fbpx

First Rescued Husky of 2012 Is Heartworm FREE!!!!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community First Rescued Husky of 2012 Is Heartworm FREE!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Riversgrace
    Participant

Got a call a few days ago from another rescue in the area, saying they needed big help from the husky expert…so I accepted to take her on (Since I don’t have my 501c3 I have limited funds, and I can only do what my paycheck allows me to). She’s from a hoarding case, and is in pretty bad shape. She is about 20 pounds underweight, no social skills, has no idea what treats are, no idea what to do with a toy or a bone, and has no idea what people are. Of course she is not spayed so she is in heat right now which is stressful as it is for her and now she got removed from her environment. She is very skinny, and scared. Oh man can she eat though! She gobbled her first feeding down, then was looking for more. I hope when I give her, her afternoon meal she responds a little to me. I have my work cut out for me on the rehabilitation department.

So here is what I am curious on…what to name her!? I am enlisting everyone’s help on this! She is a red and white female, with blue eyes…

Carolyn
      Participant

How about Shasta . I’ve always liked that name .

Skeeterdeee
        Participant

I bet she’s very scared and shy, how ’bout Shiloh or Cheyenne?? (those are probably misspelled!)

Ann

Yay for saving a life! It is awesome that you are willing to put all that work into her. The rescue I volunteer for takes in the animals that the other rescues don’t want. Those with major injuries, need surgery, or need to be taught what it’s like to be a dog. When they are ready for adoption, they are the sweetest and most well behaved. A couple of the rescues (the mean ones) call our rescue the “one for the retards.” Yeah, so nice of them.

As for a name, what color is she? Any unique markings? I just watched Harry Potter, so I’m going to suggest Hermione, since she was socially awkward at first too.

Riversgrace
            Participant

Those are all great! I want to take a picture of her, but she is in such bad shape I think I will wait a couple days so I can get her cleaned up and de-flead…I will post a few when I do get some of her though πŸ™‚

She is red and white, with blue eyes. Not much of an oak leaf…more like white kiss marks with a teeny lil white stripe between them. HUGE paws, and when she goes through a shed with the proper diet I would wager that she will have a beautiful dark copper coat. Her nose is pinker than most duddley noses too…

Most rescues here do NOT take huskies at all, if they do get rescued they go out of area. And only the good, plug and play ones make it that far. Like you, I am known for taking in the ones no one wants, or the ones that are too far gone for most rescues to put that much time into them to get them right in the head…but I find that they are the greatest ‘saves’ of all. And its more rewarding to see them when the transformation is complete πŸ™‚

briteblades
              Participant

Freya! A good norse goddess name! πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                Participant

How about Claire? If we’d had a girl along the way that’s what her name would’ve been πŸ™‚ It means bright & clear, clever…

twindragonsmum πŸ™‚

tdm

Grayfire_artz
                  Participant

nanuki , ungayok (means love :3), hazukashii or hazu for short it means shy πŸ˜€

Riversgrace
                    Participant

I love all the names! So hard to pick just one!

Bad News though…a dog that was also surrendered to another rescue from this guy, just came back positive for heartworms. Which means she is at a high risk now herself for having them. I had funding for her shots, testing, and spay…but not the 1500.00 it will take to treat her if she has heartworms…

Talk about biting off more than I could chew! I have no idea what I am going to do! Rescue drives me nuts sometimes…

Misty
                      Participant

Poor thing πŸ™ hope she turns out negative. It’s so sad when folks dont take care of their critters.

Akitla might be a good name…means snow falling on water lol.

Hopefully all will turn out well.

littleironhorse
                        Participant

…white kiss…

You know, that’s actually a pretty good name! πŸ™‚

Setsunawolf
                          Participant

Asha would be my suggestion. It means Hope.
                            Where do you live that HW treatment is 1500 bucks? The last time I treated for HW it ran about 300 maybe 400. If I take them to Indy there is a vet there who gives my rescue a huge discount and it’s cheapest there.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Riversgrace
                            Participant

I live by Fresno, which is in CA…everything out here is high…and since the cases of heartworm are few and far between, they charge high prices. I am hoping that the Boston that is positive was exposed a long time ago and that since she is young she hasn’t caught it from being in his area…I will know more tomorrow. My vet will probably give me a discount, but it sure will be more than 300…with the xrays and everything else its going to be high. 1500 for her size is normal out here πŸ™ Stupid mosquitoes…

Syn
                              Participant

My niece’s husband (boyfriend back then) had a cat with heartworms. I didn’t even know cats got heartwoms. From what I recall, he wasn’t outside all that much; but it was enough. He turned out to have seven of them and had to be put down.

Riversgrace
                                Participant

Sadly on an animal that size 7 adult worms would be fatal quickly…during treatment the drugs given put the worms to sleep so they let go of their area and can get clogged in the heart…so sad and unusual a cat would get them πŸ™

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.