fbpx

PT's Art -WIPs – June 29 (pg. 11)

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion PT's Art -WIPs – June 29 (pg. 11)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    PurpleTurtle
    Participant

PurpleTurtle
      Participant

There was a time when I drew and sculpted all the time. When I was growing up it was a great escape for me. But as I got older, I found it harder and harder to commit any serious time for my own art. College, work and marriage have taken their toll and I’m trying – after years of being on an artistic hiatus – I’ve started to slowly regain some of what I’ve lost.
        Here are a few pieces I’m currently working on. The first is a dragon I sculpted out of Super Sculpy. I had started to paint him, but I made the wings too fragile and they snapped under the weight of my brush strokes πŸ™„ . I got frustrated and put him aside for a while, but I’ve since discovered Apoxie Sculpt, so I will be repairing and strengthening his wings and repainting him. The idea for this guy was that he’s a forest dragon. His wings are vestigial but still serve a purpose. This dragon is a male, and he uses his wings for courtship displays – kinda how male birds of paradise attract mates πŸ˜‰ . I intend to paint him with some groovy patterns and colors. Something irresistible to a she-dragon πŸ˜€ .

The next is a Breyer I’m customizing. Not much to say – I intend to make some dragony wings for him. He’s my first Breyer I’ve ever customized. I know some people get very involved with these guys (lots of sanding of seams and so on) but I’m mostly trying to have fun with this one. The added bits are on him are Apoxie Sculpt. He still has quite a bit more sculpting to go before I prime and paint him. The other horse is of the same sculpt. I think he’s destined to be a unicorn…..

These dragon heads are some other little projects I’ve started. Not sure what I’m going to do with them. I think the larger one I will make into a bust, but not until I finish one of the other WIPs.

Adaneth
        Participant

Wow! That all looks great! Looking forward to seeing more pics as you finish them. πŸ™‚ Your talent certainly hasn’t atrophied! πŸ˜†

Pegasi1978
          Participant

Wow I used to have that exact same Breyer sculpt once upon a time. Sold it on ebay a few years ago.

great work so far! i’m kind of in the same situation… used to draw ALL the time when i was younger, got really good. then college, career (graphic design) and a husband/family came up and put away the art for a LONG time. now that my little one is getting a little less dependent, i fit in time to draw every now and then. i may even start on my first pyo this week….

dragonmedley
            Participant

Oh, I love the dragon heads! And that first dragon? The expression on his face! Amazing!!!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

siberakh1
              Participant

VERY. AWESOME! Seriously. Those are really awesome. I was just thinking the other day about how awesome it would be to see some dragons with strong lower jaws, and if I were to sculpt one or draw one, I should do one with a stronger lower jaw, because you don’t see it as often. I like it! I like it! πŸ˜€

megamibabe16
                Participant

Wow, amazing! Even though you stopped for a while you still got it. The dragon is cool, different than most of the dragons that I have seen. He is very detailed. I like the idea for the Breyer horse. Hope to see the finished product soon.

PurpleTurtle
                  Participant

Thank you all so much for the compliments! Makes me feel good and actually gives me the motivation to do more πŸ™‚ .

PurpleTurtle
                    Participant

I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I love the dragon in all of his forms, but I seem to gravitate to the more mammalian looking dragon. Most of the dragons you see tend to have the narrow tapering, reptilian (or even bird-like) jaws. Also, when I draw dragons, they almost always have a mane – oppose to the traditional scales or spikes. But my favorite dragons have multiple features that borrow from multiple species πŸ˜‰ .

siberakh1 wrote:

VERY. AWESOME! Seriously. Those are really awesome. I was just thinking the other day about how awesome it would be to see some dragons with strong lower jaws, and if I were to sculpt one or draw one, I should do one with a stronger lower jaw, because you don’t see it as often. I like it! I like it! πŸ˜€

Anonymous

INTENSE! Your first dragon is amazing wicked and fierce, but I bet it would like to be rubbed on its belly! haha

The Breyer horse looks really interesting and yours is so much cooler than the unsculpted – BRAVO!

The two heads are magnificent, and I can’t tell how small they are but I have some large quartz crystals that would like to have a dragons head handle, someday πŸ˜‰

SUCH TALENT ON THESE BOARDS, makes me feel so darned inferior LOL Good thing I have humour and can live with my uncreative self. I used to ………..

Please keep finding time to do what makes you happy, especially when it makes others happy too! πŸ˜€

bayoudragon
                        Participant

purpleturtle wrote:

Also, when I draw dragons, they almost always have a mane – oppose to the traditional scales or spikes.

Yes! I love manes on dragons! πŸ˜€ I know it would probably take some effort, but ever considered sculpting one??

Wonderful stuff, btw! :yes:

Maria
                          Participant

You make me want to start sculpting now too, Purpleturtle! πŸ˜†

PurpleTurtle
                            Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

purpleturtle wrote:

Also, when I draw dragons, they almost always have a mane – oppose to the traditional scales or spikes.

Yes! I love manes on dragons! πŸ˜€ I know it would probably take some effort, but ever considered sculpting one??

Wonderful stuff, btw! :yes:
                              Thanks πŸ˜€ . I will, eventually. Actually, if I ever get to it, the larger sculpted dragon head was intended to be a maned dragon. I need to practice sculpting flowing hair a little more, though 😳 .

PurpleTurtle
                              Participant

Well, I’ve been doing quite a lot of sculpting lately. It’s late, so I only got some pics of the Breyers I’ve been working on. I’ll post pics of the other projects later πŸ˜‰ . As for these guys, I am done all of the sculpting I’m going to do, and I’ve primed them. I need to wait for the primer to dry completely. It’s cool here, so it’s taking a while. I’m sorry the pics are so crappy….
                                The wings on the demon steed I constructed completely from scratch. It’s cool, because now that I’ve figured out how to make them, I’ll be able to make wings for future sculpts. As for the unicorn, I re-sculpted the mane, tail and feet. I love foot ‘feathers’ on horses πŸ˜€ …

More pics to come…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.