fbpx

How many members have horses?

Home Forums Miscellany Community How many members have horses?

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

Heres some more

Oh, I like Taraco Fiasco! He looks pretty! Nice shape and a neat coloration πŸ™‚ Thanks for the links!

Hair doesn’t bother me much. I have so much of it myself πŸ˜› The cockers have a bunch of it too, though we do keep them clipped in a puppy cut. I’m still cleaning up after them.

Fells, Cleveland Bays, Lippizan (yeah right!), and Andalusians, among others, interest me, but I’ve little experience being around more than a few breeds, so I can’t say for sure of their temperament or not and what will be a good fit for me. Some I find very pretty (like Akhal Tekes), but they may not be very practical in the northeast πŸ˜‰ I’m not sure if this is just because I’m fairly beginner at riding, but I always had trouble at college getting up on larger horses from the ground (I’m 5’6″ – Piggy and one other horse I was ok with because they were shorter horses and I didn’t need to get up on a step never asked their height, but they were shorter than the others available). Not sure yet if that is inexperience or if it will be a determining factor in what I’ll get for a horse/pony (though this is many years in the future!). Arabians are pretty, but something about the shape of the head bugs me (Not sure why *shrug*), though they are very intelligent. I like the idea of something sure-footed, good temperament and personality, intelligent and hardy/durable.

Andrea
      Participant

That’s why the Welsh are cool. There are 4 different sizes. Mine, the As, are the smallest. No taller than 12.2 hands. Bs no taller than 13.2. Cs I think are 14? And Ds have no upper limit. The Ds are just gorgeous. Average is about 15 hands I think.

You could breed A to D and get a C. A to B to get a B. So many possibilities!

Maria
        Participant

We have two Haflingers and a Shetland pony.

Purplecat
          Participant

Haflingers are beautiful horses! Do you have any pics of them? πŸ˜€

I’m 5’8″ and my tallest horse is 15.2. I use a mounting block at home and hope for a stump or something if I absolutely *HAVE* to dismount on the trail. I can mount from the ground, but it’s a slow, awkward and painful (on my part πŸ˜› ) due to my arthritic knees. Getting old sux. But the best thing about short horses is less distance to fall. You don’t have time to think about it on the way down. πŸ˜€

I don’t know which Arabs you’ve seen, but not all of them look like the Taco Bell dog. πŸ˜‰

I don’t like the extremely exotic heads, either. My horses don’t have the exotic heads, but they are immediately identifiable as Arabs.
            I’ve worked with a lot of breeds, and the brains and sense of humor on the Arabs kept drawing me back.
            Variety is the spice of life, I guess. πŸ˜†

I’m with you on the mounting block or a stump thing! I hate mounting from the ground anyway, I don’t like pulling my horse over sideways.

Dancer was the worst as a young horse, since he thought I was a bigger more dominant horse and always gave when I pushed or pulled, so he’d literally almost fall over when I went to mount. LOL! Took him a while to figure out I wanted him to stand fast and even lean away a bit.

Kyrin

It’s funny because as a kid we all looked down our noses at the folks that used the mounting block. Now we come to find out that it’s better for the horses if we do. Less strain on the back muscles, and on the dorsal processes of the withers.
            Not to mention that there are days where mounting from the ground w/o the block just ain’t happenin’…. πŸ˜›

pipsxlch
            Participant

Wow, look at all the Arab folks! My mom raised Arabs the whole time I was growing up (the family still has them). Being from avowed QH country, I got used to the disparagement. Yeah, right, that’s why all the working ranch folk brought their mares to our stud each year, and would borrow him to work the cows when their horses were laid up. πŸ™„

Our horses were old timey bloodlines also. Great, super smart, loved to be with you/ doing for you. Our stud was the best babysitter you could find, we’d go to parades with him and give pony rides after. When I was 4-5 years (and he was 3-4ish), I’d be the one handling him and walking him between classes. This was a stud who’d been used as such and knew what a mare in heat was for, but he’d always listen to me. He was a *Serafix grandson, basically old domestic/Crabbet/Babson/Davenpoirt breeding.

My brother’s lady has the horses now. She has a colt sired by *Emanor I believe, she’s impressed by the stuff in the magazines. Too bad the colt’s greying, he’s dun like i haven’t seen in an Arab before (none of our breeding in this one). Back and shoulder stripes, even some zebra striping on the legs.

This is my daughter with Koci. Koci loves to give and receive hugs, you can’t run her off. This is what an Arab really is. Along with able to do anything you ask of him.
              [/i]

Aw, so lovely!
              I love ’em all. Mine’s a quarterhorse, but my aunt’s arab is so smart. I only have the one, but as the kids get older we’ll get at least one more πŸ™‚

Bob

I’d LOVE to have horses one day bit can’t afford them now
                DM’s eggs and hatchers!!

Leigha
                Participant

aww that’s so sweet, I want to hug the horsie

Purplecat
                  Participant

AAAaaaaw!!!! I wanna pet! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Such a cuuuuuute baby (my boys just saw the pix and squealed like little girls…. πŸ™„ πŸ˜† )

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

I can’t wait for more babies! We have 3 more coming, one is over due but this is her third foal and the first two were both over due so it seems that’s the way she’s going to be every year. She’s one of my two favorites so I can’t wait to see what we get! It’s the first foal crop for the new palomino stud πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.