fbpx

Im Fostering Puppies!!! Pic on PG 4

Home Forums Miscellany Community Im Fostering Puppies!!! Pic on PG 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

I emailed the Hawaii Dog Foundation, on impulse, and told them I would be interested in fostering a puppy if they ever found themselves in need. Well, a couple weeks later, they email me back an application. I filled it out and sent it back a couple days ago and I got a call just NOW! Apparently they have an influx of puppies. They asked me if I could take THREE!! I told them ok, since she said it should only be about a week. I hope I know what im getting into. 😆 They will be here tomorrow night. SO SOON! Any advice from those who have done this?

Skigod377
      Participant

Katherine
        Participant

I don’t have any advice, but it sounds like a fun challenge!! Pics as soon as you can!

Travistie
          Participant

Never done that before, but I wish you lots of luck! They will certainly keep you busy! 😆

Starbreeze
            Participant

Do you have a crate??? You should keep them in one when no ones home or you’ll have puppy poopies everywhere!!! 😯

Skigod377
              Participant

I have Rab and Moocahs crates, so thats enough. :)If I need them I will use them. 🙂 I hope they are cute!

Leigha
                Participant

awww, we definately need pictures. I love puppies 😀

Starbreeze
                  Participant

All puppies are cute!!! 😉 Get a disposable camera or something. We need pics when they arrive!!!! 😀

Stephanie
                    Participant

starbreeze wrote:

Do you have a crate??? You should keep them in one when no ones home or you’ll have puppy poopies everywhere!!! 😯

We crate trained our dog, and it was the only think that kept us sane! 😀

dragonmedley
                      Participant

I fostered ferrets for the Toronto Ferret Aid Society a few years back.

It was a bit of a nightmare to coordonate all the cages and when who got time to romp around (my own ferret didn’t like the fostered ones), but it was a good experience.

Way to go!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

Any idea what sort they’ll be?

tdm

Andrea
                          Participant

That’s so cool of you to do! You just saved three lives!
                            Oh, and ditto about the pictures!

Skigod377
                            Participant

I dont know anything about them. I wanted to ask but the reception on the phone was bad, so I just gave her directions to my place before the phone cut out. I dont know how old they are, what kind, nothing. 😆 But yes, all puppies are cute and we have enough kids around here to keep them entertained. I am excited! Luckily its only supposed to be for a short time, so if me and fostering dont get along it will not be for long. 😆 I will try to get pics. A disposable will work fine… I gotta make sure I get them developed then.

I’ve never actually fostered puppies in my own place (apartments are small and we aren’t allowed without a huge deposit anyway), but I did work at an SPCA last summer, and took care of lots of puppies. If you need some advice or anything I should be ok with answering. If I’m not I will say so, I’m no trainer, or anything, I just have alot of experience with the little poo machines.

What you want is a crate and a small room or pen that they can call their own. You can try to train them to not poop in the crate, or near their food, preferable outside, if they are old enough (as in, not newborns).

Apparently what works, if they poo where you don’t want them too, move it to a more suitable location (ie, outside), and then clean with a cleanser that has an unattractive smell. Something the puppies will be fine with going on, but won’t want to poo on. You can find them at alot of petstores, but they have varying degrees of how well they work. Also, don’t put their food right by the place they are supposed to poo in, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to eat in the bathroom, and they don’t want to either. Either way, if you put their feces where you want them to poo, then they will poo there. They will smell that they’ve done it there before (even if it’s because you moved it) and then they will go there again. Which is why good cleaning for the oopsie spots is essential, or they will go there again if they can smell it. Their new owners would appreciate if there was at least a head start on the training (and it’s less messy for you), so that’s something to consider.

And they will make a mess, so try to place them in a place you can clean easily, ie, NO CARPETS! Give them blankets to lie on, ones that you are fine with tossing after.

I just edited this!!!!! I’m crazy I think that I put that they should poo in the crate. You don’t want them to do that, they sleep there!!!! D’oh!

Purplecat
                              Participant

Oh my….I’ve never done anything like that! But I do know when we adopted Shadow and he was our first dog….he’s like an extra kid. 😆 that may just be because he’s spoiled though…. 😆 Take care and post pics when you get them! Good luck with it too, although I’m sure you’ll be fine. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.