fbpx

Im Fostering Puppies!!! Pic on PG 4

Home Forums Miscellany Community Im Fostering Puppies!!! Pic on PG 4

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Technically I’ve only done it (sort of) once. Pixie came and practically trained herself. I hope one day to get another dog like her, she was so smart, I keep thinking she stole all her intelligence from her littermate, Ben, who had all the intelligence of a pile of rocks.

If they’re a small enough breed, you can train them to use piddle pads. These contain a special scent that encourages pups to go on them. I wouldn’t recommend this for larger breed puppies as a long term idea, tho’. The best use for them is to put them right by the door you want to take the pups out through. Let them piddle on the pad, then move the pad outside.

If you use a crate (and we love our crates; my Pyr goes to hers by herself every night…) and don’t want them to poo in the box, make sure it’s small enough that they don’t have lots of extra room.

Foster and Smith has good prices on dog gear, including crates and toys.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com

Been using stuff from them for years.

Dragon87 wrote:

What you want is a crate and a small room or pen that they can call their own. You can try to train them to poop in the crate if they are old enough (as in, not newborns).

ok, this is probably going to be a stupid question, but why would you want them to poo in their crate? We’ve only had one crate-trained dog in our family, but my understanding was that the crate is supposed to be like their den, their safe place to hang out and sleep, so if they need to be crated they aren’t upset over it. If the dog is pooing and peeing in his crate – hm, I can’t see him being happy to be confined inside of it. None of our dogs wanted to sleep among their own poo.

sorry if I’m wrong on this, as I said, we didn’t crate train until my brother got his Brittany – who was supposed to become a bird-dog which was why he was crate-trained. 😉 for safer transport to the hunt site in the back of the vehicle with other dogs, etc. Yeah, never did become the hunting dog.

Skigod377
    Participant

From what I understand, crates can be used both for sleeping and to keep puppies from pooping all over. I will use it for that. I do have the kennel. The puppies are here and they are cute. Look like shephard mixes. I dont know why I was surprised, since rescue dogs are usually not in good condition, but these guys have worms and fleas. God its nasty. I have seen pups with big bellies and assumed they had worms and wormed them, but these acutally have worms in their poo… and the fleas are horrible. They arrived covered in their own pee cuz they were scared of riding in the car. Jeez… they are looking better already but have flakes because of the fleas. They sure are cute though. I have taken pics but it will be a while before they are developed. 🙂

Stephanie
      Participant

Aww, the poor things. I’m glad they’re getting good care! 😀

Skigod377
        Participant

They really are cute and one is particulary smart, and calm to boot. She is my favorite. Oh, they are 3 females, two with longer fur and the smart one has short fur, that for some reason has spots either shaved or scratched off.

dragonmedley
          Participant

Treat them for the fleas and the worms, give them regular food, exercise and love, and whatever hair came off will grow back.

That’s what happened with one of the ferrets I looked after; and she was an old one too.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
            Participant

Yay! They have someone to love on ’em, get ’em healthy and spoil ’em a bit… Good on ya, ski!

tdm

mikki wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

What you want is a crate and a small room or pen that they can call their own. You can try to train them to poop in the crate if they are old enough (as in, not newborns).

ok, this is probably going to be a stupid question, but why would you want them to poo in their crate? We’ve only had one crate-trained dog in our family, but my understanding was that the crate is supposed to be like their den, their safe place to hang out and sleep, so if they need to be crated they aren’t upset over it. If the dog is pooing and peeing in his crate – hm, I can’t see him being happy to be confined inside of it. None of our dogs wanted to sleep among their own poo.

sorry if I’m wrong on this, as I said, we didn’t crate train until my brother got his Brittany – who was supposed to become a bird-dog which was why he was crate-trained. 😉 for safer transport to the hunt site in the back of the vehicle with other dogs, etc. Yeah, never did become the hunting dog.

Did I say that???? Oops I meant not in the crate, like, somewhere else where they are enclosed. Poo I’m having a bad day for catching silly stuff.

Skigod377
              Participant

😆 These guys sure are full of poo. 😆

Travistie
                Participant

It’s a shame they have worms. Poor things! I’ve never seen worms in a dog’s dump before, and I’m glad. That’s gotta be a real nasty sight. Hopefully they’ll be easy to get rid of. Same with the fleas.

I know our dog, when she was a pup, would not go to the bathroom in her crate. We have locked her in the kitchen with gates (when we had to go out for long periods of time, and thought it best that she have more room), and she would not mess in there either. She had no problem going elsewhere in our place before she was house broken though. But just did not want to be confined in the same area with the mess. My husband was out of town for a whole week one time, and I had to leave her in the kitchen while I went to work. Not 1 mess in that kitchen the entire time. She did like to chew her bed and scatter food everywhere though. 🙄 😆

skigod377 wrote:

From what I understand, crates can be used both for sleeping and to keep puppies from pooping all over. I will use it for that. I do have the kennel. The puppies are here and they are cute. Look like shephard mixes. I dont know why I was surprised, since rescue dogs are usually not in good condition, but these guys have worms and fleas. God its nasty. I have seen pups with big bellies and assumed they had worms and wormed them, but these acutally have worms in their poo… and the fleas are horrible. They arrived covered in their own pee cuz they were scared of riding in the car. Jeez… they are looking better already but have flakes because of the fleas. They sure are cute though. I have taken pics but it will be a while before they are developed. 🙂

Worms in their poo is quite the … disgusting sight. Everything I saw at the SPCA and that was one of the worst… I don’t envy you that!

Skigod377
                  Participant

I think we got rid of the fleas. The lady from the HDF called and said I could pick up some Frontline from the vet here in Wahiawa on Tuesday. This is really cool. I get to play with the puppies but I dont have to pay for their food or vet care!! I would have been willing to do it myself, but if I dont have to, then Hey. I still have to work on houstraining, but I can handle that.

Maria
                    Participant

It sure is nice of you to do this for the puppies, Ski. Here I thought you already had enough animals to keep you busy…

skigod377 wrote:

They really are cute and one is particulary smart, and calm to boot. She is my favorite. Oh, they are 3 females, two with longer fur and the smart one has short fur, that for some reason has spots either shaved or scratched off.

You are SO awesome for doing this!! Have they been to the vet? I would be leary of mange if there are bare patches in her coat. I may be way off base, but I thought a flea allergy could cause one of the 2 types of mange…

How are your two doing with the pups?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.