fbpx

Homeschooling…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Homeschooling…

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author

In HS I took German, Spanish and 4 years of Latin (the only one in my class to do so). Unfortunately not enough of the first 2 to be fluent (have forgotten just about everything) but the latin helped with vocabulary and memorization. For awhile I could recite the first book of the Aenid from memory!

Dragon Master wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Probably…but the ethnic/cultural diversity of a city/area is probably also a deciding factor in how extensive the foreign language programs are.
    Which city did you go to high school in?

I grew up in San Mateo but that was 30 years ago too they may offer more now. French and Spanish was all

Wow, that’s surprising…I also went to high school a long time ago, and I had thought that the foreign language course offerings in all Bay Area schools would’ve been pretty similar. My high school was in San Francisco, and we had German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Russian, and Latin back then. I checked their website just now and it looks like they’ve since added Greek, Hebrew, Korean, and Pilipino.

mimitrek wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Probably…but the ethnic/cultural diversity of a city/area is probably also a deciding factor in how extensive the foreign language programs are.

I grew up in San Mateo but that was 30 years ago too they may offer more now. French and Spanish was all

Wow, that’s surprising…I also went to high school a long time ago, and I had thought that the foreign language course offerings in all Bay Area schools would’ve been pretty similar. My high school was in San Francisco, and we had German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Russian, and Latin back then. I checked their website just now and it looks like they’ve since added Greek, Hebrew, Korean, and Pilipino.

LUCKY!!! I never had those kinds of choices!

CherylKaufman wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

mimitrek wrote:

LUCKY!!! I never had those kinds of choices!

I never realized until we were having this discussion that my high school had a really good program. 🙂 I wish I had made better use of it — I only took German at the time (I took that for 6 years, but have forgotten almost everything by now).

Bob

Well there is part of the differences in the bay area. SF would have to offer more with all it’s deversity

Dragon Master wrote:

Well there is part of the differences in the bay area. SF would have to offer more with all it’s deversity

That certainly seems to be the case…

Bob

but with all the cutbacks in the schools I would be surprised if they can still afford to offer that many languages

Dragon Master wrote:

but with all the cutbacks in the schools I would be surprised if they can still afford to offer that many languages

Apparently they can…as I mentioned in my previous post, they’ve actually added 4 languages since I was there, and they currently offer a total of 12 languages.

Bob

WOW I wish I was going to school now then

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.