fbpx

First Dragon – Need Some Advice

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone First Dragon – Need Some Advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ChristinaV
    Participant

This is my first dragon – and it’s been a learning experience. The above pic is of the “wash” layer – I just wanted a very light layer to remind me where to put the colors, and I now wish that I’d kept it this simple… the antiquing medium darkened things up a bit, and while it’s still pretty, it’s not as bright as I’d like. More of a late-season autumn leaf than the “perfect” autumn leaf I’d gotten in this first version.

Any tips for lightening the shades, now that the Antiquing medium is on?

Also – if a color layer doesn’t come out well, or (in my case) if your paint turns out to be gloss finish and you didn’t realize it (luckily, it was only the detailing on the chest scales), what’s the best way to mitigate the damage? Just work with it? Layer on another color? Change your color scheme and work with it as best you can?

I tried to sand the gloss finish down, but the results weren’t great, and I was afraid I’d mar the detailing, so I wound up repainting them pretty much as-is.

I’m now working on adding a teeny bit of metallic gold detailing, and will be ready for the protective final layer soon.

Tips for lightening things would be greatly appreciated – I’d like to bring out more of the yellow. Will try to post a pic of the current version, but camera isn’t working well.

While no one is expected to leap tall buildings in a single
      bound, our aspiring heroes will be tested on their courage,
      integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness -
      the stuff of all true superheroes.
      - Stan Lee

ChristinaV
      Participant

Okay – the image didn’t show up. Trying again.

- Stan Lee

ChristinaV
        Participant

Today’s work – detailed, antique medium added.

- Stan Lee

Zelda
          Participant

Wow, very pretty! I like the mixing of colors around the belly area 🙂

If you’re looking to tone down the gloss finish on the paint, you can brush a satin or matte clear gloss coat over it. Or, if you use a sealant to finish the whole piece that is flat or matte, that will do the same thing.

As for making the yellow pop, you could do something like a bright yellow wash over the yellow parts, to bring out some of the detail in the scales. Or spots, maybe. It’s up to you!

Best of luck, it’s looking great already.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Rachel
            Participant

Nice! Very, very nice, especially for a first try.

Tara
              Participant

If you want to add color to the surface without messing up the antiquing you could try dry brushing. It only leaves paint on the surface and doesn’t go into the cracks(unless you have too much paint on the brush).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.