fbpx

If anyone is interested

Home Forums Miscellany Community If anyone is interested

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

It took me three tries to pick out the pit bull. I don’t think any breed is terrible- it’s usually the owners who suck.

Bob

If I ever get another dog I would LOVE to get another Basenji. We had one when I was growing up and they are WONDERFUL dogs.

Cheryl did you decide against the siggie??

ruffian wrote:

Our cat was also a stray, hubby says that is the only way he will ever get a cat, me if I could find a munchkin/sphinx cross it would come home, there is just somehting about a cat that has no hair and short legs that appeals to me, they dont shed and they cant jump on the counters.

For dogs I am very picky, I do show, and I want to do obediance as well so being in Canada I need a purebred, unaltered dog. In the US, with the AKC you can get a special number that allows you to compete in some dog sports. I am currently looking at getting either a Bouvier des Flanders or an American Staffordshire Terrier in the future.
      I love staffies. It’s too bad about the pit bull ban here. It includes the staffie breeds as well. They’re already talking about banning rotties and I think I heard something about Malamutes. And some other breeds. I hate Kitchener for that.
      Stupid all of it. Yes some dogs are dangerous, but, most of the dogs that attack are owned by people that are unfit to own that particular breed, or to own a dog at all. I know some people that breed American Bulldogs. For some reason they are mistaken for pit bulls all the time. To me they look like boxers. I’m not afraid of most dogs. I don’t trust German Shepards. (Mainly because I have trouble reading thier body language.) I hate chows because of a bad experience with them. I’m not afraid of pit bulls.
      Most people are attacked because of that little thing called fight or flight reflex. If you run from a dog or any animal they will probably chase you, especially if they are going to attack. Everyone needs to learn what to do incase of a dog attack. And parents need to teach their children the proper way to approach a dog. A malamute was put to sleep because a child walking by a tied up malamute went up to the strange dog and put her face in the dogs face. The girls father should have known better. He shouldn’t have let his daughter approach the dog, especially like that. That was a direct challenge to the dog. I was so dissapointed to hear that this happened. The poor dog. I felt bad for the child as well but, I felt worse for the dog and the dogs owner.

Skigod377
      Participant

That is terrible. I was watching a show last night about how to survive animal attacks. First was dogs and they had actual home videos of dogs attacking. Of course, every single one was a pit or a rott. 😕 They also had alligators, sharks, and dogs in packs. They said there are over a million stray dogs out there. It just goes to show, that if you have no intention of breeding, you should really spay or neuter. You never know when your animal might slip away.

See the worse part of BSL is that it never stops with the first breed, it almost always continues to the next breeds someone views as dangerous. It would make more sence to control the actual dangerous dogs rather than the ones someone views as dangerous. I am very much in favor of dangerous dog laws. In Edmonton if you own a dog deemed as dangerous, and this does include pits, any dog that a vet deems as a pit type dog, that is not regestered as an AmStff Staffy or American Pit, it has to be leashed at all times, muzzled when off your property, you have to pay higher regestration, but at least you can own them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/dogs/
        “A dog needs responsible ownership regardless of breed,” she told CBC Radio. “You train it, you contain and you socialize it. If you ban these guys, what’s next? Italy started with a banned list of 13 breeds. They’re up to over 40 now. They just banned Welsh Corgis!”

The thing that gets me is that they always state how much the BSL has stopped pit bull attacks (duh), but they almost never go on to say that dog attack numbers havent gone down. If the dog attack numbers were down then they would not add more breeds to to the lists.

Skigod377
        Participant

According to the study, the most common biters are

German shepherds
          Cocker spaniels
          Rottweilers
          Golden retrievers
          Other than rottweilers, the breeds named are among the most common in Canadian homes.

Statements like this annoy me. The most common biters are the ones people have. Go figure.. the more there are, the more bites you will have. Its the same as “Most shark attacks happen close to the shore.” DUH! Thats where the people are! Its hard to bite people in the middle of the ocean when they are harldy ever there….Or most car accidents happen close to home. Another DUH! Thats where people do most of their driving.

LOL yep that is what people are trying to say about pits in the US, 40% of all the dogs in the US fall into the pit type catagory, so of course there will be alot of them.

Skigod377
          Participant

ruffian wrote:

LOL yep that is what people are trying to say about pits in the US, 40% of all the dogs in the US fall into the pit type catagory, so of course there will be alot of them.

I heard its getting really bad in the states. Im worried that when I try to go back that no state will have me because of my rotts! 😮

I can’t beleive they banned the Welsh Corgi! Yes Welsh Corgis bite. They are herd dogs. They nip the heals of cattle (I think, it’s hard to remember all these facts I had to learn for dog grooming.) Give me a break.

No you are right they will nip, as do most herding breeds including shelties, but that is what happens with BSL.

Bob

I do not have dogs at present I have 4 cats and I mande sure they all got fixed. I LOVE them but can not afford anymore and was not going to allow them to bring anyinto the world without knowing the kittens woudl all have loving homes

All of my animals (execpt fish of course) have been either strays or rescues. My Romeo nobody wanted him. The people who originally had him couldn’t get rid of him. They were going to put him to sleep or turn him loose. Poor baby. He’s one of the best cats I’ve ever had. (Strange actually that I have his brother as well.) Danny Boy the “show cat” was the most wanted. Everyone loves him and he is such a one person cat.

I really miss having a dog. Maybe some day I’ll get myself a Chinese Crested or something.

I actually saw that video about the puppy mills a while ago. I think it is terrible what they go thru. I have always heard they were bad, but now I espically think so.
              It is terrible what the government is doing to your area. Why would they want to drive up the prices of rent? They will just loose in the long run.

I have heard that pitbulls are agressive and when they attack their jaw locks and they can’t open it for a while. Is that the case?

Jodi
              Participant

RomeoDanny – which cat in your photo is which?

I almost got an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier when I went to get a second cat. Her name was Tilly and she was such a love. I still think about her and wish I’d gotten her sometimes. I think I still would’ve gotten Claire (my kitty) too. It was just hard to choose. I didn’t have time to take care of Tilly then though and she would’ve suffered for it (I worked two jobs). It probably turned out for the best and I hope she got a nice home where someone loved her and didn’t train her to fight.

Romeo is the dark grey cat, Danny Boy is the ginger/orange white cat.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.