fbpx

My Black Gold Wing

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone My Black Gold Wing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

This was a commission from December I just finished up, and I’m not happy with the end result, considering all the time I put in to fix this up. I tried not to blend other than with drybrushing, to keep it more natual and realistic, not smooth like my others. I really wanted it detailed and to look better than others I have done but to be honest I think I failed somewhere along the line, so I will be redoing this one soon for the client with something better looking. One last thing I do need to add…the cheeky moles. I keep forgettng to add that before taking the photos!
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46881875/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46881760/

SPark
    Participant

Man, your mistakes look better than my best work.

Aw, no everyone’s PYOs are awesome, and also yours SPark. I could never copy one of yours in your style any more than someone could copy my style. Well, not unless I taught classes…lol.
      But sadly I have to say I don’t like how this one came out…it just didn’t match or outdo the image I had in my head.

The colour pattern is still very striking and well-placed, if I may say so.

Arlla
      Participant

That looks like a really challenging color combo!! I think you did better than I could have! Yikes!!

Maybe if you tried to do some of the blending with antiquing?? That tends to look natural like drybrushing and might be a little easier…

I think it looks fine as it is, though…

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
        -J R R Tolkien

Maria
        Participant

I like the color scheme a lot. But Arlla has a point. In some places it does look rather solid, isntead of blended.

Well, I’ll just stick to what I do best next time, lol, but trying something new doesn’t always turn out as planned.

Andrea
          Participant

The only part I see a problem with is the face markings aren’t blended enough. I love how you did the wings and the sholders look fabulous. Don’t scrap him!

He won’t be scrapped completely…I’ll just repaint a different model. This one I put on ebay so at least I get my PYO money back for another sculpt. This one was very dissappointing! I just suck at drybrushing I guess.

Andrea
            Participant

Practice makes perfect?
              Is there somewhere that describes how to drybrush?

Basically, when you drybrush you only use a little bit of paint on your brush, and have to dap most of it off so it’s not as thick or wet as usual…and not get water on your brush! Then you very lightly brush the brush over the area and all of the 3D parts of the sculpture pop out with the color…it works great for highlighting, like on feathers (although not MY feathers). Ideally, what you drybrush should look more natural and wild, not smooth.

See, all of my sculptures until this piece have been done using paint on a wet brush, and then water and more paint to ease the blending process. This gets faster coverage and better blending, especially having all your paint colors available at once so you can swap between them and blend easier. Drybrushing you have to constantly load your brush and dab it to remove access paint, and can only paint over a small area before having to do it all over again. And you have to dry your brush well because switching colors. It’s a more time-consuming process which SHOULD yield realistic results. I have seen it done very well before with folks who haven’t even tried painting before in their lives! But alas, I’ve never really mastered this technique but thought I would give it a lagitimate go this time around.

I guess I should say it came out “ok” but as an artist I beat myself up over things that don’t come out as I envision.

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Wow Water, I think he came out really cool! I love the face! and the fur tufts! I thin kit came out amazing, I wish the ones I didn’t like came out that good! LOL

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Skigod377
                Participant

SPark wrote:

Man, your mistakes look better than my best work.

Haha! Mine, too!

I like everything but the face… something looks funny to me there… maybe the mouth or the round eyes? I dont know… BUt its still pretty.

Andrea
                  Participant

I’ll have to try the drybrushing on the griffen I’m working on. I’ve already started on it, but the wings are untouched, so I’ll try on them.
                    Thanks for the info!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.