fbpx

Homeschooling…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Homeschooling…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Cool, Mimi, we agree again. 😀 I do think it’s very beneficial for any person to know more than his own language, whether it’s Spanish or otherwise. So I agree that kids should learn a second language in school of their choosing – not Spanish by default. Spanish is not even a North American language – French and English are. That’s why with so many Latinos and Spanish-speakers (first or second language) we would need to be careful that the emphasis is still on English, but unfortunately, that’s where the system goes wrong.

From a business standpoint, it seems that Chinese and Japanese are the most useful right now…at least for high tech. I took 6 years of German in middle school/high school (most of which I’ve forgotten), but in retrospect it would’ve been much more useful for me to have taken Japanese instead. My company has a plant in Germany also, but naturally the plants I’ve worked with are the ones in Japan…Murphy’s law again… 🙂

skigod377 wrote:

They have Spanish immersion and, i think, German immersion. I speak some Spanish, so I teach my son what I know. Its not much but it is more than most and better than nothing. 😀

Definitely! And it would be really neat if you could get him in one of the immersion programs. At his age, he’d be speaking the other language fluently in no time.

Bob

when my sister and I where in school the only 2 other languages you could take where spanich and french. I guess things have changed

Skigod377
      Participant

Well, I am assuming the reason German is offered is because we are in Germany. I dont think its common stateside. Anyone know?

wolflodge100
        Participant

I took German in high school. I think it is still offered.

Maria
          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Well, I am assuming the reason German is offered is because we are in Germany. I dont think its common stateside. Anyone know?

A lot of colleges offer it. I don’t know about normal schools, and the colleges I checked into are all based on Lutheran or other German-source Christianity.

skigod377 wrote:

In my area they do have German immersion programs as well as a lot of other immersion programs, but I’m not sure what’s available in other areas. The Bay Area in California is probably the most diverse area in the entire country, so there are probably quite a few more immersion programs around here than in other areas.

Skigod377
            Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

A lot of colleges offer it. I don’t know about normal schools, and the colleges I checked into are all based on Lutheran or other German-source Christianity.

I know colleges have it, I was just wondering if it was offered in high schools. I dont remember it being offered in any of mine, though Spanish was.

German is offered in all of the high schools around here, along with a lot of other languages.

Bob

I guess things must have changed in the last 20+ years

Probably…but the ethnic/cultural diversity of a city/area is probably also a deciding factor in how extensive the foreign language programs are.

Which city did you go to high school in?

Skigod377
                Participant

mimitrek wrote:

Who? Me?

Oh sorry…I was asking DM, since he had said in a previous post that his high school didn’t offer many languages…

Bob

mimitrek wrote:

Probably…but the ethnic/cultural diversity of a city/area is probably also a deciding factor in how extensive the foreign language programs are.

I grew up in San Mateo but that was 30 years ago too they may offer more now. French and Spanish was all

Growing up in Belton they too only offered french and spanish- I opted for Spanish.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.