fbpx

Good Science Fiction novels?

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Good Science Fiction novels?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any good science fiction novels they wanted to share. I’m a big fan of Orson Scott Card but aside from him I haven’t found any really good ones.

The ones I have read include Robota, Ender’s Game, and Leviathan.
    I’ve also read The Termeraire Series and I am currently reading Irene Radford’s The Dragon Nimbus Chronicles, along with numerous Dinosaur text books.

So if anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear some. :3

Oh and I have also read a ton of Neil Gaiman.

dragonmedley
    Participant

Then you’re not just talking sci-fi, but also fantasy and urban fantasy (I think that might be the best place for Gaiman…)

I’m on the fourth book by Greg Keyes. The first of the series is called The Briar King. Tried it and loved it, and bought the 3 following books. It’s high fantasy.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Laurie
      Participant

Darn, first it’s Windstones and now more books…….I’m never gonna have any monies! 🙄 😉

Jasmine
        Participant

Love Neil Gaiman!! Good Sci-fi and Fantasy, Charles De Lint, Ursual Le Guin, George R. R. Martin, Simon R. Green (he’s one of my favs too), Mercedes Lackey…I also read a lot of paranormal fantasy/romance too if you want suggestions for those. 😀 At last count, I have over 1500 books (and a couple hundred on my wish list). 😳

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

These are the sci’fi’s I have read:

The Pit Dragon searies by Jane Yolen. This goes the Pern rout with dragons being indiginouse flying, fire breathing lizerds of an alien planet. Very unlike pern though, the planet is an ex prision planet where the people have a caste system, and the dragons are bread for eating and fighting.

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein: Not the movie.. this is what the movie was based on.

The Right to Arm Bears by Gordon R. Dickson: A race between species to gain an alliance with a single planet.

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn: Why is every one after this ship and what is it smuggling that every one wants?

Only Forword by Michael Marshall Smith: What happens when you have a nightmare? Every one says you are just dreaming but can you be sure of that?

The Myst searies. Get the Myst Reader. It has all three books, you need to READ them in order. It is a must. This searies fcuses on an underground civilization that can make stargates…which leads to the question…did humans come from earth????Or to earth??

Nightcrow
            Participant

Since you liked Ender’s Game, definitely check out Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold! (Also check out Cordelia’s Honor by same!) In a slightly different vein, you might also like On Basilisk Station by David Weber — much heavier on the military/tactical themes, and lacking the child-soldier angle, but also essentially about a clever commander waging space warfare.

I haven’t read the other two you mentioned, so I can’t base recommendations on that, but I’m a big fan of alien psychology in my sci-fi and character-driven writing, so if you like that sort of thing… things I’ve been reading lately include Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (well, I’m about 9 books into the series now, but that’s the first one!), which is all about humans trying to coexist with an alien race whose planet they’ve crash-landed on; atevi biology is deceptively like and also unlike humans, such that contact is limited to a single interpreter. By the same author and involving similar themes, though a bit more lighthearted, there’s The Pride of Chanur. (Leonine aliens encounter a stray human who’s at the center of interspecies political maneuvering; first contact from an alien perspective.)

Someone above mentioned Ursula LeGuin; I’ve only read her The Left Hand of Darkness, but I liked it very much — picture a fascinating society where people are genderless for most of their lives… and now drop a (“normal”) human into it.

My brain is fogging over now because it’s midnight, so I’ll save fantasy recommendations for some other time. 🙂

EtruscusShadow wrote:

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any good science fiction novels they wanted to share. I’m a big fan of Orson Scott Card but aside from him I haven’t found any really good ones.

The ones I have read include Robota, Ender’s Game, and Leviathan.
              I’ve also read The Termeraire Series and I am currently reading Irene Radford’s The Dragon Nimbus Chronicles, along with numerous Dinosaur text books.

So if anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear some. :3

Oh and I have also read a ton of Neil Gaiman.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Nina
              Participant

Have you read any Anne McCaffrey? Her Dragon riders of Pern books are great!

KoishiiKitty
                Participant

enchantments wrote:

For the life of me, I can NEVER find that first Pern book at the library!

Jasmine
                  Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

enchantments wrote:

Maybe you should ask them to order and hold it for you. I’m on a lot of reader blogs and that is what most of the people do if they can’t afford/not sure if they want to buy. Sometimes the wait list is long, but it’s worth it. 😀 I’d send you my copy to borrow but I’m pretty sure postage would be a little steep…

KoishiiKitty
                    Participant

Jasmine wrote:

Maybe you should ask them to order and hold it for you. I’m on a lot of reader blogs and that is what most of the people do if they can’t afford/not sure if they want to buy. Sometimes the wait list is long, but it’s worth it. 😀 I’d send you my copy to borrow but I’m pretty sure postage would be a little steep…

HAHA! Yeah the postage would. 🙂
                      I’ll probably buy the first book when I am ready to read it. I read Acorna by her and my sister read the Crystal Singer books, so she is a fave auther of ours.

Jasmine
                      Participant

The Tower and Hive series is excellent too.

Nina
                        Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

enchantments wrote:

DragonsDawn is the first book. If you want to borrow it I have a copy 🙂

KoishiiKitty
                          Participant

enchantments wrote:

KoishiiKitty wrote:

enchantments wrote:

DragonsDawn is the first book. If you want to borrow it I have a copy 🙂
                            Nyeee!! That would be super awesome if you would not mind! 😀

bayoudragon
                            Participant

Call me a dweeb, but I am enjoying the Fablehaven series (Brandon Mull). 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.