fbpx

Nightmares & Insommnia…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Nightmares & Insommnia…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hate to be a little on the downer side, especially after a fun time camping, but i’m not exactly sure what to do… 😥 I have tried to just go to sleep lately and i’m either too “up” to sleep or I have really wierd, vivid, and horrible nightmares. Like, I had a nightmare a few days ago about how I woke up one morning and I couldn’t remember who I was, where I was, or why. I couldn’t tell you my name, I couldn’t recognize my favorite “little kid toy” animal and I couldn’t feel anything. I also had another one where apparently, I was somehow an experiment of the devil (even if I’m not religious)… I feel rambly, but I just really have to get this stuff out because I had the same type of insommnia/nightmare stuff the first time I saw Saw 2 and it took a long time to turn off my tv and my lights, and to stop hiding under the covers. Maybe its just looking over the edge of who I used to be as a kid and a student and trying to transition into someone responsible and tough and an adult but its just… hard. I try keeping up my “I’m happy and everything is fine” mask, but if I can’t sleep soon, I’m afraid that someone will find out and think I’m mental or something really bad… help?? :shrug:

Pegasi1978
    Participant

One thing that I’ve found lately that helps slow the mind down and let me get a full night’s rest is Melatonin. I’ve been taking two 3mg pills before going to bed (will swap to one 5mg pill when the bottle is empty in a few days). I take it about an hour before going to bed and sleep really well.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

I’ll second the melatonin. Take as small of an amount as possible at first until you know how much you need; I only need 1/4th-1/2 of a 3mg pill. Remember to use Light Therapy.. take it just before you are ready to go to bed, and then turn the lights off, it’s important to do so for it to work. Then when you get up in the morning try and get some light; if not natural light then turn the lights on at home. It can take a few days to get it to work properly.
        Only take it as long as you need it; it’s not addictive exactly but it does change how your body manages its own natural melatonin so it’s best to only take it in short bursts when you need it the most.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

dragonmedley
        Participant

There are lamps too that can help with your sleeping patterns, but I think they can get pricy, especially if this isn’t chronic.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Anonymous

I will third the melatonin! I am an insomniac, and it really helps me fall asleep. I sleep with a t.v./nightlite on, but the t.v. is set to go off in 120 minutes. Without the melatonin I am awake when the t.v. goes off – with it, I’m asleep before……usually within an hour 🙂 IT REALLY DOES WORK!

Ok, so basically I had nyquil for 2 nights and then I went searching for the melatonin and crashed yesterday at my friend’s house. It worked (thank you all!) but i’m still worried… life kinda sucks right now (confused about what to do now) I guess i’m WAAY over-nervous. :shrug: Hoping that I can get all this stuff over with now & feel better. 🙂

Pegasi1978
            Participant

Maybe try keeping a journal/writing about the nightmares? It might help you figure out what’s at the root of them.

Kujacker
              Participant

I have a severe problem with sleeping as well. I don’t have nightmares, but I just can’t sleep. I use to take melatonin, though it never helped (and I’m talking two 5mg pills, and I’m extremely underweight which means it should affect me better/faster right?). Because it never works, I just don’t take it anymore.
                Exercise doesn’t help, nor does warm milk. And the kicker is I’m tired all day. Always! I’m half asleep all day long, and actually fighting myself to stay awake but when I get in bed at night and try to sleep, my body is like “Nop! I kid I kid!” and I’m wide awake all night. So night or day, I’m miserable.
                I also read till around 1am, since it’s said to calm your body… but again, does nothing to help me sleep. Actually, sometimes I start getting tired while reading, but when I put the book away BAM. Wide awake again!
                That “nop” isn’t a spelling error, it’s how I say “nope” sometimes… like, saying mop, just with an ‘N’.

I can’t say my sleeping has gotten worse lately. It’s always been bad. But since I quit my job, I just assumed it was because I didn’t move around enough. But I do exercise like I said, so I don’t believe that. I’m as clueless as you are when it comes to sleeping 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.