fbpx

I'm Back, did anyone notice me missing???

Home Forums Miscellany Community I'm Back, did anyone notice me missing???

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My address is on the gaming store AND wild rose’s websites ya know. 8)

LOL well then I will have to look you up next time I go to the city, should be within a few months I suspect, and will definatly be there in july, transformers and harry potter.

Anonymous

Ah July, last year it was approaching 32 in here with the AC on 24 hours a day. 40 computers do that… and now I have another server too..

LMAO 😆 I know what you are talking about, the company BF works for here has an internet company, they sell internet service, the room that crap is in get hot as well, even with the AC.

Anonymous

Our new data center was only running 1 out of 2 units when we first moved back in January, and it was 35-40 degrees. Every fan in the place was running at full speed (since most computer/server fans now adjust for temperature in order to conserve power) .. well, you’re supposed to wear hearing protection over 85 dB, I would say the sound level down there was at least 100 dB. Once the second AC unit was fully functional, the sound level is down to probably around 60 dB, you can actually talk to other people around you and hear them.

Oh, yeah, and it was what, -35 outside during January? It sure screws with your head and body when you have to remove two layers of clothing when you enter because the temperature changes by 70 degress…

Each AC unit is capable of 10 tonnes of cooling, so we have 20 tonnes in our area, which is about … hmm.. maybe 200 feet by 100 feet? If we shut off all the servers I’m sure you could bring it down to -30 very easily. 20 tonnes, that’s … um.. 240,000 BTU I believe.

Let me see if I can remember my math… it takes 1 ton, or 12,000 BTU to melt one ton of ice in 24 hours. So for the cooling power our AC is using, if it were expressed in heating, it would be able to melt 40,000 pounds of ice in 24 hours.

1000 BTU is about 300W of power too.. so figure those machines are sucking back about 36kW of power every hour, if they’re lucky enough to be paying 5 cents per kW, those machines are costing about $1200 a month to run, minus service calls for the plumbing, maintenance, etc.

You start to wonder how you could ever make any money in this line of work without putting 5000 websites on each server. This is why we pay four figures a month just for our 10×10 space, never mind the actual equipment, power and internet connections!

Our power bill at the internet cafe is about $1000 a month. That’s 40 computers on the floor, various amounts of them on at a time, 5 or 6 servers, camera system, 2 coolers, ice machine, CF lighting, TV, Xbox, and whatever tonnage HVAC unit is on the roof .. .whatever it is, it’s not enough for what we’re doing.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.