fbpx

Finished painting (New paintings at the end, April 3)

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Finished painting (New paintings at the end, April 3)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Participant

This one is gorgeous, too. But a couple of constructive criticisms…it seems flatter than the others you’ve posted. The depth, particularly on the female against the snow, just isn’t there. The detail, though, is fabulous. I’m not sure why the depth just seems to be missing.

Jerusha
      Participant

Your art is amazing – there are qualities that I have always been astonished by, when the artist can pull them off (like the one of the coastal waves – getting the luminosity of the sunlight through the cresting wave, too cool).
        The most recently posted pair of swimming ducks is gorgeous. The level of detail is excellent, the proportions and artistic realism are outstanding too. I have one thing to point out. Having spent hours on sites like “photoshop disasters” for fun and amusement, I couldn’t help but noticing that the reflection of the foreground duck is upside down! The stripes on the back should be furthest away from his body in the reflection, instead of closer in, and the reflection has a white spot on the reflected back, that isn’t on the duck himself. Just sayin’.

Mmloda
        Participant

That is awsome!

Marzena

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Here’s one I nearly forgot to show here. This was my entry for the Federal Duck Stamp contest.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

BDW
            Participant

It’s beautiful Jen as always!
              I love the colors! 🙂
              Wishing you luck!

machineguts
              Participant

I love your duck paintings so much! The way you paint water is just astonishing!!

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Blackdesertwind wrote:

It’s beautiful Jen as always!
                  I love the colors! 🙂
                  Wishing you luck!

Thanks BDW! I did terrible in this competition but I will try harder next yer. 🙂 Here are the scores. http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/10score.htm
                  Despite that a lot of people got “O” (out) in round one, you got out if you had less than 3/5 “IN” votes. So most of the entries got at least one “IN”…. I got… zero!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

machineguts
                  Participant

Jennifer wrote:

I did terrible in this competition but I will try harder next yer. 🙂 Here are the scores. http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/10score.htm
                    Despite that a lot of people got “O” (out) in round one, you got out if you had less than 3/5 “IN” votes. So most of the entries got at least one “IN”…. I got… zero!

Wow. That is one stiff competition! 😮

Bodine
                    Participant

Gorgeous of course,absolutely 🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

i think its stunning!

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

Wow. Stunning as always, Jen.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

Thanks guys! You are very kind.

Yes.. the competition is very, very stiff! And quite expensive to enter. I will probably be doing less of these for a while once I finish my current workload… just can’t afford to keep entering them!

Hannah
                          Participant

I call shenanigans! First and second place were swept by two people who were obviously related – they even did the same duck! Also, their skies were overcast 🙁

Alright alright, they were pretty awesome too. But your water is so amazing! And the way you capture the light on the green duck’s head is amazing! And i’m not biased, not at all.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

WolfenMachine
                            Participant

You are listed as LAST? BEEEE S! Your work is just as good if not better than the top 3. The first 2 look too much alike. The third one is pretty. Your picture is gorgeous though! And its not sexist! You CLEARLY have a male and female duck 🙂

Rachel
                              Participant

Yeral wrote:

I call shenanigans! First and second place were swept by two people who were obviously related – they even did the same duck! Also, their skies were overcast 🙁

Alright alright, they were pretty awesome too. But your water is so amazing! And the way you capture the light on the green duck’s head is amazing! And i’m not biased, not at all.

You know what? I don’t often deal in conspiracy theories, but I totally agree with this. The ONLY thing that these two MIGHT have over your painting is the unusual lighting. While the top two were perfectly good paintings of White Fronted geese (edited to correct species–oops), the second place one isn’t quite right, and neither of them did a great job with the reeds. That being said, there’s always room for improvement. If I were you, I would try to get some inspiration from the lighting you can find during sunsets and just after heavy summer storms. They give an interesting light quality that might bring out a bit more depth in your paintings and make them stand out to the judges as something worth looking twice at.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.