fbpx

Glazing PYOs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Glazing PYOs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyrrlin
    Participant

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

Tyrrlin
      Participant

While at the on-post art (ceramics) shop, I was talking up the PYOs to the lady who works there. She might be interested in stocking some of the PYOs, but asked if they could stand up to the glazing process that the ceramics go through (I think) in order to create some of the effects they have. I wasn’t sure, but I said I’d ask.

So now I’m asking. Hopefully you know what she’s talking about because I don’t. πŸ˜› The shop has a “class” every Tuesday night where people can come and paint ceramics that are then fired and glazed. (The part I don’t understand is the the unpainted ceramics are already fired/hard, so why would they be fired again?)

Would the PYOs be able to handle that kind of treatment?

dragonmedley
        Participant

I’ll let Melody add on, but I think the answer is no. Clay and ceramic get fired, then painted (with glaze). They are then fired once again and the paint hardens and becomes smooth. I can see where your teacher’s going with this: glazed Windstones would look awesome.

However, I don’t think the gypsum Windstones are made of can survive the kiln.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Melody
          Keymaster

Tyrrlin wrote:

While at the on-post art (ceramics) shop, I was talking up the PYOs to the lady who works there. She might be interested in stocking some of the PYOs, but asked if they could stand up to the glazing process that the ceramics go through (I think) in order to create some of the effects they have. I wasn’t sure, but I said I’d ask.

So now I’m asking. Hopefully you know what she’s talking about because I don’t. πŸ˜› The shop has a “class” every Tuesday night where people can come and paint ceramics that are then fired and glazed. (The part I don’t understand is the the unpainted ceramics are already fired/hard, so why would they be fired again?)

No, you can’t fire gypsum.
            Ceramic clay hardens because the high heat of firing drives off the chemically combined water in the clay body. This changes it forever, making it waterproof ( meaning it will never turn back into clay) and rock hard.
            Gypsum sets up by itself with a chemical reaction that bonds water into its crystaline structure.
            The glazes are painted onto the once-fired ceramic piece and then it is fired again. This turns the powdery glaze into a gorgeous glass coating.
            Very cool.
            We use gypsum instead of slip-cast clay for Windstones, because gypsum is one of the few materials that can be cast in a flexible rubber mold,which allows the sharp detailed undercuts. If you look at ceramic figurines, they will have very few, if any undercuts.
            It is fun to go to a gift shop, or antique shop and analyze what each figurine is made of by the way it looks!
            I love ceramics! It is totally fascinating.Making ceramic molds and casting them is so much fun.In the back of my head I still fantasize about setting up my kiln again.

Tyrrlin
            Participant

Thank you, Melody.

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Melody wrote:

Tyrrlin wrote:

No, you can’t fire gypsum.
                Ceramic clay hardens because the high heat of firing drives off the chemically combined water in the clay body. This changes it forever, making it waterproof ( meaning it will never turn back into clay) and rock hard.
                Gypsum sets up by itself with a chemical reaction that bonds water into its crystaline structure.
                The glazes are painted onto the once-fired ceramic piece and then it is fired again. This turns the powdery glaze into a gorgeous glass coating.
                Very cool.
                We use gypsum instead of slip-cast clay for Windstones, because gypsum is one of the few materials that can be cast in a flexible rubber mold,which allows the sharp detailed undercuts. If you look at ceramic figurines, they will have very few, if any undercuts.
                It is fun to go to a gift shop, or antique shop and analyze what each figurine is made of by the way it looks!
                I love ceramics! It is totally fascinating.Making ceramic molds and casting them is so much fun.In the back of my head I still fantasize about setting up my kiln again.

Yay! Tha makes me happy to hear because everyone is always telling me how “ugly” ceramics are. I know they are not and will NEVER be as sharp and detailed as a Windstone, but I’m still fond of them and they are fun to pour, clean, fire and paint. Glazes are a pain, but the crystals are very pretty. I’m fond of the crackle too. *shrug* I dunno, I guess it’s what i grew up with so I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.