fbpx

Older Cartoons

Home Forums Miscellany Community Older Cartoons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author

So I am sitting here listening to my hubby snore while my little girl and I watch Popeye. Wow! I cannot beleive how derogatory(sp?) it is! Not to mention violent! Helpless, annoying Olive Oyl, rapest Bluto or whatever his name is and pipe smoking, spinach eating popeye the savior! 🙄

Bob

asinnamon wrote:

So I am sitting here listening to my hubby snore while my little girl and I watch Popeye. Wow! I cannot beleive how derogatory(sp?) it is! Not to mention violent! Helpless, annoying Olive Oyl, rapest Bluto or whatever his name is and pipe smoking, spinach eating popeye the savior! 🙄

I have heard Bluto and Brutus.
      One thing I have NEVER understood is what did either of them EVER see in Olive Oil??
      Skinny, Whiney and annoying.

I couldn’t stand Olive Oyl and I never understood why they made a cartoon where one character constantly tried to molest another. *full body shudder* Definitely not for little girls!

We look at it now and see all it’s faults, but when I was a little kid, I actually liked Popeye, although I couldn’t tell you why. I never did learn to like spinach that much though… 😆

Bob

I do not remember the molestation part. I know they fought over her for whatever reason

Oh pooh, you guys are taking those way too seriously. I love the old cartoons, especially the ones that are banned now. Bad was obviously bad and good was obviously goo. You always knew the good guy would win in the end. Nowadays? Bad language, sexual innuendo, all sorts of encouragements for kids to be rude and crude, not too mention sloppy and loveless drawing of the figures and landscapes… I’ll take the old cartoons any day, thank you very much.

i love the old cartoons, i used to have the VHS tapes of all the 40’s-60’s cartoon stars ..it was somthing like a 10 tape set..popey, mighty mouse, woody woodpecker ( he was a dirty bird 😛 ) , chilly Willie, yogi bear and huckleberry hound all the good stuff. I swear after oh say 1990 cartoons got that nasty infection Political Correctness or PC for the laymen. I look at todays cartoons and they are so sappy , no adventure no excitement nothing that made the cartoons of the past awsome . I watched masters Of The Universe when i was like 7 and i didnt hack up people with my sword of Greyskull, although people did think of me as The Beast man cause i was so wild . But yeah the old cartoons had violence but atleast back in the day we were tought it was fake and the consiquenses of doing what was on TV . Unfourtunitly now kids are raised by TV and act out what they see , so they turn it all wishy washy so neglectful parents who let TV raise thier kids wont sue over what on the tube ..

If you want to see all the older stuff i think its 50’s – late 80’s check out Boomerange , its part of the cartoon network . It used to be on Comcast here but they took it off ( you know less channles higher cost to the consumer BS) i know its still on direct TV though all the good stuff 🙂

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh pooh, you guys are taking those way too seriously. I love the old cartoons, especially the ones that are banned now. Bad was obviously bad and good was obviously goo. You always knew the good guy would win in the end. Nowadays? Bad language, sexual innuendo, all sorts of encouragements for kids to be rude and crude, not too mention sloppy and loveless drawing of the figures and landscapes… I’ll take the old cartoons any day, thank you very much.

Same here! I really can’t watch most of the new stuff coming out now…. and people wonder why I watch anime instead of the new US shows 🙄 Most of them have more plot and thought into them than things like Spongebob or the like. Even the shows that used to be fun they don’t really let kids think like they used to. They seem to talk down to them. They even took the cookie from Cookie Monster because veggies are better… can’t have a monster trying to gobble down cookies! Give me the old cartoons, even from the 80s and early 90s any day!

Rusti
        Participant

This would be why I tend to go back to the cartoons nowadays that echo what I watched when I was little. I miss the likes of Transformers, He-man, Silverhawks, Thundercats, the Smurfs, etc, etc. So now I catch Transformers: Animated when I can.

The problem really is that parents are so lazy they won’t teach their kids that what they watch on television is fake, and if they were to act it out in play or life, there will be serious consequences, it might crush their little spirit all over the place. *facedesk*

I’m with GB. Gimme the old stuff any day as opposed to the poo they crank out today. Kids are smarter than that, give ’em a little credit.

Kujacker
          Participant

I find myself watching old cartoons, and more often than not going “…now WHY did I use to like this?”.
            Some are still as good as I remember, but most aren’t.
            As for Popeye I never watched much of it so I can’t say anything…

Bob

I STILL LOVE the Flintstones

HAHAHA!!! The poppye thing is funny. (it being violent) My daughter like to try to watch Rocko’s Modern Life. It’s more gorey (SP) than anything. I liked to watch Fraggle Rock when I was little, also Felix the Cat. Anyone heard of those???

I picked up on the Brutus/Olive Oyl thing as a kid and wouldn’t watch it – which was fine with my mom.

My favorite cartoon as a kid was Kimba the White Lion – actually have it on DVD.

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Dance your cares away,
                Worry’s for another day.
                Let the music play,
                Down at Fraggle Rock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.