fbpx

Hello from Ohio!

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Hello from Ohio!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bluestem
    Participant

Hi all! My name is Katie and I’ve been in love with Melody’s sculptures since I was a 10-year-old in the mid 90’s. I remember walking through a mall with my friends and seeing a display of beautifully lit emerald, peacock, and white dragons and was hooked. Every year, I’d save up my 2$/week allowance and buy myself one dragon for my birthday. I’ve always been an artist, nature nut, and armchair biologist/ornithologist, so even as I a kid I appreciated how anatomically sound Windstone Editions dragons were. They looked (and still do) like a real living animal that could spring to life at any moment. My adhd brain would spend hours studying the gradation of scales from small to large, how the dragons looked from different angles, and in different lights.

Over the years, I went to Columbus College of Art and Design, where I greatly enjoyed sculpting reptiles, dragons, birds, and dinosaurs. To this day, Melody’s sculptures continue to inspire me.

In my mid thirties (during the Covid pandemic) I went out to the middle-of-nowhere Missouri and lived in an ecovillage for a year. It was a great experience and I got to live as close to nature as I’d always wanted (swimming among crawfish and snapping turtles under the canvas of the Milky Way, milking goats, studying prairie forbs, living in a straw bale cabin, mixing earth plasters, catching brown snakes and prairie kingsnakes). However, before the move and in a fit of Marie Kondo-esque minimalism, I sold almost all of my dragons. The only ones I kept were my emerald Male and the dragon-in-hand wall sconce. Now that I’m back in my home state and in what I intend to be my forever home, the urge to collect Windstone Editions has come back full force! I’m so mad at myself for selling my old peacock scratching dragon, ruby mother dragon, ruby young dragon, circle of dragons candle holder, hatching emerald dragon, and emerald coiled dragon. Ah well! Live and learn.

Now closing in on my 40’s, I’ve picked up a brown Male dragon, peacock baby dragon, and copper coiled mother dragon. I look forward to collecting and studying these beautiful sculptures for the rest of my life. 🙂 Other things I enjoy/am obsessed with are: regional native plant gardening, birding, permaculture, nature-style fish keeping, raising cacti, taking care of my kitties and dog, playing D&D, writing, and being a big ol’ nerd. I am currently trying my best to clean my peacock baby dragon from cigarette smoke grime and trying not to lose my mind lol.

Happy to be here, finally!

"Ferdinand was content to just sit and smell the flowers."

~* Grails *~
      Secret Keeper in Brown
      All the Oriental Dragons in Emerald
      Cat Wizard
      Sea Fire Mermaid Sconce

Bodine
      Participant

Welcome!! Sounds like you will fit right in😁

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

etruscan
        Participant

Welcome!

Melody
          Keymaster

Welcome! You will enjoy the folks here, you will fit right in!

Bluestem
            Participant

Thanks, Melody! I’m very happy to be here! 😀

~* Grails *~
              Secret Keeper in Brown
              Cat Wizard
              Sea Fire Mermaid Sconce

Bluestem
              Participant

Thank you, Etruscan! Happy to be here. 🙂

~* Grails *~
                Secret Keeper in Brown
                Cat Wizard
                Sea Fire Mermaid Sconce

Bluestem
                Participant

Welcome!! Sounds like you will fit right in😁

Thank you for the welcome, Bodine! I am happy to be here!

~* Grails *~
                  Secret Keeper in Brown
                  Cat Wizard
                  Sea Fire Mermaid Sconce

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.