fbpx

Museum Pics – Dinosaurs!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Museum Pics – Dinosaurs!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sirithiliel
    Participant

Just felt like sharing more pictures =) SOrry for the quality, my camera is really going downhill… these are from the local museum near where I live, the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History in Oklahoma. It’s got some very unique fossils, and is also currently showing a summer exhibit of Chinese dinosaurs, on loan from China.

One of my favorite things about this museum is its biggest dinosaur display, featuring the largest Apatosaurus skeleton ever displayed, along with the smallest Apatosaurus skeleton. The large carnivore dinosaur is unique of Oklahoma [with some possible material found in New Mexico, but only definite specimens are from Oklahoma], called Saurophaganax. It is also our state fossil. All three of these skeletons were found in the same quarry in the Oklahoma panhandle.

It’s very hard to get a good picture of these three, since they’re so big and you can’t back away very far to get a good shot of them. So the baby is a bit blurry in the top most picture but you can see it under the bigger Apatosaur.

Another unique display is a skeleton of Pentaceratops [disputed to be a holotype of Titanoceratops, but they haven’t confirmed t his yet…] It holds a Guiness Book of World Records record =)

Here’s some fun pictures from the Chinese exhibit. I know one of hte pictures has the front of the skull cut off, I’m working on resizing the picture =/ Going down, they are: Yangchuanosaurus, Monolophosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, and Szechuanosaurus.

Ann

So awesome! I love dinosaurs and fossils! We have some mountains here that were Pangea coastline, I love to go hiking and finding footprints and fossil shells.

That Pentaceratops skull is sooooooo cool! I will have to come out to OK just to see it.

Thank you for sharing!

littleironhorse
        Participant

Nice pics! 🙂

I SO need to go back to the Natural History Museum in Ottawa!!!

Elena
          Participant

Those are great photos! I love seeing the travelling dinosaur exhibits, it’s neat to see all the dinosuars you’ve only read about in books 😀

If you like dinosaur vactions then you need to come visit up here. The Royal Tyrell Museum of Paleontology is about an hour west
            (ish) of me and it’s awesome! 😀
            http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

Those are great photos! I love seeing the travelling dinosaur exhibits, it’s neat to see all the dinosuars you’ve only read about in books 😀

If you like dinosaur vactions then you need to come visit up here. The Royal Tyrell Museum of Paleontology is about an hour west

I LOVE the Royal Tyrell – I really need to go back sometime, it’s been years since I was out there….

And cool pics!

Sirithiliel
            Participant

It sounds awesome but is a biiiiiiiit far away for me =) sadly. Love fossils. Especially theropods

Sirithiliel
              Participant

Here’s some more pics =) first ones are the other fossils in the traveling CHinese dinosaur exhibit. Protoceratops and Velociraptor

Some fossilized eggs. THese are real fossils, not casts, which is why they’re under glass. the dinosaur under the third egg is one I forgot the name of, and didn’t photograph the name like I did the others =/

some more pictures from the museum itself…Deinonychus chasing baby Tenontosaurs and a mother Tenontosaur fending it off. Below that is a Dimetrodon.

Pteranodon and some aquatic fossils that I forgot the names of…pternanodon picture is taken from a upper balcony

SilverDragon
                Participant

Ohh cool! Love the pics!

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
                  Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.