fbpx

PYO KiRin-Green and Gold

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone PYO KiRin-Green and Gold

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

UnicornLvr wrote:

Thanks for your compliments. πŸ™‚

Ok, on the Pearl Ex….are you only trying to mix it with paint in order to apply it?

Are the pearl ex you’re using the light colored, almost pearly white looking, powders with just a hint of the blue or violent color in them? These are not the ones I use if so. The Pearl Ex ones I use are the ones that are the vibrant green colors (also come in a bunch of other colors, including several shades of blues and purples). They don’t have the words ‘interference’ on the label. Here is a link to the ones I am talking about. I am using Spring Green and Duo green-yellow.

Drats, the ones I have are the ones you don’t use. Thanks for the advice anyway. I did mix it with the paint and you can see some of the color, but not vibrantly. I’m thinking of mixing some with my “gloss medium & varnish” to see if that will help bring the colors out more.

I got the interference powders because my art store didn’t have any interference paints. I was hoping someone on the forum would have seen/used them and would be able to give some tips.

Try also using the powder on a base coat of paint though and see if you might like the results of that.

You can also use Liquitex brand irredescent paint, it works really well. Michael’s carries it if you have that store near you. I’ve had good luck with it anyway, and you don’t even have to worry about powders with that! πŸ™‚

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Forgive me for asking but how do you mean to try using the power on a base coat of paint?

I looked at the A.C. Moore I was at and they didn’t have any of the Liquitex brand irredescent paint in stock or believe me I would have gotten that. I’ll have to give Michael’s a try the next time I get over to Savannah.

Using it on a base color:

Say, for example, you are painting a KiRin. You hand paint the fur on the KiRin and get it how you like it but do not put any Pearl Ex in your paint. Just paint the fur however you want it using just paint. Let it dry *completely*. That is your ‘base’ color.

Now, take your jar of pearl ex. Take a *completely* dry paint brush. Dip the tip of the paint brush in the jar of pearl ex powder, then “paint” the pearl ex powder onto your KiRin sculpture, on top of the completely dried base coat of color. The type of pearl ex you have will work best on a black base coat, or any dark base coat, like dark blue, green or brown….it may not show up well if it’s on a lighter base coat. I’m not really sure to be honest with you.

Try that and see what it looks like.

Now, if what I’ve said above still does not makes sense let me know, and if you want I will try and make a photo tutorial. I’m working on a griffin right now and I’ve got a wolf I’m about to start as well. I’m sure I’ll use this method I’ve described on both of them, because they are going to have black base coats. :mrgreen:

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Okay, that does make sense, except how would I make sure the powder would stick? Do I seal it afterwards? If I do, can I use a brush on one or should I get a spray on version?

I’m just full of questions.

Ohhh it’s cool! I luvs answering questions! :mrgreen:

Yes, you do need to seal it. I should have mentioned that.

I highly recommend using a spray sealer. If you use a brush on sealent, it will brush that powder color right away! We don’t want that…. 😯

You can use Testors Dull Coat, but I personally prefer Krylon Matte fixative. The Dull Coat makes it..well…dull. πŸ™„ I have often bought the Krylon it at Wal-Mart. Michaels carries it but there it’s like $7 a can and I just won’t pay that unless I’m desperate. At Walmart it’s $3.96. You need to seal it after each coat of powdered pigment you use, so that it won’t rub off or smear. And lemme tell you, that loose powder luuuuvs to get rubbed and smeared if you’re not careful! I tried to procrastinate on sealent with that KiRin I did. Yeeaaah…didn’t work so well. Ended up having to repaint one side of his black fur then reapply the pearl ex starting again.

Pegasi1978
          Participant

Well looks like I need to get a can of spray on sealer and find something to cover the eyes with. I can’t see paying $8/bottle for masking fluid if I’m only doing a handful of PYOs. I have masking tape somewhere πŸ™„ , just have to find it or get a new roll.

Ok, don’t know how you would feel about this…but you don’t *have* to mask the eyes or horn when using the Krylon.

I did not do it on my KiRin. What I did after I was done spraying the fixative, was I used a brush on gloss on top of the eyes and even the gold horn. You cannot tell the difference, it is extremely glossy. The gloss won’t yellow over time, and it dries very hard. It is designed specifically for sculptures if I’m not mistaken.

If interested let me know and I’ll go find the name of the gloss I use. It’s upstairs somewhere in my art room. I know I bought it at Michaels and I think it was around $5. It’s a fairly small bottle but lasts a long time.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.