fbpx

Fish Dragons and more

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Fish Dragons and more

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

So I am finally back to painting again! And I thought it’d be neat to do some Artist’s Edition dragons that are inspired by fish colors/patterns.

I have a few fish in mind already that I’m going to start on today, but you guys know I love input. πŸ™‚

A few things to keep in mind:

-Fish with patterns that are easy to replicate on large scale groups are idea. e.g. Koi, arrowana.
        -I am trying to stay away from very ‘contrasting’ patterns, and patterns that are very ‘busy’.
        -On the other hand, I am trying to stay away from fish that are a single color, or are too simple… e.g. a red betta. (I’m trying to paint things that cannot be done easily with an airbrush, so that I’m not ‘competing’ with Melody!)

Fish I hope to try (but as a disclaimer I might change my mind!)
      – Koi
      – Arrowana
      – Dwarf cichlids

Types of fish (that I love) that I am shying away from, because I don’t think that I can pull it off and have it look nice:
      – Lion fish
      – Mandarin goby (these guys are SO pretty but I think it’d look really garish and terrible on most Windstones!)
      – Clown Fish
      – Etc

I’m also going to see if I can’t make a dragon look good in the Labradorite color I used on the griffins….

So! What do you guys think?

[/]

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

KoishiiKitty
        Participant

I think that sounds really awesome Nam. I love Koi, so i am really excited about that one.

the first that come to my mind if Beta fish. I love thier bright colors and large fins.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I know squat about fish names, but… how about the blue fish from Finding Nemo, Dory??? The one with memory problems. You have beautiful blues right there, with some yellows.

And what about seahorses? Their patterns could be used on the PYO dragon, as its shape is a bit similar.

πŸ™‚

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jennifer
            Keymaster

dragonmedley wrote:

I know squat about fish names, but… how about the blue fish from Finding Nemo, Dory??? The one with memory problems. You have beautiful blues right there, with some yellows.

And what about seahorses? Their patterns could be used on the PYO dragon, as its shape is a bit similar.

πŸ™‚

The patterns on Royal Blue Tangs (Dory) are very ‘sharp’ with well defined edges and large areas of a single color… Not something I think would translate well!

You pretty much hit the dime on my favorites. Maybe something of a mixed breed/fantasy colored salmon would be neat with splotchy blood red on top and shining, dark textured pewter/silver with a pearl belly, perhaps specks of metallic navy. I’ve had to de-scale summer catch before and the way their scales are iridescent of every color is so gorgeous. But trying to wash them off skin is a pain! lol

Adaneth
              Participant

Arrowana and cichlid-inspired patterns sound great! I’m with Nuke, too–some ‘plainer’ fish like trout and salmon can be just gorgeous, even if they’re not tropical! I’ve a fondness for dwarf gouramis of different colors, but they might be a bit ‘busy.’ While I love bettas, most of them seem more suited to airbrush work, though more wild-type bettas have some fantastic scale markings/iridescence. I’m fond of the related paradise fish too–http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paradise_fish_female_and_male_02.jpg

Setsunawolf
                Participant

I like blue gill. The blue on the scales is always unique and it’s a gorgeous color.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

kitsunelady
                  Participant

I had to look some of those fish up. e.e; But I like the Mandarin Goby~

I was looking at a magazine called ‘Coral’ the other day and thinking how nifty some of those fish patterns would look on a Windstone, too! .> They had some really nice photos for reference. =)

Jennifer wrote:

I’m also going to see if I can’t make a dragon look good in the Labradorite color I used on the griffins….

I have your Labradorite curlie! You don’t think he’s pretty!?
                    I get so many compliments on him. He is the prize of my collection πŸ™‚

kitsunelady
                    Participant

I’d like to see Labradorite on a BIG dragon! =D

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

I like to see a Betta colored fish dragons. I don’t know the technical term for the actual color but I really love the blue/green colored guys with the red/purple-ish fins. I know the colors kinda contrast, but still, I would love to see that. A pretty little plain oid gold fish colored dragon would be very cute to. I love to see a koi Fledgling dragon as well πŸ˜€ !

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

Griffinlover wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

The curlie was easy compared to big dragons with big scales… yeep. I’m working on a Lap now…

I’m really glad you like the labradorite curlie! πŸ™‚ I think he is very nice! I wanted to keep him.

Patricia
                          Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Griffinlover wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

The curlie was easy compared to big dragons with big scales… yeep. I’m working on a Lap now…

I’m really glad you like the labradorite curlie! πŸ™‚ I think he is very nice! I wanted to keep him.

A lap? Awesome! I can’t wait to see it.

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

siberakh1
                            Participant

Ooooh, Lion fish dragons! I can’t wait to see some of the dragons you create based on this idea! πŸ™‚

I had a small pyo dragon I was trying to paint in a gecko pattern I found particularly appealing. It turned out to not work very well, so he became my desert sands dragon (turned out well, but not what I originally intended). The pattern I found didn’t translate easily to a pyo well. LOTs of small little spots that just didn’t seem to work well on the scales, or not enough scales to make it work well! :shrug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.