5 minutes. 🙄 😆

Maria
        Participant

Once during a class outing we stayed at a place that still used the dial phones.
          I finally got a cell phone – forced upon me, almost. My brother got me a track phone with a prepaid amount on it for building site work. Mostly it sits at home in charger because I forget it.

Sigh, ditto sheets… dial phones, reel-to-reel, pong…

We actually had a milkman when I was a kid in Canada. He used to just let himself in the house because if the milk was left on the porch it’d freeze & bust the bottles. (Was a bit of a shock the first time he just walked in the house 😆 )

Jasmine
          Participant

Ah, the good old days. My dad used to work for Simpson/Sears (the department store) so he used to get all the new “toys” first. We had the first Intellivision…top loading VCR and a separate Beta…one of the huge old cell phones that probably give you cancer. And my dad still has to get fanciest gadgets even though he had no idea how to use them.

What about the old drive in movies? 🙂
            I remember going to a drive in to see King Kong, the original one 🙂

Jodi
            Participant

Perforated continuous computer paper. 😯 Remember that?

darjeb
              Participant

I remember those reel to reel things that’s all they had when I was in high school.

As for cell phones I don’t have one because I am hard of hearing and the technology for that is still not there. Congress pass a law awhile back that all cell phones have to be hearing aid compatible by a certain year but I don’t remember what year that is. I have volume control phones (land line) and that is all I can hear on.

Bob

I remember the old dial up phones and last month they just announced that as far as at&t at least the “TIME” lady is officially retired now. That was a big hit for me. I remember calling her as a kid. They said there are WAY too many other ways for people to get the time now with cell phones and computers. Plus apparently the equipment they used was VERY old and falling apart and would cost WAY too much to try and repair. So the TIME lady had been silenced for ever!!

Aw, drive in movies were the best. Saw all three original Star Wars at the drive in.

I remember the black and white TVs, the dial phones, most of all that stuff. I remember having a remote for the TV with a cord. 😆

This isn’t really technology but it is how things have changed: a couple years ago I was chatting with a woman about my age and her 10 year old son. She mentioned Harrison Ford and her son asked “who is Harrison Ford?” 😯 😯 So I said “he was in Star Wars” and the kid answered “no he wasn’t, Ewan McGregor was in Star Wars” 😆 Talk about a generation gap!

And look on the bright side – all the TV shows some of us enjoyed when we were young are showing up as movies!

Skylover
                  Participant

I loved drive in movies. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve gone to one though. Wal-Mart bought out the last one in the Springs.

I remember our computers when I was in grade school. They were Apples that took about 10 minutes to boot up and used “floppy” floppy disks. They also had the incredibly slow and noisy dot matrix printers.

My family didn’t have a computer in grade school. I had to type up my reports on a typewriter because my teachers wouldn’t allow a handwritten one. It had no correction tape and typing it up took forever.

I remember being on AOL back when there weren’t as many members and you didn’t have to use numbers in you account name.

My dad used to have one of the first DVD players. It used huge disks that had to be flipped over half way through the movie. My dad wouldn’t let us touch it or the VCR because they were so expensive.

(Jeez I’m only 25 years old!)

At work you can pick different ring tones for your phone. One of the choices is the ring tone of a rotary dial phone. When I hear one, I remember the old phones. To most of the younger people I work with, it’s just a unique sound and they’ve probably never even seen a rotary phone.

Anyone remember Q-Link? Q-Link was the predecessor to PC-Link, which is now AOL. You could only log onto Q-Link with a Commodore 64.

I didn’t have a Commodor 64, We had the Commodor (um, can’t remember what # it was, but, lets just say it was interesting) It didn’t have a floppy drive, it had a tape deck. I remember you had to put in about 50 command codes to do anything. It hooked up to the TV. (I think my parents might still have it somewhere….) And yes I do remember lazer disks. (The early DVDs) They were very expensive. We never got one. But, I remember you could rent the disk and the player from the video store. (Even renting them was horribly expensive.)

Bob

I’m not sure if it was mentioned but how about Laser Discs, the size of LP’s for those of you that remember LP’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.